Traded Patrick Ryder traded to Port for picks 17 and 37

Remove this Banner Ad

With all due respect Hollywood23, your club will not take a militant stance on Ryder and force him to stay against his will. Your club is intelligent enough to get a deal done with Port. Port is smart enough to know that they are in prime position here, but Essendon are savvy enough to get something back.

Suggesting you can trade him to whoever you want is naiive and completely false.

do you really expect that any player would want to be traded to you if that is the mentality?

That takes a backseat to my concern of a contracted player walking out on the club and getting to go wherever he wants, with the club receiving nothing that is comparable to his value.

That takes a backseat to my concern of a contracted player walking out on the club and getting to go wherever he wants, with the club receiving nothing that is comparable to his value.
port have said all along that they will be doing a deal which is fair to the bombers. Pick 16 + promising young player (on the fringe)​

Not only that. Port have always seemed to be good to deal / trade with.
As i believe they were the easiest / tried the hardest with Birssy and polec out of all the trades Brissy did

Not only that. Port have always seemed to be good to deal / trade with.
As i believe they were the easiest / tried the hardest with Birssy and polec out of all the trades Brissy did
Unlike the Crows, Port was willing to negotiate at the trade table to get the Polec deal done. I think Port are reasonably fair at the trade table

Unlike the Crows, Port was willing to negotiate at the trade table to get the Polec deal done. I think Port are reasonably fair at the trade table

Yer we busted our butts getting a third team involved to make it some what fairer. which wasnt high on the priorities of other teams dealing with brissy

So basically, the trading "rules" of the fantastical Drafts and Trading board is reality? Wake up.

No.

A player cannot be traded anywhere without his consent in the AFL.

That's the rule and it's always been that way.

You can't simply trade him to whoever you want if he doesn't want to go there. Maybe brush up on the trading rules.

Ryder certainly has to agree to a trade, so if he doesn't want to go to GWS, Brisbane, whoever, he won't go.

Essendon know this and I'm sure they will be dealing with Port exclusively.

It's funny sitting back reading everyone, as if they are actually doing the deal.
How do we know Essendon and Port aren't actually close to doing a trade that both clubs are happy with?

I don't even barrack for Essendon, but if I read one more time that they are hard to dealing with at trade time, I'll spew up!!
Try dealing with Chris Pelchen.

Essendon and Port did each other a favour with the Angus Monfries trade, making sure Essendon at least got something for him and Ports FA compensation wasn't affected with Chaplin leaving.

I think this deal will get done fine.
Pick 16 and a swap of later draft picks seems fair and likely, but maybe a fringe player looking for opportunities might be involved instead.

Ryder certainly has to agree to a trade, so if he doesn't want to go to GWS, Brisbane, whoever, he won't go.

Essendon know this and I'm sure they will be dealing with Port exclusively.

It's funny sitting back reading everyone, as if they are actually doing the deal.
How do we know Essendon and Port aren't actually close to doing a trade that both clubs are happy with?

I don't even barrack for Essendon, but if I read one more time that they are hard to dealing with at trade time, I'll spew up!!
Try dealing with Chris Pelchen.

Essendon and Port did each other a favour with the Angus Monfries trade, making sure Essendon at least got something for him and Ports FA compensation wasn't affected with Chaplin leaving.

I think this deal will get done fine.
Pick 16 and a swap of later draft picks seems fair and likely, but maybe a fringe player looking for opportunities might be involved instead.

Only 18 posts in 8 years, you need to post more often if this is the type of commonsense you will be contributing

No.

A player cannot be traded anywhere without his consent in the AFL.

That's the rule and it's always been that way.

You can't simply trade him to whoever you want if he doesn't want to go there. Maybe brush up on the trading rules.

All these rules being mentioned, yet where do your "rules" state that a club has to trade a contracted player? Sure, the player can refuse to go to a club not of his choice, and guess what, the incumbent club can refuse to trade the player to his club of choice.

Ryan O'Keefe
Mitch Clark
And funnily enough, Nick Stevens. Do you remember him? I'd say that is the perfect example of the Port calling the kettle black.

All these rules being mentioned, yet where do your "rules" state that a club has to trade a contracted player? Sure, the player can refuse to go to a club not of his choice, and guess what, the incumbent club can refuse to trade the player to his club of choice.

Might want to tone down the aggression. The "rules", as you call them, are the AFL Player Rules and are available on the internet. Yes, all three parties involved have to agree to a trade - the two clubs and any players involved. If any decline, the trade cannot go through.

Might want to tone down the aggression. The "rules", as you call them, are the AFL Player Rules and are available on the internet. Yes, all three parties involved have to agree to a trade - the two clubs and any players involved. If any decline, the trade cannot go through.

Meh, i'm just defending the interests of my club against the vultures looking to pick at our bones.

You can break bones when riding on such a high horse buddy.
Essendon can't send Ryder anywhere, he wants to go to Port, he will get to port. My guess is round 1 and round 2 pick (18 and 37 perhaps) or round 1 and butcher. I hope essendon get this deal done quickly.
Port come out slightly ahead in this deal but essendon can only get more if another club makes a really strong bid and Ryder reconsiders which seems unlikely.

Not true. Ryder also has to agree and sign-off on the trade, as Schulzenfest previously stated.

Then do it. Give it your best shot.

Just as it is within Essendon's rights to decline a trade, it's within Port Adelaide's rights to only offer bread crumbs. PAFC doesn't have to appease EFC (and it's fans), if it doesn't want to. It's called democracy. And the protection of freedom, should always come before the pursuit of 'fairness'.

"Get real", you say?

I say, "Learn your place".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And funnily enough, Nick Stevens. Do you remember him? I'd say that is the perfect example of the Port calling the kettle black

Throw in Ben Jacobs as well

Both players want out. Both nominated a preferred club. PAFC didn't like what was being offered, and declined to do a trade. Both Stevens and Jacobs proceeded to quit the club, with Stevens subsequently entering the pre-season draft, and Jacobs, the national draft.

Port calling the kettle black

PAFC accepted nothing for both players, let alone 'unders'. Yet, apparently, we are hypocrites.

Yeah. Ok. You run with that, champ.

Last edited:

Ryan O'Keefe
Mitch Clark
And funnily enough, Nick Stevens. Do you remember him? I'd say that is the perfect example of the Port calling the kettle black.

Ryan O'Keefe was a different situation. He was happy with the club, but wanted to live in Melbourne. Ryder isn't happy with the club.

Mitch Clark was traded exactly where he wanted to be traded. Freo played hard ball, Melbourne him a fat contract and he agreed to be traded there. If Ryder tells Essendon he's happy to go elsewhere then you'll be able to start a bit of a bidding war. That isn't happening at the moment.

Nick Stevens was out of contract and went into the PSD to Carlton because Collingwood couldn't satisfy us in a trade. We won the flag the following year. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with any of these examples.

No, you're not obliged to trade a player under contract. You're more than welcome to hang on to a player that doesn't want to play for your club if you like. Alternatively you could deal with the club he has nominated and get reasonable compensation in the form of a first round draft pick + steak knives for him. We have never traded in bad faith in the past.

Throw in Ben Jacobs as well

Both players want out. Both nominated a preferred club. PAFC didn't like what was being offered, and declined to do a trade. Both Stevens and Jacobs proceeded to quit the club, with Stevens subsequently entering the pre-season draft, and Jacobs, the national draft.

P

PAFC accepted nothing for both players, let alone 'unders'. Yet, apparently, we are hypocrites.

Yeah. Ok. You run with that, champ.

Mate, that is contradiction to the extreme. PAFC accepted nothing for both players even though both were uncontracted. That is even more extreme than what Essendon are doing and yet we are being unreasonable in not wanting to accept a rubbish trade for one of our top 5 players. Ryder is contracted, that is the bottom line.

Mate, that is contradiction to the extreme. PAFC accepted nothing for both players even though both were uncontracted. That is even more extreme than what Essendon are doing and yet we are being unreasonable in not wanting to accept a rubbish trade for one of our top 5 players. Ryder is contracted, that is the bottom line.

What contradiction? I'm fine with Essendon refusing to trade Ryder (I just don't think that is in your club's best interests). I'm ok with PAFC missing out on Ryder.

I just believe your (and others) expectations of what Port should offer, are ludicrous. Expectations only being backed up with hyperbole.

I also have zero problem with what Stevens and Jacobs did. Port tried to play hard ball, and lost.

Last edited:
Good faith they need to throw in a reaosnable player as well I would have thought.

Good failth?

So in good faith, Port should trade a player who doesn't want to leave, let alone send them to a club that is in such disarray? I wouldn't wish that on anyone, no matter what club they played for. And my opinion certainly wouldn't change if it was the Crows attempting to trade Ryder. If the crows could get Ryder cheap, then so be it. I might even applaud.

So what if 'acting in good faith' is not feasible, Jars? What then? No trade? Well, I'm fine with that.

If Essendon supporters are looking for someone to be 'dirty' at, then look no further than Ryder's manager. He is the bloke, who through his actions and giving of advice, has lowered the already diminished leverage Essendon had. Then again, he is only doing his job.

Why does that affect Ryder? Completely separate deals.

At the end of the day, Port Adelaide are getting a player that could very likely be the difference to them winning a premiership. Essendon are losing a top 5 player of importance. Port Adelaide should stop dicking around and offer a reasonable trade. To get quality, you will have to give quality. Gold Coast turned down pick 19 and Cale Hooker for Josh Caddy, who was an unproven injury riddled high draft pick.

Get real Port Adelaide.

How so?

had his best season by a mile and finished 7th in the BnF

Plus with Gorringe and now Lowden, who is doing a tour, who could come to Port makes it less and less likely Port will go over the top for Ryder.
Could bolster our ruck stocks with Gorringe and Lowden plus keep a first round pick. Also doesnt sound like a bad option!

I can't wait to hear about power disregarding Ryder in favour of gorringe and lowden. Not happening I reckon.

Plus with Gorringe and now Lowden, who is doing a tour, who could come to Port makes it less and less likely Port will go over the top for Ryder.
Could bolster our ruck stocks with Gorringe and Lowden plus keep a first round pick. Also doesnt sound like a bad option!

I can't wait to hear about power disregarding Ryder in favour of gorringe and lowden. Not happening I reckon.

neither can i. But what it shows is Port are putting in place a plan B or back up ideas if things do go pear shaped. Smart!
Better then offering picks 16 and say the one in the 30s up until the last day and ess saying na we want 16 and a Hartlett/ Wines/ Wingard which wont happen. then scrambling at the last minute to put other ideas in place

Remove this Banner Ad

Back