News Patrick McGinnity sanctioned over vilification of Demon player's (Petterd) mum - *Trolls get a week*

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC for PM

Club Legend
Apr 21, 2005
Ricoh Centre
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Re: Patrick McGinnity sanctioned over vilification of Demon player's (Petterd) mum

If she is in fact ill, i wonder how would Patrick McGinnity know this fact?

Or if he said it anyway and because of the situation RP took it to heart. Interesting scenario.

Timmy Houlihan

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Re: Patrick McGinnity sanctioned over vilification of Demon player's (Petterd) mum

Are we agreeing or arguing lol

Is that quoted for truth?

yes that means Quoted for Truth you noob:cool:

EDIT: was unaware of The supposed health issues of Petterd's mum, I can understand him taking it to heart but surely McGinnity didn't know this. If he did and deliberately said it he deserves everything he gets.

May 8, 2011
loɔɐʇıou:
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

If she is in fact ill, i wonder how would Patrick McGinnity know this fact?

Or if he said it anyway and because of the situation RP took it to heart. Interesting scenario.
I think possibly option 2. Sledges might seem harmless enough until you find out a bit of background. Saw a younger kid go absolutely mental, Barry Hall-style red mist, when a casual "yo mumma" sledge was dropped by a teammate at an under 16 cricket game. Turns out his dad killed him mum and is serving life. No one knew at the time, and it was a fairly innocuous gag but it affects different people different ways.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

yes that means Quoted for Truth you noob:cool:

EDIT: was unaware of The supposed health issues of Petterd's mum, I can understand him taking it to heart but surely McGinnity didn't know this. If he did and deliberately said it he deserves everything he gets.
Noob.. man i hate internet talk, what happened to good old fashioned words like ****wit and dumbshit

In regards to petterd, if it was accidental, still think the eagles bloke is stiff to get a week, surely a phone call apology or a casual beer an shake of the hands would be suffice

Timmy Houlihan

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond

Noob.. man i hate internet talk, what happened to good old fashioned words like ****wit and dumbshit

In regards to petterd, if it was accidental, still think the eagles bloke is stiff to get a week, surely a phone call apology or a casual beer an shake of the hands would be suffice

agree with this, and in regards to Internet talk it grows on you, that being said I reckon ****wit is the best swear in the English language!

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

agree with this, and in regards to Internet talk it grows on you, that being said I reckon ****wit is the best swear in the English language!

So do herpes (see bigsexc for details)

The afls clearly decided they had to make a big deal out of this because the media has gotten wind of it, an they are all about there 'image' ****wits:thumbsu:

Timmy Houlihan

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond

So do herpes (see bigsexc for details)

The afls clearly decided they had to make a big deal out of this because the media has gotten wind of it, an they are all about there 'image' ****wits
:thumbsu:

I just posted on another footy forum basically this! Image, making the game more marketable as it moves into GWS and Gold Coast, is without a doubt the AFL's number 1 priority.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

I just posted on another footy forum basically this! Image, making the game more marketable as it moves into GWS and Gold Coast, is without a doubt the AFL's number 1 priority.
Its not so much about the movement into the other states, its for the 'parents'

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

It's a tough one, ideally you don't like to see a player get suspended for some sledging.

BUT

They all know what the AFL is trying to achieve, they are better off not sledging anymore and focusing on the game, maybe a you're s**t, like Davey gave Easton Wood on the weekend to get another shot at goal, but anymore than that and you open yourself up to risk.

KoutoufidesGhost

Club Legend
May 26, 2010
Visy Park
AFL Club
Carlton

I guessed from the reaction today that his Mum is likely to be ill, but I'm not sure how Pat McGinnity could've have known? However, if he did know, it is a very low act.

I found this quote from Wayne Petterd interesting:
"Ricky just said he was an idiot and that he didn't think about what he was saying. But he was upset by it sure, this guy actually said it twice it wasn't just in the heat of the moment."

I guessed from the reaction today that his Mum is likely to be ill, but I'm not sure how Pat McGinnity could've have known? However, if he did know, it is a very low act.

I found this quote from Wayne Petterd interesting:

Why do you find that interesting?

Because saying the same thing twice could mean that there was some context behind the comment?

Or it could be just because it got a reaction...

Because saying the same thing twice could mean that there was some context behind the comment?

Both points you make are reasonable.

Has anyone ascertained whether his Mother is actually ill or not yet? I ask as I agree that it would be highly inappropriate of McGinnity if he did have such knowledge and made comments.

KoutoufidesGhost

Club Legend
May 26, 2010
Visy Park
AFL Club
Carlton

Why do you find that interesting?

Did he crack a "Yo' Momma" joke so good that he had to repeat it, or did he maybe have partial knowledge of the situation?

Brent Montgomery almost got a suspension a few years ago for claiming that the chemotherapy had gone to Adam Ramaunaskus' head (he would get suspended today). Nick Riewoldt avoided suspension for sledging Andrew Lovett as clears as day on an umpire mic ("Is that how you hit your girlfriend?"). I just find it hard to believe that Pat McGinnity could be suspended for a simple, generic sledge about Ricky Petterd's mother.

Did he crack a "Yo' Momma" joke so good that he had to repeat it, or did he maybe have partial knowledge of the situation?

Brent Montgomery almost got a suspension a few years ago for claiming that the chemotherapy had gone to Adam Ramaunaskus' head (he would get suspended today). Nick Riewoldt avoided suspension for sledging Andrew Lovett as clears as day on an umpire mic ("Is that how you hit your girlfriend?"). I just find it hard to believe that Pat McGinnity could be suspended for a simple, generic sledge about Ricky Petterd's mother.

Or perhaps this:

It would appear from Andrew Demetriou's comments today whilst in WA, that Petterd persued somekind of action, and perhaps with the ridiculous PC direction that the AFL has headed in it was looked at.

Aswell as WCE paranoia over any sort of "scandal" forcing club officials to act.

As the week wears on we will surely find out more. I think playing the "his mum is ill" card before having all the facts is pretty poor.

KoutoufidesGhost

Club Legend
May 26, 2010
Visy Park
AFL Club
Carlton

Or perhaps this:

I was implying that with the "partial knowledge" bit.

It's just as possible that Petterd's Mum is perfectly healthy. Nobody knows and I would think it's likely to be mentioned in the newspaper articles if she was sick. But it still gets me back to the topic of what the hell did he say if Nick Riewoldt and Adam Selwood didn't get suspended for sledging female members of their opponent's family? It's not like the Respect and Responsibility program was implemented last year.

I was implying that with the "partial knowledge" bit.

I was stating that perhaps there was no knowledge at all, perhaps merely the reaction to a generic sledge caused McGinnity to go back for more?

It's just as possible that Petterd's Mum is perfectly healthy. Nobody knows and I would think it's likely to be mentioned in the newspaper articles if she was sick. But it still gets me back to the topic of what the hell did he say if Nick Riewoldt and Adam Selwood didn't get suspended for sledging female members of their opponent's family? It's not like the Respect and Responsibility program was implemented last year.

It's a fair point you make. Give it time, I'm sure we'll find out sometime soon.

Just one note, why would they mention Petterd's mum being ill if she was?

That's private information.

More likely Petterd was pissed off during the brawl, McGinnity made a comment and Petterd got more even more pissed off.

The umpire heard the comment when McGinnity repeated it and then decided to take action.

AFL tell WCE to suspend the player or else they will intervene with a harsher punishment, all in the name of the AFL's 'integrity'

That's my hypothesis.

The heinous crime is McGinnity said he was going to 'sleep with his mother'. We can all assume the word sleep was an abbreviation of firetruck.

Nothing to do with illness.

AA confirmed a complaint was made by Petterd

Can someone please translate this for me? :confused:

I can mate. It means "I would like some time off to contemplate my inadequacies."

And so it has come to pass . . . . . .

Jon Koncak

Baseline leaner
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GS Warriors, NY Giants, ORE Ducks

Four pages on Patrick McGinnity is four pages too many. ; )

slowedawg

Premium Gold
Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne

The issue here isn't the fact that Petterd is weak or not for reporting him - it's that the AFL wants to send a strong message to the players and those interested in AFL that women shouldn't be treated as simple sex objects who can be used as the butt of a joke - women should be respected.

While the one week ban shocked me, I can see where they're coming from. Making fun of someone's mum is a clear sign of a lack of class/intelligence, and it craps all over the hard work they've been doing to include women as an important part of the AFL and getting girls interested in the game.

I know this sort of sounds a bit new-agey and wanky, but I think that if we want to have a positive culture change in the new breed of AFL players and avoid the sex scandals of the NRL, they should come down hard on things like this.

Re: Patrick McGinnity sanctioned over vilification of Demon player's (Petterd) mum - *Troll get a we

Here's where its at, we have given out 10 cards in this thread & we are sick of it, you have been warned & you will get a week for any other trolling in this thread.

Even a whiff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back