Toast Pav's 300th: Blubberfest #1

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
(Title presumes we won't see Mora before Round 9, which will be Blubberfest #2).

So Thursday marks one month until (potentially) one of the biggest games of the clubs history, the 300th AFL game for Matthew Pavlich. Barring injury or suspension, it will occur at Subiaco, in Round 9, against Geelong on May 17.

Unarguably Fremantle's finest ever player, he will become the first WA-based player to reach 300 VFL/AFL games.

Just a few highlights include:
  • All-Australian selection in 2002 (fullback), 2003 (half forward flank), 2005 (centre half forward), 2006 (interchange), 2007 (full forward) and 2008 (interchange)
  • Doig Medallist on six occasions
  • Club captain from 2007 to present, including the inaugural (and only) Grand Final captain
  • Club leading goalkicker on seven occasions
  • Ross Glendinning Medallist on three occasions
  • AFL Rising Star nominee in 2000
Since he was drafted in the 1999 National Draft, he has been a prodigious and exciting talent at the Fremantle Football Club. And in the second half of his career, has comfortably evolved from an outstanding player, to a statesman leader, whilst continuing his consistent, high-quality performances, season in and season out.

Coming into the club on the back of several years of minimal success, Pav's second year saw "Annus Horribilis". He played 21/22 games in 2001, and was one of the only consistent performers in that Wooden Spoon year, including kicking four goals in the club's first win in Round 18.

From there, he went from strength to strength, playing in every game until Round 17, 2008. In this period included the club's first ever final, as well as its foray real foray deep into September, in 2006. He again led from the front in these uncharted waters, including kicking 4 goals in the PF loss to Sydney in 2006.

Taking over the captaincy at the end of the 2006 season, Pavlich continued his high standard of performance, kicking 72 goals in 2007 (his most ever) and 67 in 2008 (in just 19 games). He has now captained 142 matches.

After a strong 2012, in which the club again returned to finals football, he had a frustrating 2013, missing a number of games through injury. However, he managed to prove full fitness in time for finals, and led the club throughout its most successful finals campaign, coming up 15 points short on the big day at the G.

He has returned as strong as ever in 2014, and after a quiet first two rounds (scoresheet-wise), he has been a dominant forward line force in Rounds 3 and 4, auguring well for another big year from the big Pav.

He has led the club with distinction, both on and off the field, as it has transitioned into a brave new era under Mark Harvey and now Ross Lyon. The club is now in an excellent position both on and off the field, and the strong leadership and role model persona of Pavlich has been a key cog in this transformation.

Having rejected numerous offers from clubs in his home state of South Australia to return home, Pavlich has remained loyal to the Fremantle players and fans, and seems guaranteed to play out his career at the Dockers, hopefully enjoying the overall success he richly deserves.

Universally respected by players, coaches, the media (though perhaps at times not as much as one might expect), and the footballing public, Pavlich will always remain a giant of the club.

If not due to his achievements, which stand for themselves, and will one day warrant a walk-up selection into the AFL Hall of Fame. But also for the fact that at almost every key moment of the club's history, Matthew Pavlich has been standing there, both on and off the field.

He has been through the club's lowest and highest points - sharing both the disappointment and ecstasy that have both existed through his long career.
He has been part of a previously inconceivable club transformation, as an essential part, from which the club will continue to benefit, long after his retirement.
He has been a fan favourite since day one, and has always been shown a willingness to be part of the club and give back to its fans and sponsors wherever possible.

Undoubtedly a legend of the Fremantle Football Club, Western Australian football, and the VFL/AFL, Matthew Pavlich deserves all the accolades he has received, and will continue to receive through the remainder of his playing days.

As such, I feel it appropriate that he receive a month's worth of attention, in the lead-up to what will be an enormous day in the Fremantle Football Club's history.

Saturday May 17. Mark it down. 300.

Jeez, I'll be a mess on the day, I welled up reading it. Great job Sam.

Over the years and especially the poor years Pav has always, I mean always been a source of pride for the club I follow. I remember the ridiculous losses to a down and out, Melbourne or Richmond. The beltings at York Park. Sirengate, umpiregate, whispers in the sky, the disrespect we've received from not only national but local media, the constant badgering from the filth up the road. You could go on forever.

But all along we always knew we had it all over the lot of them and they knew it all along. See we have Pav, they don't. He almost single handedly kept our now great club together in the basket case days. We need to deliver this man a flag. I would pay thousands to witness Lyons pre-match address to our players that day. Surely our young guns will be unbeatable if not just for that day but until the last day of the season.

Love the passion, mate. Love the Pav,

But.... Ssssssssshhh! The footy gods might hear! (Touch wood)
If he misses 1 game before then I will get to do his milestone banner at Etihad against the Bulldogs!!!

Still i hope he plays through and gets his milestone in front of the home crowd.

I just stood up and applauded your post Sam (to the bemusement of my colleagues!). And don't worry Seppo, even if it's game 301 we'll still cheer the proverbial out of Pav's milestone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outstanding write up by the OP.

All I can say is what a legend of the game Pav is.

I just so want him and RTB to be holding aloft the premiership cup in 2014.

*nurse biggest hangover known to mankind*

2nd biggest - I might have to empty my entire liquor cabinet that night

Please guys, there are bigger things in football at the moment than Pav's pending 300th game.

Things like Dean Cox reaching 276 games, Nick Naitanui struggling with form and a pulled heart muscle, and why the Eagles aren't on top of the ladder anymore.

A bit of perspective please.

Last edited:
Currently sitting on 591 career goals, Pav has the chance to kick his 600th goal in his 300th game. How awesome would that be!

2 against Sydney
3 against Norf
2 against Eagles
1 against Port...

BANG!
Know what would be better? Pav lining up for his 630th goal in his 300th game...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back