Retired #18: Matthew Lloyd - Diagnosed with Bell's Palsy - 15/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Thompson do anything anymore? I'm not sure that he does.

I'm an advocate of the Sunday Footy Show, though. Despite being a show that has more to do with analysis and criticism and whatnot, it's consistently funnier than that limp excuse for great television that they shovel out on Thrusday nights. In fact, I wish Newman was on the Sunday program. Twould be much better.

Yeah I dunno.

Sometimes he can be quite insightful, quite frank and honest.
Other times it's like he's carrying the can for something.

I don't think he's (that) dumb, just maybe a bit jaded and/or gets lazy at times ( a la Darcy).

At least he's in the media, I guess. Alan Joyce is a tour guide for the MCC or something.

There's the odd stat though that Jewell and Walls are the only two premiership coaches of the 80s who only got one flag. And that's if you count 1980 as the 80s.

People do seem to forget that Walls did that, though.

Speaking of and going back to the topic at the same time, I'd sorta hoped that Lloyd would replace Roos OTC. I think in that environment Lloyd would present better, for some reason. Roos has been very ordinary.

A combination of the two would be alright; Darcy speaks quite eloquently, but the content is absolute drivel, whereas Lloyd's content is fairly good and his delivery medicore.

So what we really need is Lloydy in another room talking into a mike that feeds Luke Darcy's ear piece and he CAN'T SAY ANYTHING that doesn't come through that ear piece.

Imagine the fun Matty could have..

I'm not disagreeing or anything and I haven't got much time for him, but is Robert Walls the most disrespected premiership coach ever? It seems like it.

My belly button lint could have coached the carlton side he coached to a flag.

If he's the most disrespected it's only because it's well deserved.

The people have spoken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel honoured to have watched him play. My father talks of watching King Dick and John Coleman and Bill Hutcheson which makes me envious and proud at the same time. But I watched Matty Lloyd play for my club over 250 times and I loved EVERY second of it. In fact I think I've been blessed a hundred times over when I think of the guys I've watched in the red and black. Guys like Lloydy, Jimmy, Mercs and Misty, Bomber and Harvs, Longy, Vander, TD and of course the great Simon Madden. Matthew Lloyd stands shoulder to shoulder with them all. Not in front and not behind because that's not how we do it here. I bet those champions my dad cheered would stand shoulder to shoulder with him as well, because he wore red and black, and he knew no fear.:footy:

(And cleaning up a Hawk was the perfect end to a great career)

Because of his last four or five years, a lot of people tend to somehow forget how good he was.

Lightning on the lead, great leap, didn't drop a mark, and by far the most reliable set shot in the league.

Post Lockett, Lloyd would still be the best Full Forward I've seen. No current player comes close.

Hard to split Lloyd and Hird when talking about who was my favourite in my younger days. They're boring choices, but part of it with Lloyd was the great swell that would go through the crowd whenever he got it (metaphorically... don't go there).

The fact that his captaincy was during a particularly dark period for the club probably doesn't help his standing in the immediate term, but it's undeniable that he's an absolute great of the club. Just a shame that it's only the one flag on the ledger.

Hard to split Lloyd and Hird when talking about who was my favourite in my younger days. They're boring choices, but part of it with Lloyd was the great swell that would go through the crowd whenever he got it (metaphorically... don't go there).

The fact that his captaincy was during a particularly dark period for the club probably doesn't help his standing in the immediate term, but it's undeniable that he's an absolute great of the club. Just a shame that it's only the one flag on the ledger.

Those two were responsible for my becoming an Essendon supporter.

But Lloyd was always my favourite.

To hell with The Footy Show. Get him in as forwardline coach.

Hird, Thompson, Lloyd, Wellman marching down from the box (not that you do that at the 'G anymore) would be the greatest thing ever bar none.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back