Analysis Patty K - over his injury woes and due for a big year?

Remove this Banner Ad

[***mod edit: new thread started with PK posts moved across from 'Intraclub' and 'training' threads***]

Anyone else think PK might be used on the Wing and Half Forward?

Last edited by a moderator:

No reason he couldn't if he builds the fitness. Defensive pressure not one of his strengths so that might also limit his opportunities further up the ground. He's a smart footballer though, good mark, and creative. Played some of his best VFL there in 2014 as well.

Personally BEEG that's the general vicinity of where he should play and rest as 3rd forward
The guy knows how to get the pill - there's some talk his tank still needs a bit of work but I think that's where he could hurt teams as well slide forward to grab a goal or two as he can take a good mark and knows how to put them bw the sticks

So going off the stats it looks as though Karnezis played pretty well but most people have stated that he struggled to get into the game. For those that didn't rate Karnezis' game, do the stats sway your opinions at all or do you reckon they flatter him a little?
From what i heard about Karnezis i wasnt overly impressed. i heard he was lazy etc. But the stats say a different story and i think we just have to accept hes pretty laconic but has somethin in him that could be a bit of stevie j/dids type. He will probably never be as good as them but definitely worth a crack at senoir footy at some stage this season

From what i heard about Karnezis i wasnt overly impressed. i heard he was lazy etc. But the stats say a different story and i think we just have to accept hes pretty laconic but has somethin in him that could be a bit of stevie j/dids type. He will probably never be as good as them but definitely worth a crack at senoir footy at some stage this season

Well his Finishing Skills in front of goal is something we need

If he only gets 6-7 kicks a game he is the sort of guy who is likely to kick 3 or 4 goals. Exactly what we need

He kicked a few bags of 4+ Goals in the VFL and his Highest number was 6 Goals

He looked really good up forward last year when I went to some live games, and he was in it up to his eyeballs when he played through the midfield late last year during a televised game.

I think a lot of people may have confused his lack of fitness (due to no preseason and a late start to the season because of OP) with laziness. I hope he is able to have an impact this year, he certainly has the talent.

DSC_2753.jpg
8041.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Karnezis has looked good. But I can never look past the fact he wasn't able to get into a s**t Brisbane side until he shows me otherwise, he's just a flash in the pan. Regardless of the relationship you have with a coach, if your playing good enough footy you get a game. Maybe he's just not up to AFL standard when the intensity lifts (a bit like kyle martin) but is well and truly good enough for VFL footy.

I hope I'm proving wrong, I really do, as I was one of those people in 2012 who thought "wow this kid can play" when I saw him in the pre season cup.

Karnezis has looked good. But I can never look past the fact he wasn't able to get into a s**t Brisbane side until he shows me otherwise, he's just a flash in the pan. Regardless of the relationship you have with a coach, if your playing good enough footy you get a game. Maybe he's just not up to AFL standard when the intensity lifts (a bit like kyle martin) but is well and truly good enough for VFL footy.

I hope I'm proving wrong, I really do, as I was one of those people in 2012 who thought "wow this kid can play" when I saw him in the pre season cup.
Take in to account he essentially walked in to the VFL side last year after no preseason and started kicking bags of goals nearly every week. His fitness was awful, he wasn't even running until very late preseason and he missed the first couple of rounds of VFL too.

Regardless of VFL being a step down from AFL, to be able to do what he did after such lousy preparation for the season requires serious talent. If it weren't for his subsequent hamstring issues, I'm certain he would have been called up for seniors last year.

I think PK will be one of the players that surprises everyone this year.

I'm still agnostic on Karnezis I have to say. Saw him at Kramer Street V Northern Blues when others seemed to be glowing about his game. To me he got into good spots and he knows how to find space but I wasn't super impressed with his general efforts. Dawes when he was earning his keep in the VFL kicked bigger bags and his effort was always strong to me.

Happy to see him in the team if he lifts his general intensity through games.

So going off the stats it looks as though Karnezis played pretty well but most people have stated that he struggled to get into the game. For those that didn't rate Karnezis' game, do the stats sway your opinions at all or do you reckon they flatter him a little?

Did qualify my comments by saying it wasn't a great venue to watch footy, looking in to the setting sun, gloomy until the lights became fully effective. I am surprised that he racked up that many possessions though.

He looked really good up forward last year when I went to some live games, and he was in it up to his eyeballs when he played through the midfield late last year during a televised game.

I think a lot of people may have confused his lack of fitness (due to no preseason and a late start to the season because of OP) with laziness. I hope he is able to have an impact this year, he certainly has the talent.
He has/had a reputation as a somewhat lazy footballer right from the get go. Even when drafted his dedication was questionable and the Lions were willing to let him go because of it.

Everybody has something that drives them, some motivation, I just hope the Pies have found what drives PK as he has always shown the talent just not the application.

You are right in that he was hampered with a poor off season and then injuries last season. His return in the VFL showed us that there is enough there to persist and I really look forward to seeing him deliver.

He has/had a reputation as a somewhat lazy footballer right from the get go. Even when drafted his dedication was questionable and the Lions were willing to let him go because of it.

Everybody has something that drives them, some motivation, I just hope the Pies have found what drives PK as he has always shown the talent just not the application.

You are right in that he was hampered with a poor off season and then injuries last season. His return in the VFL showed us that there is enough there to persist and I really look forward to seeing him deliver.
I'm a firm believer his heart wasn't in it at the lions.

Greek boy missing his family etc. I reckon he made it known to Voss that he wanted out early in the piece and Voss decided the Lions would be better off putting their efforts in to developing someone else.

Pure speculation, but just what I think.

You'd think a combo of a second chance and being at your beloved childhood club would be enough motivation to apply that forward pressure and do the hard stuff.

If not, he just doesn't have it in him.

Fingers crossed he does.

That's what I was thinking.
A number of things would keep him motivated here.

Greeks are huge on family, doesn't need to worry about that anymore.
Was a massive Pies fan, now plays for them.
And lets be honest...If I played for the Lion I'd find it pretty hard to get motivated as well! Bunch of campaigners up there!

If he can show anything like his VFL form last year, I'll back him in to make an impact this year.

PKhas it in front of him and at this time isn't best 22 for me. Elliott and Fasolo should hold down spots on the forward line ahead of him. He needs some big performances in the preseason or early VFL games to stake a claim. Watching him in the VFL last year he has good offensive qualities but lacks defensively. Problem is with that combination is you have to be super good offensively to make that work. Think Dids.

Interesting year for PK. 5th season on a list and no AFL games for nearly 2 seasons now. You don't last with those numbers. This is a crunch season. Either he pushes into the AFL team this year or he will be off the list in 2016.

I've watched a lot of Patty since he came to us and his problem seems to be his work rate. If he's left deep inside forward 50 he goes missing for large periods, but once moved up the ground his work rate seems to improve and he gets plenty of the ball. He had 14 possessions in one quarter in a vfl game last year (vs Geelong), so he has the ability, he just needs to be pushed to his limit.

At the moment he's not in our best 22 but he has best 22 talent and potential.

Last post is 100% correct if he is fit all season he needs to playing in the "one.s" that is where his level of ability say,s he should be.

He is a style of player who could 40 or 50 a season,he has the same sort of laconic style as Fasolo both are big on talent but neither work as hard as Elliott who is also a massive talent but works hard into the bargain.

If neither Fas or PK perform this season they will both be under pressure from Broomhead and De Gooy who may well end as the best of all four because he does not seem like he has a laconic streak and much like Elliott does all the right things preparation wise.

It is up to Karnezis whether or not he makes it,talent wise he should be 1 of the first picked as anyone who seen him play would attest,good size and kick,s straight what is not to like about him.

PS last 2 posts spot on about PK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back