Paul Roos should shut up about Melbourne...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I think people are misinterpretting what he said about Miller. I agree with him, in that we needed to keep a big bodied forward there. And I think that is what he meant. For all intents and purposes it could have been Richo he was talking about, but he meant someone to protect the bodies of the young guys. Wasn;t talking about his talent, but his size.

2. I wouldn't say Jones is the most under rated in the competition, but he is under rated by our supporters, especially a collective of them on here. Yes he is frustrating at times, but his disposal has vastly improved, and he has been doing a fair bit of inside mid work. He has basically been swapping with Moloney through the guts. Someone to do the bullocking. I fear he may suffer what I call "Bartram Disease" on this board, meaning after 1 bad season (being played out of position for mine anyways) he could turn into Dane Swan, and people on here still wouldn't give him any recognition.

3. Jurrah is over rated. Not Jurrah's fault, but he is. He is a flashy player who comes in and out of games, but still manages to consistently kick a couple of goals a game. Not dissimilar to Buddy Franklin early on. If he gets his head inthe game for 120 minutes, then he wont be over rated anymore.

4. I don't think our gameplan is out of date, but it is different. He says we play very different to everyone else. Well, so did Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn, and Collingwood, and guess what - they all won premierships. Someone has to be the innovater. It might be taking a little longer than we all hoped, but people are forgetting just how young our list is!

How can you tell our game plan is different. I don't see any game plan at the moment.

How can you tell our game plan is different. I don't see any game plan at the moment.

Maybe thats why it will be a winning plan in time, how can you plan against a plan that no one knows what it is? :p

Seriously though, I think he has a plan & we have seen at times when we are on our game that teams find it very hard to stop our momentum or stop the transition of the ball. From my observations we go a little deep at times which blocks quick transition of the ball or our ability to have a lead up player. Our forward pressure has been lacking at times this year.

I'm not making any calls on Bailey until much later in the year. The fact that we haven't found form & yet we have two wins & a draw bodes well for when we hit some solid form.

Maybe thats why it will be a winning plan in time, how can you plan against a plan that no one knows what it is? :p

Seriously though, I think he has a plan & we have seen at times when we are on our game that teams find it very hard to stop our momentum or stop the transition of the ball. From my observations we go a little deep at times which blocks quick transition of the ball or our ability to have a lead up player. Our forward pressure has been lacking at times this year.

I'm not making any calls on Bailey until much later in the year. The fact that we haven't found form & yet we have two wins & a draw bodes well for when we hit some solid form.

Average form for 2 wins & a draw yes, but against the 2 decent teams we've achieved 2pts. I'm not throwing the rope over the bar yet, but I don't think that it'll be the end of the season before I make my mind up about Bailey next year.

Our next 7 games are WC away, Adel @ the 'G, NM @ ES, St.K @ ES, Carl @ the 'G, Ess @ the 'G & the Coll on QB. That brings us up to round 12, 11 games played & half the season over. Prior to the start of the season I would've had us being a very strong chance in all games except St.K & Coll, St.K have now lost form & we usually lift to play the Pies. None of those are gimme games like I had our 2 current wins marked down for, but they're all winnable & St.K is one that I'm not so sure we'll lose any more. Following that we get to see how we measure up against the benchmark team

After 12 rounds, 11 games I think we'll have a pretty good idea of where Bails & our season is at. If it's 7&1/2 wins or better, then where on track for finals & great, if it's 4&1/2 or less, Bails is in trouble. In between is a bit meh (6&1/2 pretty good, 5&1/2 is half pts but that's not good enough with our soft draw) & we have a tougher end to the year

How is Jurrah overrated when he is 2nd in the Coleman despite playing up the gound a fair bit and getting the opposition best backman every week despite being only 21 games into his career?

He is a star, end of story.

On point 4, the gameplan;

Well aware of the gameplan or lack of. Thats why i started a thread on it. I feel if he can improve on those points, Melbourne would be a lot better and a lot more consistent.

We play fun footy now! Roos' Sydney were tight defensive, slow movers of the ball, low scoring.

Fun Footy??
Roos' gameplan might have been tight defensively, but the objective of footy is to try and stop the opposition team scoring more points than yours, it hasn't changed. A good defense can be as effective as a good offense.
Melbourne currently are very slow movers of the ball, this is especially evident on kickouts.

People will continue to say its Bailey's fault while the guys are losing the ball in the middle of the ground!
Bailey is the coach. He has the options of making changes during a game, creating structures/gameplans and choosing what players take the field every week. If players aren't performing he is the one that makes the decisions. The buck stops with him.

Surprised to see some demon fans calling Jurrah overrated. Pretty banal analysis. Perhaps some people are unable to distinguish between him as a player and his profile in the AFL. Saying he has a high profile is not the same as his rating as a player and it is important to distinguish or not conflate the two.

Which is a shame as Melbourne should be proud of both. Lucky the club ensures he feels appropriately supported and valued if some of you fans don't! Be more than happy to have him at Geelong :D

1. Player : He has only played 20 games. l believe he is only the 25th player in 150 years of history to kick 50 goals in their first 20 games. Only the 5th player in the last 25 years to do this. He did this from a pre-season pick with perhaps minimal expectation that he would ever even play a single game. and its not like he gets silver service from an established premiership side like Tommy Hawkins has! He has repaid that pick ten times over already.....Moreover whilst has played tons of footy out here in the desert, he has never had professional training or preparation like other kids from age 13 in talent squads and established programs. You guys are tough markers.

2. Player/Profile : His playing style, his excitement are a cross over of these two factors. If you dont get up and burst with excitement when he takes a screamer or kicks a goal, fair play to ya! Tough markers again. He brings people through the gates, the kids put his number on their back. Through his style he has had genuine impact on Melbournes profile as a club, including aspects such as sponsorship and positive media.

3. Profile : This is not part of his rating as a player. But it is part of his genuine value to the Australian community. His story is extraordinary, out of the desert, a traditional community, overcoming innumerable odds - a road no one has ever walked before. Many people respond well to this incredibly inspiring journey, it is part of his character as a person and as a footballer. Very few have come from as far - Melbourne is well placed to understand it with Jimmy and indeed Aaron and the boys. He is an incredible inspiration to young kds out here in the desert - beyond description that value. He wasn't named Young Territorian of the Year last year just for his football but also his inspiring courage to walk a new road and his work in mentoring at-risk young kids.

1. Player : He has only played 20 games. l believe he is only the 25th player in 150 years of history to kick 50 goals in their first 20 games. Only the 5th player in the last 25 years to do this. .

Enough said.

The guy is a star, and im sick of ********s on the internet who know nothing abut footy but giving their pathetic opinion anyway.

Melbourne was so lowly during Roosy's tenure as coach that maybe he didn't need to pay that much attention. But please, Bails, or anyone having to defend against this tripe from Roosy, 'On the Couch', is wasting their breath!

1) He reckons Brad Miller is the key to our forward line and that it was a major error delisting him.
I was happy to consider Roosy as our next coach until I read this. Miller is the greatest burden the club has ever had, I cried tears of joy when he got delisted.

Surprised to see some demon fans calling Jurrah overrated. Pretty banal analysis. Perhaps some people are unable to distinguish between him as a player and his profile in the AFL. Saying he has a high profile is not the same as his rating as a player and it is important to distinguish or not conflate the two.

Which is a shame as Melbourne should be proud of both. Lucky the club ensures he feels appropriately supported and valued if some of you fans don't! Be more than happy to have him at Geelong :D

1. Player : He has only played 20 games. l believe he is only the 25th player in 150 years of history to kick 50 goals in their first 20 games. Only the 5th player in the last 25 years to do this. He did this from a pre-season pick with perhaps minimal expectation that he would ever even play a single game. and its not like he gets silver service from an established premiership side like Tommy Hawkins has! He has repaid that pick ten times over already.....Moreover whilst has played tons of footy out here in the desert, he has never had professional training or preparation like other kids from age 13 in talent squads and established programs. You guys are tough markers.

2. Player/Profile : His playing style, his excitement are a cross over of these two factors. If you dont get up and burst with excitement when he takes a screamer or kicks a goal, fair play to ya! Tough markers again. He brings people through the gates, the kids put his number on their back. Through his style he has had genuine impact on Melbournes profile as a club, including aspects such as sponsorship and positive media.

3. Profile : This is not part of his rating as a player. But it is part of his genuine value to the Australian community. His story is extraordinary, out of the desert, a traditional community, overcoming innumerable odds - a road no one has ever walked before. Many people respond well to this incredibly inspiring journey, it is part of his character as a person and as a footballer. Very few have come from as far - Melbourne is well placed to understand it with Jimmy and indeed Aaron and the boys. He is an incredible inspiration to young kds out here in the desert - beyond description that value. He wasn't named Young Territorian of the Year last year just for his football but also his inspiring courage to walk a new road and his work in mentoring at-risk young kids.

Completely agree with all of this! Great post.

I was happy to consider Roosy as our next coach until I read this. Miller is the greatest burden the club has ever had, I cried tears of joy when he got delisted.

Even if Roos is guilty of not taking enough of an interest in MFC to make an informed judgement, do you have any doubt that if he were actually the coach, he would assess what he had around him in detail and would build a very formidable team? I have no doubt he would. He's a smart man, even if he is ignorant of MFC at present. I wouldn't use what he says on a lightweight footy program as a reflection of his footy nous. He is a premiership coach, for God's sake! When was the last time we had one of those at the helm? I don't take any of what he said personally - it's no big deal, no reason to get really angry.

Even if Roos is guilty of not taking enough of an interest in MFC to make an informed judgement, do you have any doubt that if he were actually the coach, he would assess what he had around him in detail and would build a very formidable team? I have no doubt he would. He's a smart man, even if he is ignorant of MFC at present. I wouldn't use what he says on a lightweight footy program as a reflection of his footy nous. He is a premiership coach, for God's sake! When was the last time we had one of those at the helm? I don't take any of what he said personally - it's no big deal, no reason to get really angry.

Truth in this idea. I remember when Bailey arrived he was talking about Daniel Bell as being one to watch and put Brad Miller in the leadership group. Two strapping lads who would have looked brilliant on the track!

Roos just doesn't know at this stage, if he were coach (though I don't want him to be) he would get a sense very quickly of how wrong his current ideas are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know what you're saying, and I'm only going to disagree with you not because I personally think so but from a historical perspective Jones' has always appeared to be quite safe.

case in point, I found this interesting stat on melbournefc.com.au:
"The 22-year-old has missed just four games since his first match" which was in 2006.

For one reason or another Bailey really likes Jones and has a lot of patience with him, whether that will change this year I don't know. Also his appointment in the leadership group tends to confirm the idea that Bailey thinks he's integral to our 22.

Jones is on borrowed time until the classier youth get bigger bodies.

Have you forgotten that Jones was dropped near the end of last year only to get a reprieve with a late omission ?

Thank you very much for this, genuinely great post! The man isn't overrated at all.

I've seen the 7.30 report story on him, but is there any other good media out there on Judah in and out of footy? Articles or videos appreciated.

Thanks

wowee. some Jones bashing going on in this thread. No pleasing some people though I guess

No, C graders don't "please" me I'm afraid. I want a flag and I won't get one with the likes of Jones turning it over through the midfield.

It appears that you're easily pleased.

It appears you are also easily pleased Hannibal, without even knowing it -

Disposal efficiency so far this year:
1st - Jared Rivers - 85.45%
7th - Nathan Jones - 76.92%
11th - Clint Bartram - 73.08%
13th - Jack Grimes - 72.09%
14th - Jordan Gysberts - 72.09% (future gun isn't he according to this board??)
22nd - Colin Sylvia - 65.62%
23rd - Jack Trengove - 64.56%
24th - Brad Green - 61.90%
25th - Nev Jetta - 57.89%
26th - Addam Maric - 31.58%

Seems to me we need Jonesy's great ball use with turnover merchants like Sylvia and Trengove running through the middle ;)

Now I know stats aren't everything, but take the hate glasses off mate - Jonesy has been pretty damn good this year after rd 1.

Some people on this board form an opinion, and just seem to never be able to let it go. If he drops his form then he should be dropped, just like everyone else, but at the moment, behind Moloney he would be one of our better performed mids, especially after rd1.

It appears you are also easily pleased Hannibal, without even knowing it -

Disposal efficiency so far this year:
1st - Jared Rivers - 85.45%
7th - Nathan Jones - 76.92%
11th - Clint Bartram - 73.08%
13th - Jack Grimes - 72.09%
14th - Jordan Gysberts - 72.09% (future gun isn't he according to this board??)
22nd - Colin Sylvia - 65.62%
23rd - Jack Trengove - 64.56%
24th - Brad Green - 61.90%
25th - Nev Jetta - 57.89%
26th - Addam Maric - 31.58%

Seems to me we need Jonesy's great ball use with turnover merchants like Sylvia and Trengove running through the middle ;)

Now I know stats aren't everything, but take the hate glasses off mate - Jonesy has been pretty damn good this year after rd 1.

Some people on this board form an opinion, and just seem to never be able to let it go. If he drops his form then he should be dropped, just like everyone else, but at the moment, behind Moloney he would be one of our better performed mids, especially after rd1.

DE is one of the more meaningless stats imo. I prefer to use my eyes. Jones has no creativity and average decision making.

Just a plodder.

Jones is never going to be a star, but there are plenty worse players who have played in premiership. Roos was ridiculously wrong on points 1, 2, and 3 but if he spent any time at the club i'm sure he would realise he is wrong

jones hit a couple of very crisp passes against the suns i thought, i remember because it was out of character in my opinion, tbh i don't see him in our 'contending line up' with blease/strauss coming through and scully and mckensie to join our current 21 + 1

but that could change, stranger things have happened

should worry about what his son has to say

2 weeks ago he comes out on 'on the couch' and says that his son said jurrah is the most overrated player in the competition, then jurrah comes out against brisbane and f**** s*** up, stick that one up ya roos ya flog

Come stand with me at the footy next time it's at the 'G and we'll analyse his game together.

I do that with you. Would be happy to sit net to another supporter that understands the meaning of winning. :thumbsu:

Thank you very much for this, genuinely great post! The man isn't overrated at all.

I've seen the 7.30 report story on him, but is there any other good media out there on Judah in and out of footy? Articles or videos appreciated.

Thanks

Lots of good articles by Martin Flanagan.

That 7.30 Report is a good video. The Rising Star Nomination video is a good one too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU2kCVjHCbk

And if you go here and click on the "Mt Theo excerpt" you can see a younger Liam out bush. He has the red sleeves on his black shirt and can be seen briefly playing (shirt off) at about 1.51. It is a really interesting doco, essentially on the social meaning and importance of football out in the desert. Recommend a view if interested in Liams background or desert footy http://www.aboriginalrules.com/viewing.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back