Traded Pearce Hanley (2007-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not normally a fan of five year contracts, but in this case it’s probably on balance a good thing for us.

Can’t really imagine him going backwards. He’s worked really hard to get where he is and seems to be pretty resilient, and pretty coachable.

There always a risk of injury with long contracts, but Hanley isn’t injury prone.

We’ve talked on this forum about the need for marketable stars. Well, Hanley can easily fit in that category. And now we know he’ll be around for five years I’m sure we’ll see the club using him in more and more promotional material. He’s a good media performer and he’ll be a great ambassador for the Brisbane Lions brand.

But mostly I’m just really excited that we can look forward to five more years of him running around in maroon, blue and gold.

Fair bet that contract is somewhat front loaded too given our current salary cap situation (i.e. cash to burn but very little out there to spend it on). Could offset some of the risk that comes with a longer deal.

wow his body language during the song on saturday had me worried
must have been very sore indeed!
awesome news

Lions lock up Pearce Hanley on long-term deal
19 August 2013
Michael Whiting

THE BRISBANE Lions are expected to announce a five-year deal for Irishman Pearce Hanley on Tuesday. The deal was reported by News Limited on Monday and although the club would not confirm, there is little doubt the 24-year-old has recommitted.

His signature rounds out a turbulent seven days at the Lions that started with the departure of coach Michael Voss last Tuesday after being told his contract would not be extended in 2014.

After finishing fifth and third in the last two Lions best and fairest counts, Hanley is a strong contender to win the award this year. The dashing half-back/wingman has had a scintillating 2013 despite ever-increasing attention from opposition taggers. He is averaging 22 disposals per match and has kicked 16 goals in his 18 games.
297421-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Great news about the new contract for Pearce.
This got me thinking about the other Irishman Tadhg. So I decided to looked up some stats of Tadhg Kennelly vs Pearce Hanley.
Really interesting that on averages – Pearce leads Tadhg in all stats (on career and at the same stage in their careers).
If Pearce continues this form, then I think the can be no doubt about who the better Irishman is.
TK - Career
G 197
K 1817 (9.22)
M 702 (3.56)
HB 1266 (6.43)
DIS 3083 (15.65)
G 30 (0.15)
T 327 (1.66)
ReB 640 (3.25)
Clear 151 (0.77)
1% 481 (2.44)
Boun 259 (1.31)

PH – after 74 games
G 74
K 984 (13.30)
M 384 (5.19)
HB 490 (6.62)
DIS 1474 (19.92)
G 29 (0.39)
T 186 (2.51)
ReB 279 (3.77)
Clear 77 (1.04)
1% 191 (2.58)
Boun 121 (1.64)

TK – after 75 games
G 75
K 561 (7.48)
M 235 (3.13)
HB 430 (5.73)
DIS 991 (13.21)
G 25 (0.33)
T 106 (1.41)
ReB 204 (2.72)
Clear 59 (0.78)
1% 169 (2.25)
Boun 71 (0.94)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird that Tadgh had 25 goals up to his first 75 games and then only kicked 5 more over his other 122 games.

IIRC he played a bit up forward and off a flank early on, but was really bedded down in defence later.

So was TK ahead in any other (not mentioned) statistical measures 'cause PH is ahead on every one of those (except games played!)

All i did was gather the most common ones - it was not subjective. I didnt look into anything else to be honest. I was very suuprised in the results, hence why I did further stats based on where they were at the same stage. The results we even more in favour of Pearce.

Effective Celebrations.

Yeah I've mentioned this before. I really hope Browny stays on so he can give Pearce some more pointers over the pre-season on proper celebrations, it must be pretty embarrassing that more junior players like Zorko & Mayes are already outclassing him.

Yeah I've mentioned this before. I really hope Browny stays on so he can give Pearce some more pointers over the pre-season on proper celebrations, it must be pretty embarrassing that more junior players like Zorko & Mayes are already outclassing him.

Think he needs some handshaking practice?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back