Traded Patrick Ryder traded to Port for picks 17 and 37

Remove this Banner Ad

I think what is clear from the last few pages of this thread is that PAFC supporters clearly do not rate Ryder. Lucky for you that your coach does, and hopefully a fair and equitable trade will be struck that will satisfy both parties. At the end of the day, that is all I'm seeking for my club, and Port fans should be excited that you will be getting a player who could clearly take you to the next level. Just don't expect to get him for steak knives.

Meh, i'm just defending the interests of my club against the vultures looking to pick at our bones.
Of course you want to defend your club. But can you blame clubs for sniffing around and not offering much for one of your good players who wants out?

If a good Port player wanted out and said they'd only go to Essendon, do you think that Essendon would pay overs to get it done? Of course not.

Both sides of this are behaving in a completely understandable way. Port see a good player available, put a pitch to him, and he says he wants to come to Port - they are gonna make an offer, and they are going to start low. Essendon don't want to lose this player, but realise it's likely, so they try to get as much back for him as possible. Again, completely understandable.

No need for anyone to be getting agro at each other... AFL clubs aren't stupid, these two teams will get a fair deal done

How so?

had his best season by a mile and finished 7th in the BnF

Did you miss the word 'importance' even though you bolded it? He may have finished 7th in the B&F, but he's our #1 ruckman with our only other back up having a shocking year and is still fairly unproven in the #1 role. He is far and away in our top 5 most important players, in fact it could be argued that he is our most important player.

What supporters post on their own boards isn't really relevant to a discussion on the D&T board, given it's only ever brought across as support for trolling so give it a rest.

For Bomber fans what best 22 player would get it over the line with pick 16? And be reasonable it ain't going to be Wines, Wingard etc.

It was one of your mob who said you always bargained in good faith.

Jars, just because a potential trade doesn't meet the expectations of one club's supporters, doesn't mean the other club is being unfair or not acting in good faith.

Knowing that Ryder is set on going to Port, and the Lions are neck-deep in Beams, Port could be far more ruthless than offering our 1st pick plus a Newton-range player or our 2nd pick. Is this not evidence of at least some 'good faith', Jars?

Look, if Essendon didn't have its off-field issues (with potential on-field ramifications) and subsequently become a more desirable trade destination, then I'm sure Port would be in a position to offer more. However, this isn't the case. There is only so much Port, within reason, can do.

It's those the off-field issues, the ASADA factor, and lack of leverage (some of which Ryder has attributed to) that are going to 'screw' over Essendon. Not Port. If the leverage was in EFC's favour, and numerous clubs were vying for Ryder's services. Few EFC supporters would be concerned about the 'fairness' of the deal. Not only would they be happy to accept overs, they would be demanding it.

At the end of the day, that is all I'm seeking for my club, and Port fans should be excited that you will be getting a player who could clearly take you to the next level.

You are looking out for the best interests of EFC, and there's nothing wrong with that.

However, can't you see that is in PAFC best interests, to get Ryder as cheap as possible?

Last edited:
id be happy with our first 2 picks for him. easy. done. 16 And 30something

Would you still be happy with it if he then was suspended for anywhere between six months and two years with no contact with the club? Depending on the way things go you could be offering those picks up for a 29 year old who hasn't played footy at any level for two years. Is the AFL offering any sort of indemnity to clubs who trade in under those circumstances and on the flip side any way to remove the benefit that the Bombers get out of the trade IF a traded player goes?

You can bet your life that any deal offered will be taking these factors into account, as it should, and thus what is fair value for Paddy is altered by that. It's not gloating, it's not implying anything is going to happen, it's just a reality. There is a risk attached to trading for this player over and above the usual risks.

Would you still be happy with it if he then was suspended for anywhere between six months and two years with no contact with the club? Depending on the way things go you could be offering those picks up for a 29 year old who hasn't played footy at any level for two years. Is the AFL offering any sort of indemnity to clubs who trade in under those circumstances and on the flip side any way to remove the benefit that the Bombers get out of the trade IF a traded player goes?

You can bet your life that any deal offered will be taking these factors into account, as it should, and thus what is fair value for Paddy is altered by that. It's not gloating, it's not implying anything is going to happen, it's just a reality. There is a risk attached to trading for this player over and above the usual risks.

Makes it harder for sure. Our club would have to go through and do all the due diligence it can and well hope for the best! Seeing as it doesnt look like it will be any clearer come trade time. Not to mention we have monfries on the list also.
6 months i could hack, any longer and well no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

neither can i. But what it shows is Port are putting in place a plan B or back up ideas if things do go pear shaped. Smart!
Better then offering picks 16 and say the one in the 30s up until the last day and ess saying na we want 16 and a Hartlett/ Wines/ Wingard which wont happen. then scrambling at the last minute to put other ideas in place

Agree pick 16 and a player 15-22 seems fair (not too many would want to go there but not any difference when West coast had the drug culture and yet players still went there) , what would a 15-22 player be worth on Ports list 2nd or 3rd round? Is Impey a 15-22 player if so is he worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder he is obviously not worth a 1st rounder!

its not the calibre of player thats the problem. its the type of player and the role we drafted him to play

Who would be the players that rank in the 15-22 I suppose you could look through the Prelim team and choose the worst 7!! As none of those are worth a 1st round draft pick, otherwise you would rate your first 22 as 1st rounders!

Who would be the players that rank in the 15-22 I suppose you could look through the Prelim team and choose the worst 7!! As none of those are worth a 1st round draft pick, otherwise you would rate your first 22 as 1st rounders!

Moore.

He was a first round pick as well, if that helps.

Edit: Sorry, misread your post.

Our club would have to go through and do all the due diligence it can

What due diligence can you do on such an issue? As far as I am aware the AFL hasn't provided a strategy for dealing with the ramifications and are unlikely to do so for fear of pre-empting the judgement or some such other rubbish reason to be non-committal. In the absence of knowledge due diligence can only be to assume the worst which is a two year suspension with no compensation. Under those circumstances ANY trade for Paddy Ryder can be halved in value.

Also PAFC would be cognisant of the fact that Paddy enacting the get out clause provided by the AFL (i.e. effective free agency) would be a PR nightmare for Essendon as it requires him to basically say that he believes he was doped and misled about it. If they didn't use that to drive down his price a little further they would be mad. It's not nice but that's business.

Moore would be the only one that would be put up for trade from that side

i'm so lost. are you saying that Impey the player we picked just outside the first round last year. who overperformed in his debut season playing 16 games is worth less than the pick we selected him with?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back