Traded Pearce Hanley (2007-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Nazi commandant has become the POW. How the mighty have fallen.

On Hanley, Woewodin made a big deal in the 2013 post-season review videos that Pearce was earmarked for the midfield this year, likely to be an on-ball role.

I haven't been to a hell of a lot of training sessions this pre-season but it doesn't seem like that has been the focus. Still half back flank and wing roles primarily.

They did speak a bit about him moving more inside at the end of last year, but perhaps this will be in smaller stints, rather than a move to an inside role. He is one of our better attacking players, so I think we need to maximise that. He seems naturally pretty good weaving through traffic though, which is something we do need.

Inside Football Player Rating - BLvGCS - NAB Challenge 2.
7/10 – Looked on his game. Had zip and polish with many of his 27 disposals and 15 handball receives.

-- Ben Casanella, Inside Football Thursday, February 27, 2014, Match Review BLvGCS

HANLEY SHOWING MAYO WHAT THEY'RE MISSING

Mayo manager James Horan must be wondering how much stronger his squad would be if he could call on Pearce Hanley, who is making it big in Australia.

The 25-year-old Ballaghaderreen native has made such an impression with Brisbane Lions that in their pre-season assessment, the 'Herald Sun' described him as "potentially the best Irishman to play the game since Jim Stynes."

High praise indeed, especially since a certain Kerryman enjoyed a great AFL career too.

Still, the 'Herald Sun' is sticking to its guns.

"With apologies to Swans premiership defender Tadhg Kennelly, Pearce may have a few more strings to his bow, including goal-scoring and high marking tallies."

Sounds exactly like the sort that Horan could use right now.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hur...re-rule-could-land-gaa-in-court-30042003.html

Mike Sheahan’s bi-annual ‘Top 50’ always generates great discussion among the AFL community – and his most recent list, published in the Herald Sun on Wednesday, is no exception.

Matthew Leuenberger and Pearce Hanley have flown the flag for the Lions this season, after being selected at number 34 and 43 respectively ahead of the 2014 season.

It is the second that both players have appeared in Mike’s Top 50. Leuenberger was listed at number 46 in the lead-up to 2012, while Hanley’s outstanding 2013 season was rewarded with 34th spot at the end of last year.

Hanley, meanwhile, has obviously caught the attention of the football world – including the Melbourne media – given his exciting style of play.

“He complements his great pace with nimble footwork and a huge sense of adventure. Love watching him play,” Sheahan said.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-03-05/two-lions-in-top-50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we all know his top 50 lists are complete BS

And we all know his top 50 lists are complete BS

Meh, a subjective opinion. Isn't his first top 50 of the year a prediction for the year ahead?

For example, Rockliff would be in my top 50 but I could understand how someone wouldn't have him in theirs. People citing Rocky's Brownlow polling to attack Sheahan seems a bit rich considering the Brownlow is voted on by those yellow maggots we call clueless idiots every week. We all pick and choose a bit.

But let's face it, he is a big fan of those fast skillful types. Not to mention his articles are supposed to create debates between fans etc etc. That's essentially what he is paid for.

Yeah, if his list had everyone saying "yep, about right" it would quickly become a non-event.

It's interesting.

I think Rocky should be in there (top 25), but if we accept that in an 18 team competition, we are a mid-table side without any huge stars, 2 players in the top 50 is about correct. Who would you drop Hanley or Leuey?

“I did coach (Hanley) for two years before I left and joined the Tigers and it’s a completely different story now,” Leppitsch told SEN radio in Melbourne.

“The first two years he was an Irish boy who’d come down here for a party. He was tearing hamstrings every three weeks and wasn’t quite leading the professional life.

“But since I’ve come back he’s a different boy, that’s for sure.

“He’s extremely professional and one of our best trainers. If he was playing in Melbourne, you’d be singing his praises a little bit more.

“He’s got an unbelievable turn of speed and ability to break the lines.”

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-03-06/pearce-a-different-player

Personally I'm shocked that a young Irish lad down in Australia would be partying it up instead of working hard.
Absolutely. That fruit won't pick itself.

AFTER a disjointed pre-season to date, Pearce Hanley says Saturday's practice match against the Sydney Swans is the perfect warm-up for the premiership season.

The Lions played Hawthorn with a depleted team on February 13 and were thrashed, but then rebounded to beat an understrength Gold Coast 10 days later.

Hanley said a "tough, contested" game against a near full-strength Swans was the ideal tune-up before taking on Hawthorn in round one on March 22.

"It'll be our first proper game," Hanley said ahead of the match at Burpengary in Brisbane's north.

"This is prep for round one and we're taking it very serious. It's what we need."

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-03-07/swans-an-ideal-opponent

AFTER hearing he was one of the Lions players chosen to promote Brisbane ballet production Coppelia, defender Pearce Hanley left all his reservations behind.

"We were under the impression there'd be some girls here … there were a few pirouettes in there that could come in handy for footy," he said.

"But it was all boys."

That still didn't dull the Irishman's enthusiasm for teaching the lads some new footy skills, alongside Lions teammate Brent Moloney.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/brisbane-lions-put-ball-back-ballet/2191692/

BRISBANE star Pearce Hanley is desperate to play finals football.

And the Irishman and his Lions teammates will get a an early taste of what is required to be a top eight team when they take on perennial finals side Sydney at Burpengary today.

It might be the last pre-season hit-out for both clubs but the Swans play a tough, contested, finals-like brand of football from February.

Sydney meet GWS in Round 1 next Saturday so the near full-strength Bloods will be in dress rehearsal mode when they meet the Lions.

It is the sort of challenge that Hanley embraces.

Having signed a rich five-year deal with Brisbane last year, the emerging AFL A-lister wants to get plenty of bang for his buck.

In 76 senior games, Hanley has never played a final. It is a statistic he wants to change as soon as possible.

“I’m not a young fella anymore trying to get my next kick or my next game ... I want to start winning and I want to start playing finals,” he said.

“It is something we can push for this year. We have to go into every game thinking we can win. I know all the boys have the same high expectations.

“I’ve made a long-term commitment to the club, I love the club, and I’d love to enjoy some success with the boys so Sydney will be a great test for us and tell us where we are at.”

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/in-...t-to-change-this/story-e6frg12c-1226848289890

Remove this Banner Ad

Back