Retired #10: Mark McVeigh - Appointed coach of GWS Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

McVeigh is done, unfortunately. His body can't cope any more.

In a way, it was lucky for him and Hird - no tap on the shoulder required.

If we want to delist him and GWS are happy to give him 2 years why not. Let the boy play on. He is a good player he just has had a horrible run with injuries.

Has had a good run with injuries compared to alot of other players. Not counting his first two years where he played 1 game and 9 games but he has had 7 seasons where he has played more than 20 games and another 2 seasons where he played 18 games and another 2 seasons where he played only 12 and 14 games.

So taking out his first two years as a youngster earning his spot in a top side and this year he has had seasons of

That doesn't look like a horrible run with injuries to me.

Ultimately (for reasons best known to others) the guy’s peak was just ridiculously short. About half a season. I still remember the pre-season of 08, all the noise that was coming out how he’d had a huge pre-season, developed a massive tank, and was absolutely flying in the midfield in practice games.

I thought “meh”, but then out he comes and absolutely kills em once the season starts. He was a genuinely damaging midfielder. I think he may have had 15 or so Brownlow votes that year. Remember a big one against Carlton, think he had 30 odd and kicked 4 in a big win.

Then he got injured about mid-year, didn’t recover his form that year, and never recovered it again. That was it for him unfortunately.

But just as importantly, he was 27 by that stage. Who knows why it never happened sooner. He certainly wasn’t a mainstay in the midfield prior to then. It must have been something (gulp) Knights did to get it out of him. He absolutely thrived throughout that pre-season and through until about June.

Really have to look at the guy’s career and wonder why the hell he wasn’t training hard and playing where he should have been (exclusively in the guts) from the start. Who knows, whether it was him, his attitude, Sheeds, a reflection of the general mediocrity round the joint... whatever.

Best of luck to him anyway.

Great speech Spike.

Tried his guts out for the EFC each and every week. People sometimes forget that when we were really plumbing the depths, he was often the only thing stopping us from getting annihilated.

A true bomber, I'm only sorry we couldn't get him a flag.

If this club is to win a flag in the near future, thanks will have to be given to Spike for his leadership, courage and example.

a true Essendon legend and a really good player at his peak.
I really feel for him as I sense that there was nothing he wanted more then to play in an essendon premiership
thanks for everything sike

One of my favourite players and I wish him all the best in his future endeavors - great clubman, leader, personality and memories of Spike.

Breaking into our successful squad between 1999-2001, willingness and ongoing effort to do whatever was best for the club, when he was in career best form and I thought he was in brownlow contention before injury (07-08) and ultimately missing out on becoming captain later in his career.

All the best Spike.

A few father sons would be nice too - get cracking Spike.

091005_carpet_12.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back