Traded Patrick Ryder traded to Port for picks 17 and 37

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately I think you could be right. There is no chance that Port will give a top 15-20 player to us. We might get Butcher, but I'm not a huge fan of his. I see no way that Ryder walks and we get something decent for him, unless another club is involved.

Dont blame you on Butcher, watched him in the SANFL, greatest spud ever, you would be better with pick 50. I think trade talk had butcher rated as a third round today

Just on Butcher, he draws very polarising views from the PAFC faithful but the guy has talent. I'm one that thinks highly of him. He has had horrible luck with injury and has had confidence issues this year that I feel stem from this but a change may be catalyst. He was once dubbed "The Future" of the PAFC. Even with his issues this year he was our leading SANFL goal kicker. Anyway, not trying to sell because I still have hopes for him but if that's what you ended up with you might end up with a diamond.

Ken Hinkley has done wonders with your young list. If he cant fit Butcher in then I question if he will make it at AFL level. If he lands at the club I would want Lloyd to coach him one on one for 12 months.

Dont blame you on Butcher, watched him in the SANFL, greatest spud ever, you would be better with pick 50. I think trade talk had butcher rated as a third round today

Some on our board are interested in him because we have forward issues and need help there. He might not be perfect but that is the theme on our board.

Yeah no-one can kick those 20 goals he managed this year. Hard to see anyone else managing that less than one goal per game average.

Wait..David Hale averaged more than that...okay he should have been an AA then.

Personally I am happy enough for Roughhead to be the backup ruck in that side and I take the extra 50 goals he managed. If they were going to pick a second ruck it should have been Jacobs. He was the unlucky one not to be selected not Ryder.
Ryder kicked 21 in home and away. Hale kicked 19 if footywire is correct.

Anyway I was more referring to the type of goals he kicks eg: north game.

He also played as a pure ruck all year unlike hale who spends more time forward.

I guess roughy can do that role but I wouldve had him and buddy probably as my 2 keys maybe riewoldt did deserve a gig though. Probably dont want a guy like roughy risking himself in the ruck too often.

Jacobs shouldve got the ruck gig there isnt much more he can do.

that trade involving gws port and essendon that ive seen floating around seems perfect.

Port lose: Pick 16 and 35
Port Gain: Ryder

GWS lose: giles
GWS gain: Pick 35

Essendon lose: Ryder
Essendon gain: pick 16 and Giles

which player would you want with pick 16?
16 + ?

If thats what you mean I know most of our fans think Oshea. Maybe young aswell both are fringe types ie not definite, non argumental best 16-18.

I wouldn't mind 16 and 35. Maybe impey can come into the equation but I can understand you guys feeling ripped off as hes in only his 1st Yr and looks exciting

16 + ?

If thats what you mean I know most of our fans think Oshea. Maybe young aswell both are fringe types ie not definite, non argumental best 16-18.

I wouldn't mind 16 and 35. Maybe impey can come into the equation but I can understand you guys feeling ripped off as hes in only his 1st Yr and looks exciting
not too unreasonable

Young is a big chance and will likely be of more use to you then o'shea and impey. I do rate young and would rather keep him though, he's be in my best 22

why is this so hard to understand?

Because that is not how any market works. You are completely ignoring the issue of leverage and other market influences.

If you sell a piece of real estate (or, for whatever reason, are 'forced' to sell to it), potential investors couldn't care less about what you value this property at. Nor do they give two hoots what you paid for it, and how much you have invested into it. The issue of fairness, is non-existent. You'll be paid, what the investor is willing to give up. Don't like what's being offered? Then take the property off the market. Not in a position to do that? Well tough.

Sometimes the market works in your favour, and you reap a massive profit. Other times, you're not so lucky.

It is, what it is.

that trade involving gws port and essendon that ive seen floating around seems perfect.

I don't think gws will go for that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not too unreasonable

Young is a big chance and will likely be of more use to you then o'shea and impey. I do rate young and would rather keep him though, he's be in my best 22
Nah, we dont need midfielders but I think he is the better player than Oshea who can be iffy one on one and with his kicking along with that decision making.

Oshea wouldn't be getting games if fletcher continues on so it could prolong his development.

Id like Impey and he'd help Our side most then oshea would replace fletcher

Because that is not how any market works. You are completely ignoring the issue of leverage and other market influences.

If you sell a piece of real estate (or, for whatever reason, are 'forced' to sell to it), potential investors couldn't care less about what you value this property at. Nor do they give two hoots what you paid for it, and how much you have invested into it. The issue of fairness, is non-existent. You'll be paid, what the investor is willing to give up. Don't like what's being offered, then take the property off the market. Not in a position to do that? Well tough.

Sometimes the market works in your favour, and you reap a massive profit. Other times, you're not so lucky.

It is, what it is.
Totally irrelevant analogy.

Totally irrelevant analogy.

How? The issue of Ryder's contract, is somewhat irreverent, and a non-issue.

Ryder wants out of the city of Melbourne. Is EFC really going to make Ryder fulfill his contractual obligations? Can not see that as being a valid option, or even in EFC's best interests.

Last edited:
How? The issue of Ryder's contract, is somewhat irreverent, and a non-issue.

Ryder wants out of the city of Melbourne. Is EFC really going to make Ryder fulfill his contractual obligation/s? Can not see that as being a valid option, or even in EFC best interests.
Yet, here you are posting on the matter. I don't have the time to explain the difference between buying real estate and trading players.

I think they might. Giles has a lot of goodwill at the club and they've shown they're willing to trade players out for reasonable prices if they're not best 22.

Reckon that's about as good as anything I have seen.

I don't have the time to explain the difference between buying real estate and trading players.

Implying that I don't understand (or are aware of) the intricate differences between buying real estate and trading players, is just childish Astro. Regardless of these differences, both operate in a marketplace that is subjected to external and internal forces, which can be of major influence, and often/usually out of one's control. You are the one who proclaimed irrelevancy, at least you could do is state your reasoning why.

Clearly, many need to learn the difference between market value, and intrinsic value.

Implying that I don't understand (or are aware of) the intricate differences between buying real estate and trading players, is just childish Astro. Regardless of these differences, both operate in a marketplace that is subjected to external and internal forces, which can be of major influence, and often/usually out of one's control. You are the one who proclaimed irrelevancy, at least you could do is state your reasoning why.

Clearly, many need to learn the difference between market value, and intrinsic value.

Pick 16 for your house. Deal? ;)

Pick 16 for your house. Deal? ;)

Already been offered pick 9. Ball is in your court.

You see Dlanod, I don't have a lack of leverage. My house is happy to be 'traded' to anyone.

Last edited:

Giles is uncontracted, GWS has very little leverage there.

We'd be better off getting Pick 16 + 35 directly from PA for Ryder and doing a stand alone trade for Giles.

If Essendon was his preferred destination and he requested a trade to us we'd get him for our third rounder (pick 50).

Giles is uncontracted, GWS has very little leverage there.

We'd be better off getting Pick 16 + 35 directly from PA for Ryder and doing a stand alone trade for Giles.

If Essendon was his preferred destination and he requested a trade to us we'd get him for our third rounder (pick 50).

Won't work. Giles is contracted until the end of next year. Giles has just asked to be traded because he's obviously not in serious game time contention with the addition of Mumford and the adoption of a single ruck system.

Already been offered pick 9. Ball is in your court.

You see Dlanod, I don't have a lack of leverage. My house is happy to be 'traded' to anyone.

I'm shocked to find that my post worked twice in a week! :D

"That's it, I'm off!"

BkwJKFsCYAAZCOa.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back