patrick smith this morning on sen

Remove this Banner Ad

A Diakos

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
apparently he was on radio claiming he does not see any Victorian team winning a flag in the next 10 years aside from hawthorn

did anyone hear it ?? can they fill in on what was said and if he provided a rational for this thought

Nice discussion topic. Us to one side who is going to challenge? I reckon the dogs are closer to winning a flag than the other rabbles. Some of their kids look very likely.

Agree. All the talk about how good the Gold Coasts and GWS young kids are, yet the Dogs are building a very nice list. The Bulldogs midfield in 3-4 years time will be very good.

Ive watched Gold Coast about 6 times in the last 12 months .. Believe me when I say, these kids are going to be elite within 2-3 years ... Not saying they'll be as good as Brisbane 2001-2004 ... But not far off.

Victorian clubs will struggle playing at Carrara ... The hudmity is tuff for Qld'ers ... Let alone VIC clubs that might only experience it 2-3 times year.

You can go on all you like about altitude training .. Come play in heat, sorts the men out from the boys

IMO North and Richmond only need a few players to emerge. Their lists have a few holes that need plugging. Jag a couple of free agents and trade astutely and they could both be thereabouts.

The Dogs need Boyd to become a player. They have put their eggs in the one basket imo. If Boyd fails, their up and coming mids won't save them.

Despite everything Essendon have actually compiled a reasonable list. Losing Ryder hurts them. Hopefully ASADA hurts them too.

Carlton, Pies, Saints in rebuild mode. I think the Pies have positioned themselves reasonable well through gaining early picks via the trade period. I think the Pies will hit back more quickly than the other two.

Geelong. I was lampooned in earlier threads picking their demise. I am still picking a fall. Their kids just don't look up to it. Predicting they will be nuisance value for a few years yet and not much more.

Melbourne. These guys, given all their early picks should jump. It could happen or it may not. Out of all the VIC teams they should be primed in a few more years but who knows? It is still a bit early to make a judgment on whether the young Dee's are heading up. Losing an AA full back hurts.

Agree with Nuggets73 GCS are the biggest threat. They will learn discipline under Eade.

Agree on Boyd but at least they had a crack. Compare that to the pies who snagged Jesse White. You wont win a flag betting each way. Port should be around the mark for a few years and the new franchises will emerge.

Dogs still a long way off but they seem to be at least trying to win a flag.

Agree. All the talk about how good the Gold Coasts and GWS young kids are, yet the Dogs are building a very nice list. The Bulldogs midfield in 3-4 years time will be very good.

Boyd is boom or bust though, I reckon. Massive contract predicated on developing a certain way. If he doesn't the financial commitment will hamper the list for years to come. Gutsy move though, we'll soon see if it pays off.

On another note with the Dogs: they now have a very capable and forward-thinking coach, which will do them wonders, I believe.

apparently he was on radio claiming he does not see any Victorian team winning a flag in the next 10 years aside from hawthorn

did anyone hear it ?? can they fill in on what was said and if he provided a rational for this thought
Funnily enough Rohan Connelly said the exact same thing last week on SEN!
They replay his comments as part of a advert for their "expert football analysis"

Sure you didn't just hear the ad?

I don't think North Melbourne saw what happened at Richmond in 2001. They made a prelim, tried to top up with has beens and aging supposed superstars and they wrecked their list for years. St. Kilda did similar under Ross Lyon.

They will be going downhill fast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we defended Victoria's honour in 1991 against the first interstate onslaught by preventing West Coast from taking the cup outside Victoria, only for a limp wristed Geelong to let them walk in at their leisure in 1992. Now we have defended the state against 2 additional challenges in consecutive seasons in 2013 & 2014. I guess as usual it falls to us to keep them at bay.

Hawthorn Football Club - defender of the state.

History of Victorian teams playing interstate teams in the grand final:

1991 - Hawthorn defeated West Coast
1992 - Geelong defeated by West Coast
1994 - Geelong defeated by West Coast
1996 - North Melbourne defeated Sydney
1997 - St Kilda defeated by Adelaide
1998 - North Melbourne defeated by Adelaide
2001 - Essendon defeated by Brisbane
2002 - Collingwood defeated by Brisbane
2003 - Collingwood defeated by Brisbane
2007 - Geelong defeated Port Adelaide
2012 - Hawthorn defeated by Sydney
2013 - Hawthorn defeated Fremantle
2014 - Hawthorn defeated Sydney

Last edited:
Well we defended Victoria's honour in 1991 against the first interstate onslaught by preventing West Coast from taking the cup outside Victoria, only for a limp wristed Geelong to let them walk in at their leisure in 1992. Now we have defended the state against 2 additional challenges in consecutive seasons in 2013 & 2014. I guess as usual it falls to us to keep them at bay.

Defender of Melbourne teams too. Aside from the Pies arsing themselves a flag in '10, we're the only Melbourne team to win a flag in a decade and a half.

Surely the Dees and Dogs with a wealth of young talent may get there in 4 - 5 years time if they draft and recruit well.

Doggies last flag - 1954
Dees last flag - 1964

They haven't been able to get it right in the last 61 and 51 years respectively so I wouldn't expect much to change in the next 4 or 5.
In this competition the battlers will be the battlers imo.

Doggies last flag - 1954
Dees last flag - 1964

They haven't been able to get it right in the last 61 and 51 years respectively so I wouldn't expect much to change in the next 4 or 5.
In this competition the battlers will be the battlers imo.

Hawthorn flags since the Demons and Bulldogs last flags:
Demons: 11
Bulldogs: 12

Funnily enough Rohan Connelly said the exact same thing last week on SEN!
They replay his comments as part of a advert for their "expert football analysis"

Sure you didn't just hear the ad?
It was actually Greg Denham. I was listening at the time. It's pretty outlandish to suggest anyone can't win a flag within a 10 year time frame. Look at what we achieved from 2003-2008.

2003 - Collingwood defeated by Brisbane

North Melbourne defeated Sydney in 1996

It was actually Greg Denham. I was listening at the time. It's pretty outlandish to suggest anyone can't win a flag within a 10 year time frame. Look at what we achieved from 2003-2008.
Correct Weight (and it is an advert because the fabulus one, Jon Ralph can be heard).

For the record Patrick Smith was more measmerized by the 37 points in a 1/4 scoree by a Golden State Warriors player in the NBA. The commentary on it is very amusing, simply cheering and willing what was unbelievable.

Sensationalist call.

At the start of 2005 would anyone have tipped Geelong and Hawthorn to play off in 7 of the next 10 GFs, winning 6 of them? That Port would completely bottom out before shooting back up the ladder in this time? That West Coast would yo-yo up and down the ladder while Sydney continued to play finals perpetually? That St Kilda would play off in 2 (technically 3?) GFs and have nothing to show for it and would be wooden spooners all in a 10 year period?

I bet not. And if someone could I doubt anyone on that show would be it.

At last.
A real SEN listener, with a realistic view on Denham's crap.
So few regular listeners of SEN in here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back