News Patrick McGinnity sanctioned over vilification of Demon player's (Petterd) mum - *Trolls get a week*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patrick McGinnity sanctioned over vilification of Demon player's (Petterd) mum - *Troll get a we

Here's where its at, we have given out 10 cards in this thread & we are sick of it, you have been warned & you will get a week for any other trolling in this thread.

Even a whiff.

Agreed - this is becoming a run-through for the Darwin Awards.

Non-MFC - you are always free to post constructively in these threads. That may mean a reasoned critique of our club. We can handle this.

Crimson's thread is at hand if you need relief, troll-wise.

Our Board will also be glad to know that those who are going on a compulsory holiday are receiving a highly personalised email as they shuffle towards the exit-lounge . . . . .

Re: Patrick McGinnity sanctioned over vilification of Demon player's (Petterd) mum

Four pages on Patrick McGinnity is four pages too many. ; )

He's actually been a pretty decent player this season and has had articles written about him over here :p

It will be quite obvious what I think of this, of course, but I just think that the AFL is heading in the wrong direction at the moment - maybe sledging in itself will be banned outright within a few seasons.

Re: Patrick McGinnity sanctioned over vilification of Demon player's (Petterd) mum - *Trolls get a w

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/121167/default.aspx
“There were two umpires standing there at the time and he said it at the wrong time - and there is isn’t a right time to say it - but I’ve just followed with the investigation the AFL has gone through.”

Petterd said it was “not his place” to say what was said, but he conceded he was “shocked” with McGinnity’s words about his mother.

“You don’t expect to hear stuff like that. Although you can give as much as you can get, to hear something like that was a bit of a shock,” he said.

Sounds like he's a little embarressed about the fuss, and doesn't think its much of a deal.

Re: Patrick McGinnity sanctioned over vilification of Demon player's (Petterd) mum

He's actually been a pretty decent player this season and has had articles written about him over here :p

It will be quite obvious what I think of this, of course, but I just think that the AFL is heading in the wrong direction at the moment - maybe sledging in itself will be banned outright within a few seasons.

Ha, I must admit ignorance when it comes to McGinnity, can't say I've followed his season that closely. I personally think West Coast's discipline/gameplan execution is as if not more impressive than its talent, but there's no question if he's getting a run in you side at the moment he must be producing.

The way your boys have turned it around in the space of a year is not only impressive, but gives us Melbourne fans hope that with the right coach and (more importantly) the right player buy in, the jump from 'talented list' to contender might not be too far away. Good luck in the finals mate. :thumbsu:

The issue here isn't the fact that Petterd is weak or not for reporting him - it's that the AFL wants to send a strong message to the players and those interested in AFL that women shouldn't be treated as simple sex objects who can be used as the butt of a joke - women should be respected.

While the one week ban shocked me, I can see where they're coming from. Making fun of someone's mum is a clear sign of a lack of class/intelligence, and it craps all over the hard work they've been doing to include women as an important part of the AFL and getting girls interested in the game.

I know this sort of sounds a bit new-agey and wanky, but I think that if we want to have a positive culture change in the new breed of AFL players and avoid the sex scandals of the NRL, they should come down hard on things like this.

Post makes sense.

Re: Patrick McGinnity sanctioned over vilification of Demon player's (Petterd) mum - *Troll get a we

Agreed - this is becoming a run-through for the Darwin Awards.

Non-MFC - you are always free to post constructively in these threads. That may mean a reasoned critique of our club. We can handle this.

Crimson's thread is at hand if you need relief, troll-wise.

Our Board will also be glad to know that those who are going on a compulsory holiday are receiving a highly personalised email as they shuffle towards the exit-lounge . . . . .

Any chance you can post a sample of the exit emails? :D

... maybe sledging in itself will be banned outright within a few seasons.

I'd be happy to see that. I've never had any respect for the sledging aspect of sport. It's childish and lacking in class. I know some people like the idea of having a psychological battle within a game but I just don't respect it. I just want sport to be about playing the game. Name-calling is for primary-schoolers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be happy to see that. I've never had any respect for the sledging aspect of sport. It's childish and lacking in class. I know some people like the idea of having a psychological battle within a game but I just don't respect it. I just want sport to be about playing the game. Name-calling is for primary-schoolers.
I have never been a sledger but I do not mind it.

If it it ruffles feathers, throws someone off their game or they can't keep their cool then so be it. You have won a battle.

Some of the most effective sledges I have heard are simple and performance related.

Re: Patrick McGinnity sanctioned over vilification of Demon player's (Petterd) mum - *Trolls get a w

After all the talk earlier in the year about bruise free footy from the Carlton game, I don't think this really helps Melbourne much. I think for most people now it will only add to that reputation even though we don't know exactly what was said.

I think it would help Melbourne if we heard what was said so everyone can judge themselves what they think about

Maybe, but for me Ricky played a committed game of football.

So what if he, maybe (I'm still hearing constantly conflicting things about what heppened), overreacted to a stupid comment from an opposition player after he was involved in a bit of push and shove.

That doesn't seem soft to me.

Hearing that he threatening to rape his mum, and was said several times. wouldn't classify that anywhere near sledging. deserved his penalty.

Pure speculation at this point. The players, clubs and AFL are keeping mum about it (pardon the expression).

We do have the vision on hand of the particular altercation at half time (posted in that big thread on the main board) where people are attempting to lip read what was said, but really, your guess is as good as mine.

Hearing that he threatening to rape his mum, and was said several times. wouldn't classify that anywhere near sledging. deserved his penalty.

If that is true he deserves what he got then maybe should have got more

Think Petterd just needs to think quicker on his feet - I mean look at McGinnity's haircut - appears that he had it cut in a manual arts workshop with a ruler! Plenty of ammo to return fire with right there!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back