News Past Players Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the VFL's best ever FB's, and one of our best in the 70-80"s.
We have been blessed with great FB"s.
This champ ws one of my all-time favourites, yet he'll struggle to make any best ever team.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Malarkey

Among the Geelong FBs I've seen he's second only to Scarlett, and not by much, either.

Paul Vinar, Roy West, John Scarlett, John Sharrock, Gary Malarkey. Mathew Scarlett, Tom Lonergan……..not a bad bunch……

Chose to leave Tim Darcy out
I would add Benny Graham- he was excellent there for the time he was required.

Last edited:
One of my favourite players in the 70s was Larry Donohue. He played for the Cats from 1973-1980, was our leading goalkicker between 1975-1978 and won the Coleman Medal in 1976, after kicking 99 goals.
image.jpg

I can still remember how excited I was the day he kicked 8 goals straight. I just loved that bloke!
His record shows that his best haul was 9 goals (vs Sth Melb in 1976), with 6 bags of 8 goals over the course of his career.

Unfortunately Larry played only 11 games in 1979, followed by 4 games in 1980, before being traded to Fitzroy- though he never played a game for the Lions as injuries forced him to retire at the tender age of 25. :(

Back in those days, I was just a young whippersnapper- much MUCH younger than I am now- and only got footy news from the papers or the radio.

Can anyone fill me in on what Larry's injuries were?

Having experienced first hand the ethos displayed by Gary Sidebottom when captain at StKilda, (sacked the next year) and remembering he was suspended by Geelong because of his lousy attitude, I would suggest he is never included in a team of greats of Geelong FC….not even as an emergency.

The guy was a clown.
Have to agree!

Also, agree with with the above poster on Larry Donohue.
Deserves more mentions than he has ever received.
Top bloke as well.

And I rated Stephen O'Reilly very highly in his two seasons with us. The guy who went to Fremantle and then hilariously to Carlton wasn't anywhere near the same player.
Agree.
IIRC, I think he was found out a little in a final or 2 when playing for us.

I can't quite remember O'Reilly playing for us. All I do remember is how bloody slow he was, like Brett Spinks slow.
The GF v WCE he was poor, but most of our team was.
He tore a hammy off the bone at Freo after 3 pretty good years there. His last 2 years at Freo were nowhere as good as 95-97.
And I rated Stephen O'Reilly very highly in his two seasons with us. The guy who went to Fremantle and then hilariously to Carlton wasn't anywhere near the same player.

He was in their best 6 players in those years. At Carlton, he injured his back, and looked to be a dud for those reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for another past player to be honored? What about the enigmatic Gavin Exell? Emerged from obscurity, dominated in what could have been a premiership year in 1989 and disappeared almost as quickly as he arrived. I was at the Hawthorn v Geelong game in '89 when he kicked a lazy 9 goals. Cats managed to lose the game even though we kicked 25 goals!

How blessed was Geelong with forwards who could kick bagfulls of goals in the late 80's / early 90's - Ablett, Exell, Lindner, Brownless, Cameron, Stoneham, and even, yes, Dwayne Russell....well maybe not Russell

upload_2014-12-4_12-34-53.jpeg

Last edited:
Time for another past player to be honored? What about the enigmatic Gavin Exell? Emerged from obscurity, dominated in what could have been a premiership year in 1989 and disappeared almost as quickly as he arrived. I was at the Hawthorn v Geelong game in '89 when he kicked a lazy 9 goals. Cats managed to lose the game even though we kicked 25 goals!

How blessed was Geelong with forwards who could kick bagfulls of goals in the late 80's / early 90's - Ablett, Exell, Lindner, Brownless, Cameron, Stoneham, and even, yes, Dwayne Russell....well maybe not Russell

View attachment 95612
From Wikipedia, he kicked 8 goals the week after that Hawks game. Injured for the 89 GF, but topped our goal kicking with 63 that year. Seemed to fizzle out after that and left Geelong after 1991, went to Fitzroy 1992, 5 games only.
He ended up at Kyabram and kicked over 100 goals in 2000, 2001, 2003.

Paul Vinar, Roy West, John Scarlett, John Sharrock, Gary Malarkey. Mathew Scarlett, Tom Lonergan……..not a bad bunch……

Chose to leave Tim Darcy out

I always felt for Darcy - looked more like a flanker than a FB.
Looked to try his guts out every week but just didn't have the size to compete there IMHO
You wonder how good we could have been in that era had we had a class FB...............

who were Geelong's greatest markers of all time?
Like not just contested marks but players who had the whole repertoire and were brilliant when it was one-on-one and the high ball coming in.
Hawkins is today's modern day goliath. Where would Doug Wade rank? What about Larry Donohue, Polly Farmer and Jack Hawkins?

Ablett would have to be up there as too Harry Taylor I would have thought.

Brownless another exceptionally gifted mark.
As far as past players,
Ablett.
Rex Hunt for 1 season.
Peter Johnston.
Bill Ryan.
Jack Hawkins.
Paul Jeffries.
Billy was spectacular at times, but often criticised for soft hands.
Not Larry Donohue. Great on the lead though.
Polly Farmer.
John Barnes.
Tom Harley was good in that situation.
Matty Egan also

A couple of really good marks in defence, surprisingly,
Michael Mansfield,
Ken Hinkley
and up forward,
Paul Lynch,
Jason Snell,
Michael Turner.
All these guys more than held their own in one on one marking contests.
Sure to be others I've forgotten.

Last edited:
As far as past players,
Ablett.
Rex Hunt for 1 season.
Peter Johnston.
Bill Ryan.
Jack Hawkins.
Paul Jeffries.
Billy was spectacular at times, but often criticised for soft hands.
Not Larry Donohue. Great on the lead though.
Polly Farmer.
John Barnes.
Tom Harley was good in that situation.
Matty Egan also

A couple of really good marks in defence, surprisingly,
Michael Mansfield,
Ken Hinkley
and up forward,
Paul Lynch,
Jason Snell,
Michael Turner.
All these guys more than held their own in one on one marking contests.
Sure to be others I've forgotten.

That's an awesome list Vdubs
Jumping Jack , Johnston ( not his kicking !!) and Ryan were my favorites at the time , whilst Senior.....well say no more , if you're GOAT you should certainly be able to mark.
I rated Wade as a mark and he could certainly bustle for position and take a contested grab - but his genius was in his leading and taking the low pass on his more than ample chest.
Bizzell was spectacular if a little inconsistent.

who were Geelong's greatest markers of all time?
Like not just contested marks but players who had the whole repertoire and were brilliant when it was one-on-one and the high ball coming in.
Hawkins is today's modern day goliath. Where would Doug Wade rank? What about Larry Donohue, Polly Farmer and Jack Hawkins?

Ablett would have to be up there as too Harry Taylor I would have thought.
Brownless another exceptionally gifted mark.

Ablett senior is the best mark of the ball I've ever seen. In any capacity - at full speed on the run, in a pack (or on top of it), or in a test of strength with an opponent. I can't recall many other players taking one-handed marks at all before he started doing it either.

Ablett senior is the best mark of the ball I've ever seen. In any capacity - at full speed on the run, in a pack (or on top of it), or in a test of strength with an opponent. I can't recall many other players taking one-handed marks at all before he started doing it either.
There were tons. Beasley, Roach etc.

yep' tons and yet, you can only think of two :p
Nah there were heaps.
Cant be bothered really.

But guys Abletts size weren't really doing it very often.
The big brutes always were.

Yepp! He had a great vertical leap, was tremendous in the pack marks and on the run. He was the complete package, and I can't think of anyone else who you could say that about.

I can't quite remember O'Reilly playing for us. All I do remember is how bloody slow he was, like Brett Spinks slow.

He wasn't the quickest player but he was the solid KPD we'd been waiting for in those glorious attacking years, which is why it was such a shame to lose him. He and Ben Graham would've made a great defensive pair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back