Past players

Remove this Banner Ad

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was having a few beer with a couple Freo mates - talking about how many past Freo player would have made the 2013 team. So I pick a team of past players.
I only used two rules, 40 games for Freo and no one on the 2013 list.

A few things stand out.
We have had a lot bad footballer ( I love this club but some of our off field dealing has been bad really bad).
So many of our players played their best footy at other clubs.
We picked up a lot of crap from other teams. ( keep all our draft picks unless it's a A grade player. No more paying overs for average spuds. ).

Hayden. Grover. Parker.
McPhee. Tarrant. Kickett
Fletcher. Allen. Cook
McManus Longmuir. Hasleby
Farmer. Modra. Waterhouse

Burton. J.Carr. Bell

Bench in order from: medhurst, Michael, headland, black, norrish, clement, l.brown, Solomon, Callaghan, jones, Sinclair and O'Reilly.

The best I could do. I know is unfair because much of the 2013 list have payed for over half the life of the club but it was fun.

The backline and forward arent bad at all. Midfields a bit terrible. Id put headland at half back for kickett with a bench of medhurst,clement,brown with black as substitute.

Ki
The backline and forward arent bad at all. Midfields a bit terrible. Id put headland at half back for kickett with a bench of medhurst,clement,brown with black as substitute.
kickett was personal favourite, he played some great footy for us. Beating the crap out the egirls in an Derby gets him in my team.

Modra and Hayden would be the only two that could have made our best 22 in 2013. Flip a coin on Farmer.
They would be the only past players that would have improved us last year.

late edit: Longmuir would have kept Zac Clarke out of the GF.

Longmuir was untapped potential through no fault of his own, really. Hayden went out in the wrong way; through no fault of his own.

Peter Bell was a premiership winning rover too, in a very good Kangaroos side, so he'd certainly be getting a run around.

People show such a small slither of respect to the past of this footy club. The only thing that should be detested and shamed are the pricks at the top. Even Neesham had some revolutionary ideas. Connolly, Harvey, well...

Modra and Hayden would be the only two that could have made our best 22 in 2013. Flip a coin on Farmer.

Those 3 inclusions fit and firing would have seen us win the 2013 flag!

I think Bell, Farmer, Hayden, Modra, Longmuir, Haselby would get a game in our current team. Bell for Neale, Farmer for Ballas, Modra for Mayne, Longmuir for Clarke, Crozier for Hase, Hayden for Suttie.

Our forward line would be one of the best in recent times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longmuir would have kept Zac out very easily and what a better forward option he would have been! Thought he was a very smart footballer until his WC appointment haha

Kickett and Hayden would easily get picked ahead of any of our smaller defenders like Duffield, Spurr, Sutcliffe. I'd take "good" McPhee over Ibbo as well for that mid range type.

Tarrant turned into a gun and would walk into our side now ... surprised nobody has mentioned him, would be a huge upgrade on Dawson.

To be honest, you could argue McPharlin (who is almost done) and MJ are our only defenders who would displace someone (Grover/Parker) from that team in the OP.

Longmuir, Farmer, Headland and Hayden are all players that I would have loved to have seen in a Ross Lyon coached team.

Well, depends a bit. Longmuir and Modra kind of played the roles we really missed.

Bell, Allan, Hasleby could have made the midfield in career best form.

McPhee somehow played in his last year pretty much the Lee Spurr role. Not sure who is/was better...

Really Dawson over Tarrant? Could have gone with him as key forward as well...

Somehow impossible to say.

Modra for Mayne
Like that. He was about Mayne size I think. Imagine Modra arial skills and goalkicking drilled to the top of this millenium's workrate and defensive pressure...

Given you have McPhee in the backline who was fairly tall and capable of playing third tall defender I would have to take Parker out and replace him with with Heath Black. Fes was honest as the day was long but would much rather that laser left foot of Heath coming out of defence.

Cooky is also probably borderline. Jason Norrish or Des would get a starting position over Cook although Troy might still have a spot on the bench.

Given you have McPhee in the backline who was fairly tall and capable of playing third tall defender I would have to take Parker out and replace him with with Heath Black. Fes was honest as the day was long but would much rather that laser left foot of Heath coming out of defence.

Cooky is also probably borderline. Jason Norrish or Des would get a starting position over Cook although Troy might still have a spot on the bench.
It's impossible to pick this type of team without picking some player you loved to watch, Cook was one of my favourites. You maybe right. However Parker was almost always made play against bigger body players. In a top team he would have be a star.

Parker was a brilliant one on one defender with great concentration. His attacking limitations were exposed at times. Within a more organised defensive unit where he could play the same role as Dawson i.e stop someone and hand off the ball to running players he would have been superb. I suspect he was the kind of guy that would have thrived in a strong system with well defined roles like we have now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back