Past Players Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Raines- Whats his situation

absolutly useless, it astounds me that some people think he is a valuble player, can not kick, can not stop a player which is pretty bad for a defender and has no football brain at all

Re: Dean Putt

give him the off season and make him just concentrate on bulking up.
You cant just make a player massive in one pre-season. They have to develop and some people are naturally slimmer than others and therefore have a limit to the amount of bulk they can put on before they lose flexibility, speed, and endurance.

Anyway back to the thread topic, I have an eye for young talent and rarely am wrong about it. Putt looks like he has lots of ability and rare athletic attributes for his height. The problem seems to be that he goes missing in games and doesn't have the confidence to impose himself on matches that say an Ayce Cordy would have at a junior level (went to school with him last year). Once he gets real confident, believes his good, and develops we could have a really good player on our hands. But thats IF he gets the confidence required and it's a big if.

This is what sets him apart from your John Butchers and Ayce Cordy's, confidence in his ability, and maybe other mental issues we dont know about. But we will soon find out whether he wants to take that next step and get that mental edge.

Far from putting my hopes on him, I remember he played FF @ Goschs Paddock in that Cousins intra club game and he kicked 1 that was served on a platter by Cuz but the rest of his game was very ordinary.

He has a long long way to go but he will be retained unless he is truly pathetic.

Here we go again.....:rolleyes::rolleyes: . Can we just let him develop. Or are we going to right him off like most did Graham???

He hasn't had an injury free run in a long time now. Needs to go back to Coburg and play 4 quarters week in week out for a couple of months to see if he can stay injury free and if he can get some decent form going. If he fails to dominate at Coburg in that time then it's time to piss off.

I'll make it nice and simple for you. If his name wasn't Raines, he would have been delisted a long time ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Raines hasnt been much better then King would be this year, breaks lines only to turn the ball over nearly everytime with a mongrel punt.

Re: 22 - Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls

Was thinking last night, there are 10 players I'd delist at the end of the year before JON -

Raines
Simmonds
Polak
Brown
McMahon
Pettifer
Schulz
Johnson (gone now anyway)
Hughes
King

Needs to go back to his pre-draft hairstyle. If someone has a picture please post it was one of the rudest I have seen from memory.

Was thinking last night, there are 10 players I'd delist at the end of the year before JON -

Raines
Simmonds
Polak
Brown
McMahon
Pettifer
Schulz
Johnson (gone now anyway)
Hughes
King

I pretty much agree with what your saying. For the sake of it, I will expand on it with my thoughts...

JON has shown enough improvement and there is an outside chance he will get better and better each year over the next four or so. He could still turn out to be a good footballer. Some wines just take longer to mature you know....but hopefully this one will not be corked when it's ready for opening.

He reminds me a little of Tuck Senior with his body type. Wiry strong, but we all know it took Mr Tuck a long time to get a game (50 reserves games) and then went on to play 400 senior ones. He got better and better with age.

I would like to see them completley change JON's kicking style. It would take 1-2 years (it can be done). Tiger Woods, although already at the top of his game, realised their was a flaw in his stroke. He completley changed his grip and allowed himself to go backwards for a year or two before being even better than before. I don't know if JON has the luxury of time like that, but it would benefit him enourmously. In my opinion, he drops the ball to low and kicks it to flat, with his head down over the ball. This means he loses vision, it's harder to kick the right distance and is why he kicks into the man on the mark and doesn't hit the targets distance wise quite often.

Regardless of this he is improving and i see no reason if he works hard why he can not improve again next year and finally cement a spot in the 1's.

Raines - has to stay, similar to JON. Has had injuries and I hope is given another opportunity to get there as I think he works really hard at his game.

King is contracted to 2010. (Not sure if it is performance related though.) He has a serious case of the Barry Hall's out on the ground. I doubt he will settle or change his mindset. If be became much calmer, (which is the opposite of what most people like about him) he has the skills to be a top player (most will not agree I am sure). He is just to worked up out there. I will never forget seeing him from a meter away when he was warming up on the boundary line last year - veins poping up out of his head, I could tell straight away that this boy gets over hyped before the match. Unfortunatley for Kingy he gives the ball away at the wrong times...he doesn't make that many turnovers, but he is often on full out attack and the rebound footy is so costly. Sadly I would send him packing with thanks for his efforts.

Pettifer is probably being played to get him in enough form to be traded. I figured he would have been traded last year but did his knee. Hope so anyway.

Hughes is all but gone. Has to be gone. Surely?

McMahon will not and should not go before a lot of others. But he is a depth player only. Sure he wasn't really worth giving up a second round pick but he can still play...just. Maybe there is some trade value left??

Simmo - thanks big fella, you have lost your leap and can't cut it any more though. With big Gus, Browne, Vickery, Patto and Putt in the wings...thanks again.

Polak - I would think he will be evaluated again at the end of the year, but it is not looking like he will get back. They should have been able to place him on the LTI list. Shame - he was valuable, even though he wasn't a great spoiler.

Brown - seems to have lost it and questions have to be asked will his body ever be right enough to be of value. Has to be a high chance to go. If he has had some niggles that he would get over, perhaps another team would give up a pick in the 40's for him if they are looking to get themselves over the 'top'. He would probably be dangerous in a St Kilda forwardline for instance. I think there is every chance he will remain on the list.

I doubt Bowden will retire, but he could.

If Hislop wasn't contracted I would delist as well.

Schulz - hmmm....he just hasn't go 'IT'. Has been given plenty of time and has not grasped it. Has only a few weeks to go under a new coach.

If we delist or trade (for picks)
Pettifer, Johnson, Polak, Simmonds, Brown, Schulz
and Upgrade Nahas, Browne and possibly Gourdis
we will have 3-4 picks in the Nat Draft. I think we need 5, but they must all be as early as possible. E.g 30's and 40's max. So that means delisting at least one more.

He may survive, but only because there are others in line for the chop ahead of him.

Johnson, Bowden, Simmonds and Brown will all probably be gone. Polak too, if he doesn't show signifcant signs of progress.
Pettifer, King and Hughes are fairly certain to be delisted. May add Raines and Schulz to that list.
McMahon is lucky he has a year left on his contract.

If there is truly a sweep out at Tigerland, up to 11 players could go before JON, if we decided to chop mcmahon and pay out his contract. With Nahas and Browne likely to be upgraded from the rookie list, that leaves a whopping 9 senior spots to fill.

Hopefully he shows something in the second half of the year that makes us want to keep him, rather than being forced to keep him just so that we make up the numbers!

Cleve Hughes#34:The Cleaver

Ok now Im gonna get right into this and ask where the heck is Cleve Hughes?
A good player last year with 6 goals against Port and 4? I Think against Sydney.
So why is he missing hes a good strong forward which we are lacking.
Post is young and inexperienced and Richo is Injured.
So Where is He??

Re: Cleve Hughes#34:The Cleaver

Apparently played Coburg reserves today, for a one goal return. Wasn't in the bests. Get over him, the chances of him making it are so slim it's hardly worth thinking about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back