Past Patrick Wearden (2011-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Shepparton News

Thursday, 24th November 2011

Bushrangers region manager Andrew Carson said up to five of the club’s 2011 crop and two previous players could be on AFL clubs’ radar.

Carson said he expected Myrtleford’s Jack Crisp, the Bushrangers’ best-and-fairest winner, to be selected, while Euroa’s Lachie Smith, who plays with Benalla, and Kyabram’s Patrick Wearden were strong chances.

Tuesday, 29th November 2011

Just one Bushranger had his name called out on Thursday, with Patrick Wearden joining Brisbane after being selected with pick 47.

Carson said Thursday’s draft had been a ‘‘roller-coaster’’ for the club as well as the potential draftees.

‘‘It was fantastic for Patrick (Wearden), it is a great opportunity for him, but we are still mindful that others have missed an opportunity and we hope that will change.’’

Wednesday, 30th November 2011

Within minutes of Brisbane announcing Patrick as their choice for pick number 47, the family home was swamped with family and friends ? excited, emotional and proud. Facebook and Twitter went into overdrive as the news filtered further afield, and those not able to park their car on the front lawn and burst through the door with a bottle of champagne posted messages of congratulations and support.

The phone was ringing off the hook and the young man at the centre of it all looked a little bewildered at times at all this fuss. And while his mates and young cousins gathered about, back slapping and bear hugging each other, you’d swear every mother who walked through the door had raised Patrick herself.

wearden.jpg

Wearden pride of the Lions
NOVEMBER 30, 2011 4:13am

Wearden, picked up at number 47, declared his drafting as ‘‘a big and pleasant surprise’’.

Despite having extensive talks in the presence of his father Peter with Lions list managers in Benalla on Tuesday last week before the draft, Wearden was still well aware of the odds of being drafted.

‘‘It came out of the blue, really, but I’m rapt,’’ he said at the weekend.

Wearden, a 193cm and classy left-footer, said several AFL clubs had made contact him with him before the Draft Camp in October but it was mainly Hawthorn and Brisbane Lions who had shown continuing interest after the draft.

He said the Brisbane Lions’ list managers spent about an hour-and-a-half talking with him and his father last week.

‘‘They really suss you out to see what sort of person you are and what your ambitions are. It was pretty thorough,’’ Wearden said.

wearden1.jpg

Wearden and Downie picked up in National Draft
NOVEMBER 25, 2011 5:01am

Wearden, who ventured to a neighbour’s house with his family to watch the count, described seeing his name appear on the screen as a ‘‘pretty surreal’’ feeling.

‘‘I had absolutely no idea (they were going to take me),’’ Wearden said.

‘‘I honestly thought I wasn’t going to get picked up and I would be kicking around here (Kyabram) next year.

‘‘I am still trying to come to terms with it.’’

Wearden played with the Murray Bushrangers in the TAC Cup this season and forged a reputation as a midfielder-forward who knows how to find space and is dangerous around goal.

6415466801_b9fb92e0ac.jpg

photo courtesy of stitchface

Andrew Carson

Carson said both Wearden and Elliott had the ability to make an impact at the Lions and Magpies.
"Pat tested really well at the draft combine," he said.
"He is a wing, half forward type and a real modern prototype footballer.
"He's got a lot to offer and Brisbane have seen a bit in him."

6415466977_fcc631694a.jpg

Photo courtesy of stitchface

Prime7 video

"Patty's got that ability to play at half forward, or even on a wing. He's a nice athletic boy and he can get across the ground pretty quickly. He can take a nice mark as well."

"He took big steps in his football this year, and improved a hell of a lot throughout the year."

Link ....

Meanwhile, fellow draftees Elliot Yeo and Patrick Wearden will wear #26 and #37 respectively.

6458978855_eb2e30fa87.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Video: meet Patrick Wearden

How different is being at an AFL club like the Lions?

Yeah, training most days here is pretty intense. Back at the Bushies you'd be training once or twice a week and you wouldn't really catch up with the group that much. It's been good to be around the boys here a lot. Just the intensity of training and the step up in how much you're doing is something to get used to.

What are you working on over the pre-season?

I've been working on my fitness, so that's been pretty intense, and my strength as well so I've been in the gym trying to put some weight on. That's a big priority for me.

How are you enjoying Brisbane so far?

It's a good city, pretty cruisy, bit smaller than Melbourne. But enjoying the change. The heat's a bit to get used to and I'm starting to get there now. It's been raining, and hot, a bit of everything. But I'm really enjoying it. Glad to be up here.

patrickwearden.jpg

First impressions
10:42 AM Fri 13 Jan, 2012

I’m starting to get used to it now and am loving it.

I still pinch myself to think that this is my job. I wake up in the morning and spend the day getting fit, doing weights and running around in nice weather.

But it was tough at the start. I’ve pretty much gone from doing one or two light training sessions per week (with the Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup side), to doing regular 3km time trials followed by 100m sprints!

It’s obviously a lot harder than anything I experienced before, but I’m really enjoying it.

6507705037_1439a79157.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Wearden’s happy homecoming
9:07 AM Mon 16 Jan, 2012

“It was really good,” Wearden said.

“I had all my brothers and sisters over from Perth, so I just hung out with them in Kyabram.”

Now a local hero, the 18 year-old said it hadn’t taken long for his family to switch allegiances and show their support for the Lions.

“My dad even got some Lions caps out at Christmas gave them out to everyone to wear,” he said.

“Everyone’s on board and they are really happy for me. They all love Vossy and are happy that I’m at the Lions.”

wearden13.jpg

AFL Prospectus 2012

Wearden played TAC Cup football with the Murray Bushrangers last year and his form improved so much as the season progressed he was given three VFL games as a top-up player with Collingwood late in the year, averaging nine disposals and booting two goals. He averaged the fifth most Champion Data ranking points of any Bushranger last season, ranking No. 1 for them in disposals and second for effective long kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Drummond

Comment From glen
How is Patrick Wearden going? A former student at the school I teach at.

He's going well, seems to have a really good attitude to training. Hopefully he can get some senior experience this yr!

NEAFL Round 3 vs UWS Giants

Of the Club’s crop of 2011 draftees, Clarke said Patrick Wearden and Billy Longer were particularly noticeable.

“Wearden has started to find a fair bit of the footy and played one of his better games since coming to the Club,” Clarke said.

“His strength is his versatility and he’s a good competitor. He can play in most positions and always stays in the contest.”

6971979943_8c6070e4e9.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

I haven't seen Wearden play yet.

Reading the reports, I've gathered he is versatile, but what type of player is he? Nice kick/finds the footy/good overhead??

Nathan Clarke

“Patrick Wearden is one who was close to being our best player in the first half.”

“Patrick got some good feedback from our mid-year review and the penny seems to have really dropped for him lately.”

“He has been knuckling down in the gym, and on the weekend showed greater confidence in his abilities. He went for his marks on a wet day, and a couple of them stuck.”

Hmmm... wonder what that means?

Sounds like a boost of confidence. Feels more at home perhaps.

It's good to finally hear about him. In comparison to our other draftees information was lacking. I'm not too sure it was a kick up the arse as such. It was noted when he was drafted that being a country boy he really didn't have the same access to programs that metro boys would have. They have obviously seen something in him for him to be drafted and i feel that he might not have been showing the progress that they he should have being in an elite program. Having Crisp and Yeo play games would also have been that extra motivation that he would have needed. Looking at his physiological make-up putting muscle on would be a necessity however might also have not been as easy as the other draftees. Hopefully with the extra motivation that he has shown he can take this into the pre-season and build on this and get a game with the big boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back