Retired #5: Terry Daniher - Authentic as they come

Remove this Banner Ad

Terry Daniher (1957 - )

P1020196_%28360x480%29.jpg

Playing Career:

South Melbourne Football Club (1976-1977)
  • 19 games, 22 goals
Essendon Football Club (1978-1992)
  • 294 games, 447 goals
Height: 188cm
Weight: 89kg

• Essendon premiership captain 1984/1985
  • Essendon captain 1983-1988
  • Essendon Team of the Century: Half-forward flank
  • W.S. Crichton Medal 1982
  • Essendon leading goalkicker 1979, 1983
  • Essendon assistant coach 1999-2002
  • Collingwood assistant coach 2003
  • St Kilda assistant coach 2004-2005
  • Carlton assistant coach 2006-2007
  • Leigh Matthews Trophy 1983
  • AFMA Player of the Year 1984
  • All-Australian 1983, 1988
  • All-Australian Captain 1985
  • 11-time Victorian representative
  • 4-time New South Wales representative
  • AFL Hall of Fame inductee, 1998

Started this thread because last night's MVP awards was yet another reminder of what a geniune, straight-down-the-line country export this bloke is, and that there seems to be no one like him in the game anymore at all. The city life seems to have left no mark on him, and most curiously of Essendon's recent premiership captains, there is no Sheeds in him. Whatsoever. I can see it in Thompson, I can see it in Hird, I can see it in a lot of other Essendon expats including Harvey and Hardwick, but there's just no trace of it in TD whatsoever. Seems curious to me, although he did play under Barry Davis and Ian Stewart as well I guess.

Since TD was before my time really, just wondering what the thoughts are for those Bomber supporters who witnessed the glory days of the '84/'85 flags.

bloody legend of a bloke. I caught the train to the Carlton game last season and there was TD & Vanders on the train! Vanders was a bit stand-offish, but TD was up for a chat for the whole 45 minute trip! I shared a few of my beers with him and by the end we were best buddies. It didn't matter that we got done that day, I'd hung out with my childhood hero.

as for the type of player he was. he led from the front, he was cool in a crisis and he was Mr Fixit. if the oppositions CHF was tearing us a new one, TD would go to him. if the FF was killing us, Terry would go to the goal square. if we needed a goal, Terry would go up forward. extremely versatile, a fantastic set of hands and a great kick for goal. throughout the lean years of 86-90 he was our most consistent player. if there was a fight breaking out on the field, or one of our boys was getting roughed up, TD was straight in - he didn't take any s.hit or let any of our guys be pushed around.

nothing but love and respect for the player and the man. legend in every sense of the word

I remember chatting with Terry in his final year at Essendon. He was seeing out the season in the twos finals and just running endless laps at Windy Hill in preparation for the game. I was sitting on the fence and each time he went past we exchanged a few words and a laugh. Great fella.

When they made Terry Daniher they broke the mould.

Will always own the no.5 in my book and captains my all time best Essendon side. You always knew when T.D was approaching the ball particularly @ Windyhill, it was like a low humm of "terrrrryyyy" as he led for the ball, beautiful to listen to/be a part of. South Melbourne, you dickheads. If ever a club has been done over hook line and sinker it's them. It continues to this day.

Not sure if ive told this story before but my mate (a collingwood fan) was drinking in the front bar at Crown one day a few years back, EFC had just had a function in the Palladium and a few old timers had spilled out into the bar. My mate worked up the guts and went over to say hello to him and goad him about 1990, Terry chatted footy with him for about 15 minutes then said, "i have to hit the loo mate" and went off. My mate thought it was a brush off but then Terry came back with a pint for him!

what a legend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back