Paul Roos - not the messiah

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne is significantly more competitive this year than any year since 2000. That can't be over stated and Roos has inspired a lot of confidence. Goodwin will inherit something he can really work with. I was not super hopeful of the appointment but I thin Roos was worth it.

Deserves to cop heat today. I've been a pretty staunch defender of him but he simply isn't coaching this group properly.

Lets look at the big picture. He comes to Melb in the 2013 offseason, obviously morale is really low so he employs a fairly defensive gameplan in 2014 to minimize beltings and slowly build confidence. We drastically reduce our average losing margin and increase our % by a bit over 10% (And double the win tally). After a smash and grab job against Essendon we are 4-8 and whilst this is pretty crap for most teams, this is far, far better than the Melbourne under Neeld. Just as we're thinking that, we lose 9 straight to finish 2014 and our stats drop dramatically (First half of the year we were top 8 for contested ball, we drop to 18th and also continue our garbage inside 50 counts).

2015 starts, we have what looks like a great win in round 1 vs the GC. Not only do we win in round 1 for the first time since 2005, but we score well over 100 points for the first time since 2013. Our form fluctuates a bit during the first half of the year but we have good wins against decent sides like the Tigers and Bulldogs, and have a huge win against Geelong.

This whole time our inside 50 counts fail to improve, as does our scoring (Despite scoring over 100 three times this year). I'd also wager our losing margin feels like it is higher this year than last year (Don't have the stat to confirm it for me). Our inside 50 count is still the worst, our tackle average is high but often we get out-tackled we just turn games into slogs so it is a bit deceiving.

Roos trying the defensive crap this year is not working whatsoever. I understood it in the first year, but now it is an outdated style of play that is hurting us more than it is helping. I'd much rather us take the game on and kick 12-14 goals every week and risk conceding 20+, instead we turn games into stoppage fests. Bit strange but it seems nearly 2 years on it still hasn't clicked that we aren't the Sydney team Roos has and I don't think it suits us playing this way. That Sydney team was the best tackling and clearance outfit (We are 14th for clearances this year) in the competition and had better footskills than people realized (They were very good at hitting targets inside 50, as for us LOL).

It is ******* frustrating watching how we played against the GC and Geelong (Took the game on) then we serve up that s**t today (No offence Saints, you're on the right track but you're not exactly leagues ahead of us and we shouldn't be playing like that). People say our list still sucks, but we should at least be learning the right way to play instead of this s**t.

:drunk:

I saw a marked difference in the way Paul Roos and Nathan Buckley dealt with some pointy questions on AFL360 tonight.
Buckley spoke genuinely, used examples about his family and made "I" and "we" statements that were believable.
Roos spoke about himself in the second person, a bit like a politician trying to duck and weave and avoid the question, none of which was believable.

Most importantly.

Mark Robinson asked Roos if he still wanted to coach Melbourne the way he talked when first appointed. Roos choose to remark that he hadn't seen the question coming, before dodging it entirely, giving up an opportunity to convince the football public that he is anything other than in it for the money.

He failed to do so.

I guess actions speak a hell of a lot better than words.

Hardly worthy of bumping this thread considering you beat a team in dissaray.
Collingwood haven't really been in disarray.

Lost to 1st place Fremantle at Subiaco by 7 points, brought it right up to them.
Lost to premiership favourites by 10 points, brought it right up to them.
Lost by 3 points to Port at Adelaide oval, probably their worst loss but when Port are on they are good.
Lost to 2nd place and running hot West Coast by 31
lost to 6th place and finals bound Bulldogs by 18

Played some tough teams lately and were really in all the games bar the West Coast one.

Then come up against the bottom 4 Demons who give them there 2nd biggest loss of the season.

Melbourne is significantly more competitive this year than any year since 2000. That can't be over stated and Roos has inspired a lot of confidence. Goodwin will inherit something he can really work with. I was not super hopeful of the appointment but I thin Roos was worth it.

02, 04, 05, 06

Another 2 game improvement year (min) and first season with 6 wins+ since 2011. If they can string 2 more wins together (Carlton, Giants for example) would give them 8 wins. Tied most amount in previous 9 years...

Sorry if you think Paul Roos is doing a poor job/underachieving- you know nothing about football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love this thread. Bumped by non Melbourne supporters when we get flogged. Bumped by Melbourne supporters when we win.

Roos - if nothing else - has always been excellent at collaborating with his colleagues. Ross Lyon and Longmire, have you heard of those guys? He has a fixed end date. He has a fixed development and recruiting plan. He's already changed the style of footy last year from possession based to more free flowing. But he preaches a priority of not wasting the footy and being defensively sound. In our 6 wins we've played some very good football in every game besides the 2nd half against Brisbane when we had no idea what to do with a 6 goal half time lead and went way in to our shell.

Goodwin continues to be given more and more responsibility at training and McCartney is very hands on in development. Trust me in saying they aren't pracising Sydney 05 training. Not at all.

Before Roos took over we were really bad, we were below AFL level. Every part of the club was dysfunctional, from the coaching and recruiting staff to the CEO. We were being ruined by massive egos who, in reality, had nfi how a club should be run. Mark Neeld failed as a coach, but I can't think of another coach who had worse support than what he was given. (Mind you, he made some spectacularly bad decisions)

Paul Roos and Peter Jackson have literally rebuilt this club again from scratch. Sure we've only won 6 games this season, but compared to the dysfunctional rabble that we were when they took over it's been an amazing transformation. Hell, it was an awesome effort to just get us to being AFL level. And for us to sit just above the bottom 4 is an achievement for us, sad but true. The term Culture is thrown around a lot on BF, but in our case we really did have to develop a positive culture.

Far too many excuses being made for and by Roos, for my liking, and I'm not sure how much more Dees fans will take.
How many Dee's fans turn up to any given game?

With those kind of numbers I don't think they have any say in what goes on at the club, Melbourne only exists by the grace of the afl through money and draft picks and the fans are just passengers on the ride so Roo's doesn't get any pressure because the afl doesn't wish it.

With those kind of numbers I don't think they have any say in what goes on at the club, Melbourne only exists by the grace of the afl through money and draft picks and the fans are just passengers on the ride so Roo's doesn't get any pressure because the afl doesn't wish it.

Funny coming from a Port fan, not that long ago your club put sponsors ads on whole sections of the stadium because no one would turn up to a home game.

How quickly the kids forget

And Hawthorn. Don't forget Hawthorn.

Also, the AFL only exists because of the grace of the Melbourne Football Club. Actually the cricket club. But whatever.

Funny coming from a Port fan, not that long ago your club put sponsors ads on whole sections of the stadium because no one would turn up to a home game.

How quickly the kids forget
The difference being if the club didn't do something about it's own situation then it would've been goodbye, other than a few mil from the Sanfl the rest has been down to the club.

And Hawthorn. Don't forget Hawthorn.

Also, the AFL only exists because of the grace of the Melbourne Football Club. Actually the cricket club. But whatever.
I was only putting my take on why there's no pressure on Roo's not questioning Melbourne's validity in the afl. I agree the afl only exists because of all the clubs and it owes all the clubs to remain healthy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back