Toast Pav on Harvey Sacking

Remove this Banner Ad

Grabbed the book today.Marked down from $32 to $27 at Dymocks.Interesting that his mum and dad both told Freo at their interviews not to draft him.Did not want him to go to Freo.Thought the club was not AFL standard and the players were more interested in Surfing than football.
Well.. they had a point at the time. The club's come a long way since Pav got drafted

did he say anything about Peter "White ant" Bell's role in that?

apparantly at one point Bell and Connolly were so at odds they refused to be in the same room.
That's got to be absolute BS. Cuddles raves about Bell in such a positive manner any chance he gets. Especially rated him when putting the "ultimate derby team" together with Hutchy and Watters on Footy WA. Not just footy ability, person he is, leadership etc. If it was even close to being true, I doubt he'd be talking him up so much.

Well.. they had a point at the time. The club's come a long way since Pav got drafted
Dunno about that. There's still the perception that this is a laughing stock of a club – why else do Victorians, key forwards on potentially $1.5 mil a year, and Hayden Crozier's mum cringe so much at the idea of playing for Freo?

They wrong and it's an insult.
The club was never that bad. We tried the best we could with zero concessions.
Oh for sure we did well considering how we started... but with how massive a talent he is, and how the club was going in comparison to others at the time, you can see why his parents didn't want him at Freo. Just a good thing that they were wrong!

Just like if I were the best kid in the draft this year I wouldn't want to be going to Carlton.

Grabbed the book today.Marked down from $32 to $27 at Dymocks.Interesting that his mum and dad both told Freo at their interviews not to draft him.Did not want him to go to Freo.Thought the club was not AFL standard and the players were more interested in Surfing than football.

I wonder if Pav will start telling people, " I wrote a book, but it at Dymocks"

Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno about that. There's still the perception that this is a laughing stock of a club – why else do Victorians, key forwards on potentially $1.5 mil a year, and Hayden Crozier's mum cringe so much at the idea of playing for Freo?
Moving the length of this massive country and then a plane flight back and forth every fortnight for the whole season.

did he say anything about Peter "White ant" Bell's role in that?

apparantly at one point Bell and Connolly were so at odds they refused to be in the same room.

Don't want to take this off topic, but I'm wondering where you got that from. I've heard it before, probably from you I can't remember, and it doesn't quite add up. I'm not particularly close to him, but I do distantly know Peter and though he had some slightly disparaging things to say about some things, he never said a bad word about CC, even when things weren't going well. Not saying it's not true, but it does seem out of character and not what I heard from my side of the fence anyway.

On Pav's book, must admit I'd like for him to have held off a bit before doing it. Just let the dust settle a bit more before talking about these things - I know bang for buck the publishers would like to put it out as early as possible while he is still playing or just about to finish his career, but it's never a good look for mine when a sports star starts hocking his wears before or as soon as he's done even though financially it's the smart thing. I'll still go and get my hands on a copy though.

I'll have to buy the book now to see if Pav actually takes any responsibility on himself for his inability to lead the team to success.

It's interesting that 2010 was also the last year we put up a decent performance against Hawthorn.

I'll have to buy the book now to see if Pav actually takes any responsibility on himself for his inability to lead the team to success.

It's interesting that 2010 was also the last year we put up a decent performance against Hawthorn.

Odd statement.

Fremantle put up a decent performance against Hawthorn in 2014. Never let the truth get in the way of an agenda.

We weren't exactly reknown for being professional.

There were plenty of stories about players making an appearance at the Zanzibar hours after playing a game.
I remember being quite surprised at seeing a couple of players out in Northbridge after a game in 03 I think, one had played that night and the other although not playing was injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"The other issue with Harvs was the way the message was delivered. Like all good coaches, he was trying to be hard and demanding on the players, but the message became garbled — to the point where a player would walk out of a team meeting and ask, ‘What was that all about?’ It was a frustrating period and put me in a tough position.

The captain has to back up the coach and make sure his message gets through to the players.

Often with Harvs I was playing the role of translator rather than someone reinforcing his message."

Just lol, why does this not surprise me at all...

The problem with harvey was he was trying to clone the sheedy approach trying to outsmart the opposition with radical moves and game plans. Sheedy had the footy smarts and charisma to pull it off.

The problem with harvey was he was trying to clone the sheedy approach trying to outsmart the opposition with radical moves and game plans. Sheedy had the footy smarts and charisma to pull it off.

Also football had evolved from sheedy's heyday but he and harvs didnt seem to get that.

Odd statement.

Fremantle put up a decent performance against Hawthorn in 2014. Never let the truth get in the way of an agenda.
19 points on our home turf is hardly decent. OK at best.

We weren't exactly reknown for being professional.

There were plenty of stories about players making an appearance at the Zanzibar hours after playing a game.

We weren't renown for wanting to go surfing more than play football.
I never heard any tales about our players at Zanzibar straight after a game.
It is straight out flinging s**t at Fremantle and an insult. Problem is, no bastard stood up for us.
Even though it is only an excerpt from Pav's book , it still pisses me off.

During the first ten years of our existence the negative perception of Fremantle was entirely attributable to a corrupt media being at the beck and call of the most putrid club in Australia.

Last edited:

Perceptions are changing - that much is obvious. But Rome wasn't built in a day.

By the way - totally different factors at play in your two anecdotes.

Seriously learn something new..
Crozier's mum would cringe because her baby is going across the country, lame example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back