patrick smith this morning on sen

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive watched Gold Coast about 6 times in the last 12 months .. Believe me when I say, these kids are going to be elite within 2-3 years ... Not saying they'll be as good as Brisbane 2001-2004 ... But not far off.

Victorian clubs will struggle playing at Carrara ... The hudmity is tuff for Qld'ers ... Let alone VIC clubs that might only experience it 2-3 times year.

You can go on all you like about altitude training .. Come play in heat, sorts the men out from the boys
Naw, that's so cute that you think the gold coast is hot and humid.

Cool and dry is how we people from Tully would describe it.

We've just moved down to brisbane relatively recently and listening to people complain about this "heat and humidity" is like Canadians having an giggle at Canberrans talking about cold.

Chris Grant on verge of quitting the Dogs.

Trouble at the kennel

Might be just Beveridge bringing out the broom to sweep the joint clean....Seem to recall Clarko kicking Brereton off the training track early doors.

Often-times old stagers & their egos can more get in the way rather than being helpful.

Surely the Dees and Dogs with a wealth of young talent may get there in 4 - 5 years time if they draft and recruit well.

Patrick Smith is a bit of a media whore for mine and likes making sensationalist comments.

Never underestimate culture... These clubs have lacked culture for half a century.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Naw, that's so cute that you think the gold coast is hot and humid.

Cool and dry is how we people from Tully would describe it.

We've just moved down to brisbane relatively recently and listening to people complain about this "heat and humidity" is like Canadians having an giggle at Canberrans talking about cold.

Haha ... Fair call compared to Tully .. Nice & warm up there!
... Hope you are enjoying the Goldie mate!!

Might be just Beveridge bringing out the broom to sweep the joint clean....Seem to recall Clarko kicking Brereton off the training track early doors.

Often-times old stagers & their egos can more get in the way rather than being helpful.

Yep Melbourne need to do the same. Gary Lyon is a media personality with a big mouth. The day Clarko kicked Brereton off the training track was the day I believed the club was moving forward again. (Too many cooks and all that). Hope Beveridge does well. Out of all the clubs I would love the Dogs to win a flag in the near future.

apparently he was on radio claiming he does not see any Victorian team winning a flag in the next 10 years aside from hawthorn

did anyone hear it ?? can they fill in on what was said and if he provided a rational for this thought

Silly thing to say, who thought at the end of 2004 we would be saluting 4 years later? A lot can change. Who would have thought late in 2011 Port Adelaide would be a kick off a GF 3 years on?

I saw an article in our paper yesterday saying Trigg is very impressed by Malthouse. There was an image depicting Trigg with that dumb look on his face, and that annoying tough guy pose that Malthouse bungs on. I thought to myself, "Carlton's in good hands" .... then a had a good chuckle to myself :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone bangs on about GWS list and the Suns list and presumes they will each playoff for the flag in the next 8 years.

There are a lot of Melbourne teams that are in the mix for the next 2-3 years -Hawks, Kangaroos, Cats and dare I say it even the Tigers with some injury luck and a couple of quality free agents and they can win a flag or two.

Port and Sydney have assembled great lists and have the hurt from getting so close and they will be driven more internally than any of us know.

All the talk of the Hawks list and 3 peats in the media is complete and utter BS. So many questions still on us about this year ahead that I am looking forward to seeing it all unfold...

Can our ageing midfield stars have enough energy and enthusiasm to go again after getting us to the final 4 in the past 4 years....(Not just the first 5 or 6 rounds but a long grinding season is bloody hard work)

Can our coaching group manage our injuries and keep injecting new enthusiasm into our side at regular intervals to keep everyone hungry and mentally fresh all year?

Can Mcevoy develop into an A Grade ruck is massive for us over the next 6-7 years as a club?

How do we keep the likes of Litherland (I love this kid) enthusiastic starting at Box Hill when he would be playing in every other teams backline?

Is our list talented on paper......Absolutely. Could we win another flag.......Absolutely. Are others sides improving.....Absolutely. Do we need a stack of things to line up for us to be a chance to 3peat.......Absolutely.

Bring it on.

Anyone who makes confident predictions about what's happening in AFL 10 years from now is an idiot.

If someone had come to me in 05 and said we'd make 4 Grand Finals in the next decade, I would have told them to get stuffed.

Anyone who makes confident predictions about what's happening in AFL 10 years from now is an idiot.

If someone had come to me in 05 and said we'd make 4 Grand Finals in the next decade, I would have told them to get stuffed.
I would have said, you beauty!

You all need to place more value on culture and history! GC and GWS have none of that, they need to get there first, experience it and win on the biggest days in September before we can start to talk about them being powers.

Someone earlier said the heat sorts the men out from the kids, September is the only true measuring stick.

You all need to place more value on culture and history! GC and GWS have none of that, they need to get there first, experience it and win on the biggest days in September before we can start to talk about them being powers.

Someone earlier said the heat sorts the men out from the kids, September is the only true measuring stick.
Not that I disagree entirely but Hawthorn History pre 1960s was not exactly a story of success!

Not that I disagree entirely but Hawthorn History pre 1960s was not exactly a story of success!

My post was a little abrupt, but I think you understand what I am saying. Although circumstances are very different it did take our footy club 40 odd years to start to be relevant, now I am not placing those time frames on GC or GWS but it still plays a huge part. The problem with putting all this talent together when the majority are the same age is that we have a bunch of big fish coming together and are expected to be little fish apart of the same team. Who are these kids role models? Gary Ablett, great footballer seems a decent captain but does he lead as well the Selwoods, Browns, Watsons ( who I think is a great captain) and Hodge? Who does GWS have? They have Callan Ward! Good footballer but gee, is he expected to create a winning culture and lead kids when himself came from a rabble footy club!

Being talented juniors and being individually brilliant does not transcend into team success and a winning culture, the walls those kids do their weights in and have their meetings in, do they have the same air of history and culture?

I've been overseas and had some tours of the Staples centre, lambeau field as well Old Trafford and St.James park and you can literally feel the history of the place, you look around and see the pictures of legends everywhere and you can just imagine how much pride you would have representing such organisations. This is the key reason as to why the struggles of GWS and GC will be long and hard and very real, now they may just have the talent and leadership to prove me wrong but I still feel we are a while away from any threatening dominance.

I was going to say it's a stupid call - and that you can't predict what will happen in the next 10 years. Except in hindsight, it's probably a fair call.

First, we have outstanding depth and should dominate Victorian clubs in next few years. Secondly, GWS and Gold Coast have extraordinary developing talent. It's not outlandish to say that, from 2020 to 2025, GWS and Gold Coast will share a few flags.

BTW, if you were in charge of the Bullies, locked into a losing cycle, and desperately looking for a way to retain your supporter base, and generate some excitement and a winning formula, recruiting Boyd is probably a master stroke. Admittedly there's a risk factor - but this is their big chance - they only got him because they had a marquee player to trade - and could never have negotiated a trade for an established player like, say, Franklin. What else can you do? Just keep on winning 6 to 10 games a year for the next decade until you go broke. Good luck to them.

We had a high risk trade a few years ago which angered the hell out of our supporters (petitions to the board, tearing up memberships etc). We gave up Croad and McPharlin for the no. 1 draft pick and we weren't nearly as desperate as the Bullies. If that decision had gone to a members vote, Hodge wouldn't be our captain and wouldn't have won 2 Norm Smiths in premiership years.
Let boldness by my friend!

Well we defended Victoria's honour in 1991 against the first interstate onslaught by preventing West Coast from taking the cup outside Victoria, only for a limp wristed Geelong to let them walk in at their leisure in 1992. Now we have defended the state against 2 additional challenges in consecutive seasons in 2013 & 2014. I guess as usual it falls to us to keep them at bay.

Hawthorn Football Club - defender of the state.

History of Victorian teams playing interstate teams in the grand final:

1991 - Hawthorn defeated West Coast
1992 - Geelong defeated by West Coast
1994 - Geelong defeated by West Coast
1996 - North Melbourne defeated Sydney
1997 - St Kilda defeated by Adelaide
1998 - North Melbourne defeated by Adelaide
2001 - Essendon defeated by Brisbane
2002 - Collingwood defeated by Brisbane
2003 - Collingwood defeated by Brisbane
2007 - Geelong defeated Port Adelaide
2012 - Hawthorn defeated by Sydney
2013 - Hawthorn defeated Fremantle
2014 - Hawthorn defeated Sydney
You list illustrates again how BS the non-vic whinging over the unfair advantage of the MCG for grand finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back