News Pav Steps Down From Captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

It's going to Fyfe. Its not even close or worth debating.

It was mentioned at training before the break that Mundy had the vote of the players. Whether it's true or not I don't know.

Pavlich has led Freo as captain for 189 games (out of 335). Only five players have captained their side to more games in AFL history. Kernahan has the most as captain with 226 at Carlton. What a leader and what a player Pav has been for Freo. Led us out of the rebuild in 2007, and through the Harvey decision in 2011. That 6 goal performance, whilst battling achilles soreness, against Geelong in the elimination final 2012 has to be his best as captain. Just wish he had lifted the cup in 2013, would've been the ultimate reward for his loyalty and dedication to the club. Can't wait for his 350th. Legend

Has there ever been a more classy player any person in the AFL than Pav? One of the most selfless leaders ever to play the game and he will be just as valuable supporting the new Captain this year.

Agree the front runners are clearly Mundy and Fyfe. With such good support in the leadership group I think Fyfe will be ok taking over the reins now - it'd be a steep learning curve but I think he'd relish in it. He may be young but he is a meticulous planner, a work-horse, a responsibility taker and inspires on-field. Having said all that, Mundy is the same and would come in as a far more experienced leader. I'd be happy with either personally. Regardless, those two and Pav will remain part of the leadership group as I suspect will Sandi and Spurr.

Walters must surely join the leadership group this year. Not sure of the final spot, maybe Ibbo or Dawson? Barlow or Neale might be options also but perhaps too many midfielders in there if they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The king is dead, long live the king

I think it should be Mundy but I'm afraid he might be slowing down.

Captaincy comes with a lot of unwanted scrutiny, Fyfe should play 1 more season without it imo.

Still in shock. Wanted the great man to captain another year, but all good things come to an end. Have been so proud to have Pav as our captain over the last nine years. Classy and respectful, he has always been outstanding. Big shoes for whoever follows. #ForPav

Remove this Banner Ad

Back