Rumour Paul Roos in for long haul

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi,

wasnt sure where to put this but i have it on good authority that paul roos seems to be staying at melbourne for longer than 2 years and he has rediscovered his passion for it.. the players absolutley love him.

Hi,

wasnt sure where to put this but i have it on good authority that paul roos seems to be staying at melbourne for longer than 2 years and he has rediscovered his passion for it.. the players absolutley love him.

I don't know if that decision is entirely up to Roos. ;)
But if he feels that way then that's terrific. Can only mean good things for Melbourne FC.

Well we will see in 2 years, if results on field are positive then you will want to stay longer and reap the rewards of the hard work you have done.

I think he just likes working with people and getting the best out of a group. Looks happy as a pig and s**t when he's around the club, players seem to love him.

Even the way he handled the Sylvia departure was pure class.

Melbourne are TEAM AFL at the moment too, Jackson has the full support of Vlad so Roos is unlikely to be seeing much instability at administration level - cause nobody *s with Vlad.

Heard that one of the reasons we didn't sign an heir apparent to Roos was to try and push him to stay for at least three years. I reckon we're still gunning for Ling or Simon Black to takeover form Roos after three years.

Paul Roos has never lacked in confidence and usually that confidence is justified. That confidence is probably rubbing off on the Melbourne players somewhat as for the first time in years they feel like they have a coach that really knows what he is doing.

Plus Paul Roos is very big on making sure players know their roles which would be very helpful for the players of Melbourne as many of them did not seem to understand the game plan last year.

Paul Roos has never lacked in confidence and usually that confidence is justified. That confidence is probably rubbing off on the Melbourne players somewhat as for the first time in years they feel like they have a coach that really knows what he is doing.

Plus Paul Roos is very big on making sure players know their roles which would be very helpful for the players of Melbourne as many of them did not seem to understand the game plan last year.

Poor Watts never had a position last year. Once Neeld was gone he started to look decent again.

I think Roos is just a confident guy, but he also trusts his people because ultimately he selected them for the job, and if he doesn't think they can act autonomously, it reflects badly on him for choosing the wrong people. And he doesn't sweat the small stuff or need to prove his dick size to other people.

When Sylvia ultimately decided to leave Roos didn't sulk, he thanked him for his service and said after Colin told him of the decision that he agrees it is probably the best move for Colin as much as the Demons wanted to keep him. That kind of stuff makes a difference to the guys still at the club.

Neeld just didn't get people. Roos' primary strength seems to be people management.

And from a gameplan point of view, I read a good article with an NBA coach the other day: You might have a really good gameplan that works with one group of players and you can try and transplant that to a different team. But a great coach looks at the players he has and comes up with a gameplan that suits the skills and ability of those players. Neeld really couldn't figure that part out, but I have confidence Roos will. If the Demons have a strength, it's their talls and their ability in the air. We are not a good contested footy team, but we have a potent attack.

How you create a gameplan around that I'm not sure, but I'm no coach. What I'm sure of is that trying to turn us into Sydney 2.0 won't really work, just as trying to turn us into Collingwood 2.0 didn't work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi,

When you are getting paid $1.5-2.0 million per annum on the basis of no guaranteed return for the club, I reckon you'd rediscover some passion and want to stay longer.

This coaching appointment is everyone's dream job, huge pay packet with no responsibility !!

When you are getting paid $1.5-2.0 million per annum on the basis of no guaranteed return for the club, I reckon you'd rediscover some passion and want to stay longer.

This coaching appointment is everyone's dream job, huge pay packet with no responsibility !!

There's plenty of responsibility, the AFL have invested a lot of money in making us competitive.

And from a gameplan point of view, I read a good article with an NBA coach the other day: You might have a really good gameplan that works with one group of players and you can try and transplant that to a different team. But a great coach looks at the players he has and comes up with a gameplan that suits the skills and ability of those players.

This is where Pagan failed at Carlton. Couldn't adapt his gameplan to the Blues players and so he shuffled a lot of them off ... problem was the club was hit by drafting penalties and he had nothing to replace them other than discards from other clubs, which set the Blues up for years of pain.

Malthouse has gone through a similar experience with Carlton, initially bringing what worked with the Pies group before figuring out that he needed a gameplan to suit the players he has at the Blues.

He will be coach most likely for 3 years now. I believe they had a short list of a few candidates that included Ling and Dew. While Dew ruled himself out after a bit of interest Ling gave it some thought and then decided to give it a year and come back to him pretty much.

While Roos might only be head coach for 2-3 years I believe he is fairly keen on staying on at a football club in some capacity. Like he was at the Swans.

But a great coach looks at the players he has and comes up with a gameplan that suits the skills and ability of those players. Neeld really couldn't figure that part out, but I have confidence Roos will. If the Demons have a strength, it's their talls and their ability in the air. We are not a good contested footy team, but we have a potent attack.

How you create a gameplan around that I'm not sure, but I'm no coach. What I'm sure of is that trying to turn us into Sydney 2.0 won't really work, just as trying to turn us into Collingwood 2.0 didn't work.

Roos' strongest point as a coach is adapting to what he has at his disposal in building his plan, utilising the strengths and finding ways to dam the weaknesses. Sydney 2005 being the obvious example. Lack of speed throughout the midfield, but decent disposal and a strong leading forward line. Choke the midfield up to negate opposition speed and move forward using small passes till a forward lead opened up. Towards the end of his career as he brought more offensive players into the club, he changed the Sydney plan to suit. I'm not sure who he kept from the old staff in coaching but no doubt he'll have mined them pretty thoroughly for strengths and weaknesses and building from there.

He will be coach most likely for 3 years now. I believe they had a short list of a few candidates that included Ling and Dew. While Dew ruled himself out after a bit of interest Ling gave it some thought and then decided to give it a year and come back to him pretty much.

While Roos might only be head coach for 2-3 years I believe he is fairly keen on staying on at a football club in some capacity. Like he was at the Swans.

At which point he took a job with North.

I'm very interested to see how he goes when he's coaching a club that plays by the same rules as most others with regards to the salary cap.

Do love that the vast majority of the likes on this one are Hawks supporters. I honestly thought after winning the cup this year you got the chip off your shoulder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back