Patersons Stadium (Subiaco Oval) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently, yes, all a big tie in.
Ah, just seeing North v Hawthorn...the 5 is faded, like it's being wiped off. Without knowing what it's about it still wouldn't make sense but makes more than just writing the 0 with nothing else! :p

Food2Go is the provider. Let's see, Chips would be ... I think it was $5.30, the Pie was something like $4.50 for a brand name pie, a beer will be $6.80, up to $9 for pre-mix, a soft drink or water will be $4 or more. Hot dogs, hamburgers, schnitzel burgers were on the upside of $6, if I recall. You'll rack up in excess of $17 for chips, main and beer.

Ain't cheap.

You understand companies bid for this contract with the stadium management taking a big bite of the price charged.
The prices can be lower IF the stadium manager doesn't take so much.

Probably Melbourne Demon members. Nothing to do with facilities.

Probably aren't members of Subiaco so cannot get a seat at Subiaco with any certainty.

Fair enough. A lot of grounds are modelled on the MCG now.

IMO Docklands is a very comparable venue.
A Docklands wrapped around a Subiaco dimension field w/o a roof sounds pretty good.

As an events stadium the new stadium will be very comaparable.
It will have probably 24 rounds of AFL plus any finals.
It will have the WAFL GF and any IR matches.
The RU, rl and soccer lobby say it will have plenty of those games as well.
So comparatively speaking the MCG and Docklands would be ahead, then Subiaco and AAMI, then SCG and Gabba then ANZ then all the CMW games white elephants.

You are totally wrong. the approach by this government is not just to build a football stadium but to build an events stadium with all the football codes, available to cricket and baseball and other promotions at the gateway to Perth. The government is obviously intending to generate some event tourism by it's approach so in that regard bigger is a bigger attraction.

As for the costings the leaked cabinit revenue for the upcoming period shows an increase in the $billions.
We can afford it and this is the best time to build it and build it properly.

Any chance you understand my point given you take the time to reply e.g
some fans want to use the MCG as the measure & any WA facility will never attract the number of events each year
and your comment is

Any chance you understand my point given you take the time to reply e.g
some fans want to use the MCG as the measure & any WA facility will never attract the number of events each year
and your comment is

In fact, a lot of groundsa are modelled on the MCG now.
What's your problem?
You keep repeating the same old drivel.
The new Perth Stadium will host regular events at high attendance levels.
It will be hosting an AFL every week.
It will be hosting AFL finals possibly.
It will be hosting the WAFL GF.
It will be hosting IR matches.
It will be hosting RU, rl and soccer matches.
It will be hosting big events.
And lots lots more.

I would suggest that it would be prudent to address the physical structure of the MCG
and that of Docklands amongst others.

In fact, a lot of groundsa are modelled on the MCG now.
What's your problem?
You keep repeating the same old drivel.
The new Perth Stadium will host regular events at high attendance levels.
It will be hosting an AFL every week.
It will be hosting AFL finals possibly.
It will be hosting the WAFL GF.
It will be hosting IR matches.
It will be hosting RU, rl and soccer matches.
It will be hosting big events.
And lots lots more.

I would suggest that it would be prudent to address the physical structure of the MCG
and that of Docklands amongst others.

What pearls of wisdom can cosworld offer us:
it would be prudent to address the physical structure of the MCG
and that of Docklands

What pearls of wisdom can cosworld offer us:
it would be prudent to address the physical structure of the MCG
and that of Docklands

Are you really serious?
Where in the stadiums section discussing stadium design.
What better way than to look at some existing designs.
And FFS I've already explained, but you don't seem to absorb anything.
Docklands is hailed as a greatb design by most people.
I agree. Docklands has great viewing and facilities.
And repeating, just for you again.If they built a Docklands style stadium wrapped around the dimensions of Subiaco Oval that would be pretty good IMO.
Comprendez maintenant? Verstehen Sie heute?

Are you really serious?
Where in the stadiums section discussing stadium design.
What better way than to look at some existing designs.
And FFS I've already explained, but you don't seem to absorb anything.
Docklands is hailed as a greatb design by most people.
I agree. Docklands has great viewing and facilities.
And repeating, just for you again.If they built a Docklands style stadium wrapped around the dimensions of Subiaco Oval that would be pretty good IMO.
Comprendez maintenant? Verstehen Sie heute?

That's the best you can offer ?

The problem comparing the G or Docklands with the WA facility is the number of events, but you know that, & it has to be reflected in seat costs &/or taxpayer subsidy.

The problem comparing the G or Docklands with the WA facility is the number of events, but you know that, & it has to be reflected in seat costs &/or taxpayer subsidy.

Absolut BS.
We're talking about design, construction, costs and their relative nature.
The size of Docklands is smaller than the size of the new stadium.
The facilities seem to similar too.
Any fool can see that there is some advantage if the builders of a stadium can say,
"we've got this design, it should cost this amount and take this long to build based on the previous build".

But we know there is no problem with the cost of this stadium because it will be so well used compared to most stadia.
It will be used for 24 games of fabulous AFL at a fabulously high attendance.
It will be used for AFL finals games and probably be a sellout.
It will be used for AFL derbies for probably sellouts.
It will be used for the WAFL grand final.
It will probably be used for the AWFL when it is established.
The specs insist that the new stadium must cater for the biggest games of RU, rl and soccer.
It will be available for other high profile events.
This is very high usage for a sport stadium. Any more use and you run into grassing problems.
Just in AFL attendance terms alone, the stadium will used for more than the equivalent 72 nrl games.
You could ask why the NSW government is upgrading the SCG for 11 games of AFL.
You could ask why the NSW government upgraded SKODA for 8 games of AFL.
You could ask why the NSW government uses ANZ when the SFS is the optimum size.
You could ask why the NSW government is looking to upgrade stadia in the WS when it cannot fill existing stadia..
You could ask why the Fed opposition wants to invest in Brookvale for 12 games of nrl.

All that the people of WA are asking for is one decent stadium - not a big ask.

Absolut BS.
We're talking about design, construction, costs and their relative nature.
The size of Docklands is smaller than the size of the new stadium.
The facilities seem to similar too.
Any fool can see that there is some advantage if the builders of a stadium can say,
"we've got this design, it should cost this amount and take this long to build based on the previous build".

But we know there is no problem with the cost of this stadium because it will be so well used compared to most stadia.
It will be used for 24 games of fabulous AFL at a fabulously high attendance.
It will be used for AFL finals games and probably be a sellout.
It will be used for AFL derbies for probably sellouts.
It will be used for the WAFL grand final.
It will probably be used for the AWFL when it is established.
The specs insist that the new stadium must cater for the biggest games of RU, rl and soccer.
It will be available for other high profile events.
This is very high usage for a sport stadium. Any more use and you run into grassing problems.
Just in AFL attendance terms alone, the stadium will used for more than the equivalent 72 nrl games.
You could ask why the NSW government is upgrading the SCG for 11 games of AFL.
You could ask why the NSW government upgraded SKODA for 8 games of AFL.
You could ask why the NSW government uses ANZ when the SFS is the optimum size.
You could ask why the NSW government is looking to upgrade stadia in the WS when it cannot fill existing stadia..
You could ask why the Fed opposition wants to invest in Brookvale for 12 games of nrl.

All that the people of WA are asking for is one decent stadium - not a big ask.

because its NSW, them first, vic second then every one a free for all!
the MCG is only is what it is today is because of the number of AFL games played there & the volume of people it draws through the gate. but the AFL has contrats in place that they have to play a number of games there per week & GF untill 2035 if memory serves me correct
etihad was built with superanuation bonds, with the AFl paying it off & owning it in 2025.

now the NRL with 15k crowd average gets what ever they want spent on them, the s**t hole known as ANZ is about to get another 250 million spent on it.

WA will get their decent stadium eventuraly, Brisbane has there's, Adelaide is upgrading the Adelaide oval.
WA will be last as usual, after all its nickname is Wait a while

(Log in to remove this ad.)

because its NSW, them first, vic second then every one a free for all!
the MCG is only is what it is today is because of the number of AFL games played there & the volume of people it draws through the gate. but the AFL has contrats in place that they have to play a number of games there per week & GF untill 2035 if memory serves me correct

2037 now

etihad was built with superanuation bonds, with the AFl paying it off & owning it in 2025.

Was built by channel 7 who sold it to a consortium.

now the NRL with 15k crowd average gets what ever they want spent on them, the s**t hole known as ANZ is about to get another 250 million spent on it.

The teams also get paid to play at ANZ Stadium.

WA will get their decent stadium eventuraly, Brisbane has there's, Adelaide is upgrading the Adelaide oval.
WA will be last as usual, after all its nickname is Wait a while

South Australia is paying for almost the entire build with little Federal or AFL funding.

Was built by channel 7 who sold it to a consortium.

the consortium consisted was James Fielding Funds Management, it used a number of suneranuation bonds, but no tax payer money went in to the stadium

The teams also get paid to play at ANZ Stadium.
so the teams do not get any of the revenue raised from the crowd & merchandise, food or drinks sold?
playing in front of 15k sized crowds, isn't going to raise much money, for either stadium management or the teams

South Australia is paying for almost the entire build with little Federal or AFL funding.
yes but it wouldnt have gone ahead if the AFL hadnt stayed at AAMI

my main point is that the Federal & NSW government have no problems pumping money in to the grounds in NSW but short change everything else

Last edited by a moderator:
the consortium consisted was James Fielding Funds Management, it used a number of suneranuation bonds, but no tax payer money went in to the stadium

yes but thats not "built with superanuation bonds".

so the teams do not get any of the revenue raised from the crowd & merchandise, food or drinks sold?
playing in front of 15k sized crowds, isn't going to raise much money, for either stadium management or the teams

I dont know the terms of the deals at ANZ, only that teams receive a fee for playing there.

yes but it wouldnt have gone ahead if the AFL hadnt stayed at AAMI

Might not have gone ahead at all if not for three things. 1) the world cup bid and 2) the sanfl saying they needed millions for an upgrade of Football Park and 3) the SACA not being able to pay its debts. BAM. Perfect storm.

my main point is that the Federal & NSW government have no problems pumping money in to the grounds in NSW but short change everything else

You want NSW to fund stuff outside its region?

This website is a nice trove for East Perth information (and includes probably the best archive of materials relating to their national league push in the 80s) talks about the Royals changing grounds.

http://www.amnet.net.au/~daveiza/royals/poend.html

Additionally, can anyone find anything about the Glory's attempt to takeover Leederville Oval? I remember reading up on it a while ago and found a real trove of articles. Essentially the council and locals petitioned against it and got it overturned right when it was about to go ahead. It would've been an interesting landscape – we'd probably have Subi and Royals playing at Perth Oval and then NIB Stadium being at Leedy.

Has anyone ever used an AFL Membership for their team's home ground outside of Melbourne? As in, I'm curious as to how you use your barcode when there's no field to enter it in... This is in regard to the Freo - Lions game this Saturday night. Help?

Additionally, it is simply appalling that a game five days away against the equal worst team in the competition, doesn't have a single pair of seats next to one another. And the cost of sitting by yourself in some tiny, rickety seat is... $43 for a concession and $55 for everyone else. Absolutely insane for a game of football, let alone a s**t one.

Last edited:
Muhahahah.... That's why I left that s**t hole of a state and stadium. I laugh when I read stories of ticketed games and whatnot from (melb based mostly) supporters, when the cost of footy, and general availability of one or ideally two tickets, is ridiculous..... And has been for ages.... AND in a third world stadium......
Part of me feels for you bud, but another part of me says welcome to wa...... Rip off capital of australia, which itself is the rip of country of the world... My tip, ring 6pr radio station and see if they are having any competitions to win a double pass....

Muhahahah.... That's why I left that s**t hole of a state and stadium. I laugh when I read stories of ticketed games and whatnot from (melb based mostly) supporters, when the cost of footy, and general availability of one or ideally two tickets, is ridiculous..... And has been for ages.... AND in a third world stadium......
Part of me feels for you bud, but another part of me says welcome to wa...... Rip off capital of australia, which itself is the rip of country of the world... My tip, ring 6pr radio station and see if they are having any competitions to win a double pass....
I don't really care that much, even if it was $17 a ticket as it is in Melbs you still have the Saturday night train back to Freo and the two packed and two out of service ones that come before yours. I'd rather park down in a pub along South Terrace somewhere. I just forgot how seriously hard and expensive something so normal is.

Yeh that's exactly right, nailed it.its just not normal in Perth... Having moved up here to the coast, it's fantastic, general admission, can take friends and sit together, and decide on day. And not cost an arm and leg. Can get a ticket and over priced food and drink and transport and still costs less than Perth...

Maybe one day with new stadium things will change, plus when the grey army members die off freeing up some serious quantity of seats for new supporters and members. But I'll believe it when I see it.
Good luck, hope you beat the bejesus out of the lions.....and put them back in their place as the weaker team from qld :p

This is what greeted someone at Subiaco the other day. From a facebook page, not sure if the admin took the photo or if it was reposted from somewhere else on the net. https://www.facebook.com/3874331113...7433111325413/646911778710877/?type=1&theater

10259866_646911778710877_9121970144224052778_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back