[PDT#02] How do you 'build' a modern wrestler?

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion has died down so here comes Part 2!

Code:
Topic 1: Should companies do more for the 'Scott Hall's' of the world?
[url]http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=936974[/url]
There has been a fair bit of comment as of late that the companies no longer build characters properly (prime example, Ryback and the Funkasaurus).

If you had control of a modern list (Choose WWE or TNA) how would you build up the following brand new characters:

1) Thundabolt - 5'10, 180lb Cruiserweight, Style similar to Sin Cara.
2) Ele-fant- 6'5, 290lb heavyweight, similar to Ryback.

Use wrestlers from your chosen company as examples of opponents and build your characters in a believable way over a period of 3 months+ so that they would become a main stay of the roster.

1) TNA's booking of Austin Aries has been near on perfect so far. Lethal finisher, and one that can be applied to heavyweights (brainbuster). That's the way you push a cruiserweight/X Divsion star and make them look great. It's the exact route I'd be taking with someone who is 180 lbs (presuming you didn't mean Lucha style Sin Cara though)

2) 'Ele-fant' :D That's an awesome name DP. How I would book a heavyweight is weird. I'm just one of those guys that loves a 'cool' character. So if he's cocky, smug and wears aviators, then I'll probably like him. What he has to have though is a unique look. One that doesnt scream "Goldberg 2.0" or "Vader 2.0". So if he's heel, all suits, ties, jackets are out of the question. It's the most original thing these days and needs a change up.

I won't go down a 'how I would book him' path as these are imaginary characters. But the heavyweight would need to have a very good offensive move set and connect with the fans, while having him no sell at whatever opportunity (see Monty Brown from TNA's early years).

I dunno, no selling guitar shots seems to always work. Good topic though man :thumbsu:

1. Thundabolt.

Personally I thought the building of Sin Cara was pretty good. His run had heaps of blips and he kept losing momentum but when he debuted he was unbelievably over. He came in, hit some moves on big guys, including Sheamus who was being billed as a big dog on Smackdown, and escaped the ring without any damage.

When he comes back, I'd have him team up with Del Rio and Rodriguez and form a Mexican stable. Add an enforcer and you have an incredible Mexican heel stable. It also solves Sin Cara's English problems as Del Rio or Rodriguez can speak for him.

Give him a decent run with the US title, maybe flip it once or twice to keep things fresh (but he has to defend it constantly. I hate wrestlers who use titles as props - looking at you Rhodes) and then build into WM against Mysterio for the title or even have Mysterio cost him the title and go into a Mask vs. Mask match.

Like Pera said, finishers are important when you're 180lb. That's why the 619 was cool. Impact finishers mean you can hit it on everyone.

2. Elefant.

Definitely have him debut to squash a jobber, then continue that pattern for the next three weeks. Maybe give him a throwaway match on a PPV that no-one cares about. Then continue that process over the next month and then feed him to Cena to ruin their momentum.

:rolleyes:

Everyone knows how to build a credible heel. Creative just never does it. Here's a hint: heels need to win. Consistently. They don't have to be cheap, dusty victories either.

Tangent: does it piss anyone else off that no-one ever taps to Bryan's Yes Lock? Even when he got that fall against Sheamus at ER, it was because Sheamus "passed out" (good job guys, you turned a finisher that focuses on the shoulder and has the arms across the face into a sleeper). Surely it wouldn't have been hard to have Sheamus eventually tap, Bryan keep the hold and garnered some cheap heat?

The pass out angle is for a number of things:

To indicate the pain was so great the mind shut down to escape. And also the hands across the mouth and nose restricts breathing more than you'd think. I actually almost passed out from an incorrectly applied chokehold once because my nose and mouth were covered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back