Patrick Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that he would be a revelation playing off a HBF.
I would even be willing to bet that he will kick more goals running/crossing the lines from hbf.
The opposition would have a big problem in trying to tag him in that position where he is capable of using his strength and explosive speed in more space than he gets in the midfield.
For those who think that hbf does not suit him - i would suggest that they go view his under 18 tapes.
In any case, given our position, and given his lack of rapid progression to elite status, what is the harm in trying him there.

He doesn't get enough of the ball yet but he is hard at it, wins his own footy and has the ability to use his pace and break lines. He has shown glimpses but hasn't put it together over 4 quarters yet but he has all the tools to be an elite player.

I think he's been wasted up forward over the last few years - he has amazing talent up there and can create goals just out of his sheer will to keep the ball alive, win possession and move the ball forward. But it has been a waste in terms of his long term development into a permanent (hopefuly elite) midfielder, which is what we need him to be. While other young mids have been learning their craft on the ball, Danger has been playing at full forward.

People have been bagging his recent efforts in the midfield in the last 4 weeks and while we would clearly expect him to get more of the ball (he's only having 13-14 touches a game) he has been more than holding his own in terms of centre clearances.

Danger has has 14 centre clearances in the last 4 weeks (10.2% of all AFC centre clearances in that time) Only 2 players have had more centre clearances than him - Thommo with 20 (14.5%) and Vince with 17 (12.4%). Douglas has also had 14.

In that time Danger has had a total of 53 possessions (not enough) but over 20% of them have been centre clearances.

His big problem has been getting free ball /uncontested possession.

If you look at the last 4 weeks he has had

Round 11 - 14 touches - 10 contested possessins
Round 12 - 13 touches - 10 contested possessions
Round 13 - 13 touches - 13 contested possessions!!!
Round 14 - 13 touches - 11 contested possessions

He needs to spend some time out of the stoppage and learn how to get uncontested possession which will enable him to utilise his blistering pace and break lines. When he can learn to get 10-15+ uncontested touches along with his usual 10+ contested pssessions, he will finally become that player he has the ability to become.

The question is what is the best way for him to learn this. I don't mind the idea of him having some time on the HBF just to be able to run at the ball and get some touches without having his head ripped off the second he takes possession.

He's been playing through the midfield a lot more than this board seems to think. He goes missing after the centre clearance and can't find the easy ball. Needs to pinch hit at HBF/wing so he can learn to read the play. Has ****-all football brain or ability to read the play. Dangerfield is just another footballer going backwards under this coaching panel.

He doesn't get enough of the ball yet but he is hard at it, wins his own footy and has the ability to use his pace and break lines. He has shown glimpses but hasn't put it together over 4 quarters yet but he has all the tools to be an elite player.

I think he's been wasted up forward over the last few years - he has amazing talent up there and can create goals just out of his sheer will to keep the ball alive, win possession and move the ball forward. But it has been a waste in terms of his long term development into a permanent (hopefuly elite) midfielder, which is what we need him to be. While other young mids have been learning their craft on the ball, Danger has been playing at full forward.

People have been bagging his recent efforts in the midfield in the last 4 weeks and while we would clearly expect him to get more of the ball (he's only having 13-14 touches a game) he has been more than holding his own in terms of centre clearances.

Danger has has 14 centre clearances in the last 4 weeks (10.2% of all AFC centre clearances in that time) Only 2 players have had more centre clearances than him - Thommo with 20 (14.5%) and Vince with 17 (12.4%). Douglas has also had 14.

In that time Danger has had a total of 53 possessions (not enough) but over 20% of them have been centre clearances.

His big problem has been getting free ball /uncontested possession.

If you look at the last 4 weeks he has had

He needs to spend some time out of the stoppage and learn how to get uncontested possession which will enable him to utilise his blistering pace and break lines. When he can learn to get 10-15+ uncontested touches along with his usual 10+ contested pssessions, he will finally become that player he has the ability to become.

The question is what is the best way for him to learn this. I don't mind the idea of him having some time on the HBF just to be able to run at the ball and get some touches without having his head ripped off the second he takes possession.

That's a very insteresting analysis there. :thumbsu:

At first I thought the idea of playing him off the HBF would be time on the field wasted. But from those stats/analysis I am warming to the idea of seeing him come off the HBF (or even the Wing) for short spurts to get some free ball to penetrate into the 50. Would be interesting to see him gain possession while already at full pace.

Dangerfield may or may not ever learn the skill of anticipation.

However, being at the immediate contest and then simply running to space and being available for the rebound kick is not necessarily instinctive but can be coached as part of set up.

His ratio of contested to total possessions is insane. He obviously spends a lot of petrol tickets in those contests (you can probably at least triple that number of contests if you factor in stale mates, opposition and the odd other Crow winning the contested ball). That's in excess of 35 hard ball contests per game.

Playing as a HB he has the ability to beat his man in the air and on the ground, provide dash off the line and not worry about anticipation as his opponent will take him to the ball.

Given the forward press structure employed he won't be playing that far from goal either being able to preserve his tank by operating between the two 50 metre arcs.

I think that he would be a revelation playing off a HBF.
I would even be willing to bet that he will kick more goals running/crossing the lines from hbf.
The opposition would have a big problem in trying to tag him in that position where he is capable of using his strength and explosive speed in more space than he gets in the midfield.
For those who think that hbf does not suit him - i would suggest that they go view his under 18 tapes.
In any case, given our position, and given his lack of rapid progression to elite status, what is the harm in trying him there.

Good post JP

Unbelievable isn't it?

We're abusing his strengths and using him to compensate for our other players contested ball ineptitude.

He hasn't spent any time in the midfield lately. Not as a genuine midfielder. He contests the centre bounce only as a crash n bash option then goes straight back to the goal square. This isn't playing midfield. It is the pathetic Dumb n Dumber midfield coaches desperately trying to even up the pathetic centre clearance numbers plus our "Career Goals: 11" forward line coach wanting a contested ball winner to turn our pathetic F50 entries into gold.

All overseen by Captain Clueless in the director's chair.

Before the season Dangerfield was interviewed and he talked about needing to round off his game, win more uncontested footy and run to space rather than just being a battering ram. Have we seen any progress with this? Not one iota. Nor one opportunity.

This all sounded great in the preseason. All it took was for us to lose a game or two though and it was out the window.

How often has he played up the ground and started outside the centre square? Not once. It's pathetic.

Craig Must Go.

He's making our talented players worse, and we don't have that many to start with.

Unbelievable isn't it?

We're abusing his strengths and using him to compensate for our other players contested ball ineptitude.

He hasn't spent any time in the midfield lately. Not as a genuine midfielder. He contests the centre bounce only as a crash n bash option then goes straight back to the goal square. This isn't playing midfield. It is the pathetic Dumb n Dumber midfield coaches desperately trying to even up the pathetic centre clearance numbers plus our "Career Goals: 11" forward line coach wanting a contested ball winner to turn our pathetic F50 entries into gold.

All overseen by Captain Clueless in the director's chair.

Before the season Dangerfield was interviewed and he talked about needing to round off his game, win more uncontested footy and run to space rather than just being a battering ram. Have we seen any progress with this? Not one iota. Nor one opportunity.

This all sounded great in the preseason. All it took was for us to lose a game or two though and it was out the window.

How often has he played up the ground and started outside the centre square? Not once. It's pathetic.

Craig Must Go.

He's making our talented players worse, and we don't have that many to start with.

Patrick Dangerfield: Neil Craig's answer to Robert Shaw's Mark Riccutio!

I've given up judging any of our squad until there is a pressure relief of some sort.

All those defending the coach and bagging the players but insisting the results are as expected for our level of experience..... need to really consider what the level of demanding more and more of the playing group and pushing harder and harder does for them when they aren't experienced enough to deal with it.

Patty has some amazing tools to work with. His ability to create clearances from nothing is truly elite.

I'll be concerned about his lack of impact on games after some significant changes have been made at the club and he still isn't performing.

If the team's form continues next year, Danger is as good as gone. His girlfriend is looking to move back to Victoria next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've given up judging any of our squad until there is a pressure relief of some sort.

All those defending the coach and bagging the players but insisting the results are as expected for our level of experience..... need to really consider what the level of demanding more and more of the playing group and pushing harder and harder does for them when they aren't experienced enough to deal with it.

Patty has some amazing tools to work with. His ability to create clearances from nothing is truly elite.

I'll be concerned about his lack of impact on games after some significant changes have been made at the club and he still isn't performing.

Ding ding ding ding ding :thumbsu:

You wouldn't play Paddles McExplosion off half back if we were a contender...we aren't. We need to do what's best for his long term development, which is something like HBF for a fair bit of the game.

Smack doesn't have many fans at the moment, but he'd gain a lot more from playing CHB than a) playing 25% ruck and 75% doing god knows what; or b) monstering fools in the SANFL.

And Walker...just have to play him at full forward when he's right.

You wouldn't play Paddles McExplosion off half back if we were a contender...we aren't. We need to do what's best for his long term development, which is something like HBF for a fair bit of the game.

Smack doesn't have many fans at the moment, but he'd gain a lot more from playing CHB than a) playing 25% ruck and 75% doing god knows what; or b) monstering fools in the SANFL.

And Walker...just have to play him at full forward when he's right.

Damn right.

Tried to find the "Patrick Dangerfield: thread - where we talk about his footy not his contract status ! (please move it if I missed the one we should be using)

I just reckon he is in for his best season yet. What I saw in the pre-season was someone without niggles - playing in a sturcture that suits his explosive style. The couple of times he chose team over individual bodes well too (eg the centre of the ball to Sauce after he fought for it a couple of times rather than having the glory shot)

I had a quick look back over some quarters last year and one thing I did notice was how Danger doesn't get emotionally into the game much - very rarely do you see him explode into screams and man-hugs on the pitch. He seems so focussed on the process, I hope that changes a bit this year and he gets some real enjoyment out of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back