Analysis Peel Thunder 2015 (TV schedule in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

He'll be made sub before being dropped. Reckon it'll happen this week.
Most likely, if one of the first years gets a run then it will be as a sub to ease them into it. If Pearce gets made sub, then getting time into a first year will be harder - better to drop him altogether and make him tear it up for Peel.

Grey is a better user than people give him credit for. His hand balling and decision making in tight is first class. He often gets clearances where he has to bang it on the boot but everyone does that under pressure.

Out of 33 possessions only a couple of kicks went astray and most were still to 50/50 situations. Hit Hurley lace out for the first goal and Clarke lace out for one of his in the 2nd half. Hope he gets a chance this weekend as he is an improvement on DeBoer imo.

Grey is a better user than people give him credit for. His hand balling and decision making in tight is first class. He often gets clearances where he has to bang it on the boot but everyone does that under pressure.

Out of 33 possessions only a couple of kicks went astray and most were still to 50/50 situations. Hit Hurley lace out for the first goal and Clarke lace out for one of his in the 2nd half. Hope he gets a chance this weekend as he is an improvement on DeBoer imo.

Yeah I've been a vocal critic of Grey's disposal previously but I actually thought he was better yesterday. He was pretty good by foot, in that on multiple occasions he assessed the options and measured a 30m pinpoint pass on to the chest of a team mate rather than his usual method of disposing the ball by foot - which is just put it on the boot and kick the ball so hard it turns inside out.

I would actually pick him this week based on that performance.

How good does this draft look though? Blakely is absolutely sublime, Langdon is a gun and Hughes and Weller have both shown flashes of talent. Everyone except Deluca I think will play AFL for us. Now if only we had a tall who was showing the same signs.

Last edited:
I think Grey is an upgrade on DeBoer skills wise without losing much in the toughness department. Not sure on fitness though.

Yeah I've been a vocal critic of Grey's disposal previously but I actually thought he was better yesterday. He was pretty good by foot, in that on multiple occasions he assessed the options and measured a 30m pinpoint pass on to the chest of an opponent rather than his usual method of disposing the ball by foot - which is just put it on the boot and kick the ball so hard it turns inside out.

I would actually pick him this week based on that performance.

How good does this draft look though? Blakely is absolutely sublime, Langdon is a gun and Hughes and Weller have both shown flashes of talent. Everyone except Deluca I think will play AFL for us. Now if only we had a tall who was showing the same signs.
This worries me a little ;)

Vandeleur actually played better than his stats showed, as did Bootsma (freo rookie player 2016) who was outstanding and used the ball brilliantly. He was close to Peel's best player despite only gathering sixteen possessions as his spoiling was fantastic.
Bootsma took some great marks in the defensive 50 to stop goals. Most of his kicks were pin point with distance and his effort to run and break a line off the half back when Peel had the control anyway helped set up an end to end goal. I'm a massive fan of his. He looked so focused on the play and reads it well.
The non-freo afl players were great (Ugle, Bootsma and Jetta). We'd be mad not to give Bootsma another crack as a rookie next year.
Good to see my future buddy Bootsma putting his hand up for us to rookie him! :rainbow::cool:

Good, honest report there sherrif. Caught the game on telly, pretty much how I saw it too. Cheers mate

Last edited:

I have seen nowhere near enough WAFL live to comment on Greys' general kicking but I did happen to be watching that passage of play; it was a shank. He was aiming for the top of the square and shinned it flat and to the left.

I have seen nowhere near enough WAFL live to comment on Greys' general kicking but I did happen to be watching that passage of play; it was a shank. He was aiming for the top of the square and shinned it flat and to the left.
Got to see in afl is he a suban or someone that improve playing afl.

First time I have made it to a peel game in a month. And for the most part the stuff I was thinking is covered by others. There are, however, a couple of things that I wanted to cover.
  • Clarke (from my understanding) was sent to Peel to improve his tap work. I remember watching the third quarter and thinking he needs plenty of work there. I watched him tap it to the advantage of the Swans three center bounces in a row and this was a definite reason for their run in the third. I was appalled.
  • I would debate disposal with others but Grey is by far the most improved YB for Peel and I would think that he is getting close to a game.
  • If we are commenting on who is most likely to get a recall it gets hard. IMHO the only realistic chances are Grey, Blakely, Weller and possibly Langdon. Alphabetically.
    • Blakely is probably the closest inside mid to get a game but I doubt that RTB is going to experiment in the midfield. I just don't think hsi prefered role is likely to get him a game this season. Shows plenty though.
    • Grey, RTB loves to introduce players through the wings or the half lines. As a HBF Grey is well and truly capable of a move to the bigs but he needs to work on what happens when he rotates through the midfield. I would expect him to spend games in the midfield to work on this.
    • I remain unconvinced by Langdon, perhaps because I find it hard to tell him apart from other players. Aside from a nice run down the wing I just didn't see him impact the game, though his stats seemed to indicate he did.
    • Weller IMHO is most likely to get a game. He doesn't get a lot of possessions compared to others that appear here but I suspect that there is a stat we can't see with his name all over it. Effective meters gained. His ability to take possession, move through traffic, run and deliver on a long kick is what makes him stand out. It's hard to get numbers to prove this one way or the other but I think this is why he features in RTB's comments.
  • Best sidestep I saw all day was by a little blond pocket rocket who got of the leash in the third and made it to the boundary before being tackled by a channel 7 guy and handed back to his mum. Great movement to get past mum, through the gate, round the boundary ump, under Channel 7 guy 1 and out to the sideline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time I have made it to a peel game in a month. And for the most part the stuff I was thinking is covered by others. There are, however, a couple of things that I wanted to cover.
  • Clarke (from my understanding) was sent to Peel to improve his tap work. I remember watching the third quarter and thinking he needs plenty of work there. I watched him tap it to the advantage of the Swans three center bounces in a row and this was a definite reason for their run in the third. I was appalled.
  • I would debate disposal with others but Grey is by far the most improved YB for Peel and I would think that he is getting close to a game.
  • If we are commenting on who is most likely to get a recall it gets hard. IMHO the only realistic chances are Grey, Blakely, Weller and possibly Langdon. Alphabetically.
    • Blakely is probably the closest inside mid to get a game but I doubt that RTB is going to experiment in the midfield. I just don't think hsi prefered role is likely to get him a game this season. Shows plenty though.
    • Grey, RTB loves to introduce players through the wings or the half lines. As a HBF Grey is well and truly capable of a move to the bigs but he needs to work on what happens when he rotates through the midfield. I would expect him to spend games in the midfield to work on this.
    • I remain unconvinced by Langdon, perhaps because I find it hard to tell him apart from other players. Aside from a nice run down the wing I just didn't see him impact the game, though his stats seemed to indicate he did.
    • Weller IMHO is most likely to get a game. He doesn't get a lot of possessions compared to others that appear here but I suspect that there is a stat we can't see with his name all over it. Effective meters gained. His ability to take possession, move through traffic, run and deliver on a long kick is what makes him stand out. It's hard to get numbers to prove this one way or the other but I think this is why he features in RTB's comments.
  • Best sidestep I saw all day was by a little blond pocket rocket who got of the leash in the third and made it to the boundary before being tackled by a channel 7 guy and handed back to his mum. Great movement to get past mum, through the gate, round the boundary ump, under Channel 7 guy 1 and out to the sideline.

Ok with all of that, except Clarke's tapping in Q4 was probably a reason we won the game.

Fair enough but seemed to spin alright imo but I may have missed the actual contact and he may have got lucky. In any case I think his disposal was fine for the most part and better than the majority of our senior guys on Saturday (albeit they were obviously under more pressure).

Fair enough but seemed to spin alright imo but I may have missed the actual contact and he may have got lucky. In any case I think his disposal was fine for the most part and better than the majority of our senior guys on Saturday (albeit they were obviously under more pressure).
I wouldn't worry too much about disposal, the guys mentioned just have to match D Pearce, and kick goals from 40.

Ok with all of that, except Clarke's tapping in Q4 was probably a reason we won the game.
Hmm, unconvinced.

To me it looked like the mids got to work at the center bounces. MZ, Duffield (as others said average game but fired in the 4th) and Grey all with nice clearances but none of them were easy. Particularly Grey's which I thought was going to end up as a ball up before he scrambled a kick forward. There was nothing that was a clean tap to advantage that I saw. Perhaps you saw it better than I did.
I agree his tap work in the 4th was an improvement over the 3rd. In general I would rate ZC ahead of Griff around the ground but I think he needs to work on his ruck stuff.

From memory (which is my disclaimer if it turns out that I'm wrong) there were a couple of occasions where Clarke won the tap and it fell to good place but there was no one there to receive it. That's not entirely the ruck's fault. For one of the boundary throw ins in the last qtr I could hear Ames shouting to the mids to "watch the long one" which none of the ducks did and Clarke tapped a beautiful long tap up the boundary which BJ got on the end of. I thought Clarke did well in the ruck.

From memory (which is my disclaimer if it turns out that I'm wrong) there were a couple of occasions where Clarke won the tap and it fell to good place but there was no one there to receive it. That's not entirely the ruck's fault. For one of the boundary throw ins in the last qtr I could hear Ames shouting to the mids to "watch the long one" which none of the ducks did and Clarke tapped a beautiful long tap up the boundary which BJ got on the end of. I thought Clarke did well in the ruck.
Didn't hear Ames so I'll believe you. And yes there were some good taps in the 4th.
It's interesting to see two people watch the same thing and think different things about what happened.

What's the ruling for Freo listed players playing in the finals?

Is there a specific amount of games? Do Freo have to be still playing?

What's the ruling for Freo listed players playing in the finals?

Is there a specific amount of games? Do Freo have to be still playing?
There are no special rules. But the rule that counts is that you have to have played a minimum number of games in the season to play in the finals. Not sure how many.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back