Analysis Peel Thunder 2015 (TV schedule in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good game to watch on the TV but very hard to pick out better players no one would demand a game in the Dockers on their performance Blakely looks a ready made replacement for Barlow or Mundy in the next couple of years. Thought Hughes showed something and Langdon still not over excited by Weller thought Jetta was far more dangerous when he had the ball.

Good game to watch on the TV but very hard to pick out better players no one would demand a game in the Dockers on their performance Blakely looks a ready made replacement for Barlow or Mundy in the next couple of years. Thought Hughes showed something and Langdon still not over excited by Weller thought Jetta was far more dangerous when he had the ball.
Cant compare jetta he play few year in afl.

You need to have played 5 games - EXCEPT if Freo are playing finals on the same weekend. Then any Freo listed player can play for Peel if they're not playing for the Dockers.

It's discussed here https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/29045696/crowley-a-chance-to-make-peel-grand-final/

It would be incredibly funny to see the look on the (probably Subi) midfielder's face when Crowley walks into the centre square and stands next to him in the grand final. But there's something a bit morally wrong about it if the opportunity did arise.

It would be incredibly funny to see the look on the (probably Subi) midfielder's face when Crowley walks into the centre square and stands next to him in the grand final. But there's something a bit morally wrong about it if the opportunity did arise.
In his last 2 WAFL games over an 8 year period he has 54 touches and 8 goals. So yeah.

One of the benefits of the unusual start time for Peel's game last week was that I got to watch the last qtr of the colts game. The reserves are dreadful to watch but on Sunday they played after the league game. The colts game was very entertaining with some pretty good skills on display.
During that last qtr a young Peel player swooped on a loose ball, ran his full measure and kicked a goal from just outside 50 from the flank nearest to the swans bench. Impressed by this, I thought I would check the Budget to see who this No. 4 was, it made me think that maybe I might be reading about him in in one of Chris25's reports later in the year. Anyway, there was an article in today's paper where Noah Hura was mentioned as an academy prospect.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/29157798/son-of-a-gun-s-draft-prospects-on-the-rise/

Peel produce a reasonable colts team but unlike other WAFL teams it seems unlikely that these kids will get an opportunity in the league team later this year due to the affiliation with Freo. Having said that Winton and Walsh both got the odd game with the seniors last year. Blakely got a decent run with the swans last year and I imagine other league teams also gave their brightest prospects an opportunity for scouts to see what they can do amongst the bigger bodies. It seems a shame for the region that their better players need to move closer to the city for their development and maybe to get some better exposure. I could be wrong but didn't Blakely and Hughes both do that?

One of the benefits of the unusual start time for Peel's game last week was that I got to watch the last qtr of the colts game. The reserves are dreadful to watch but on Sunday they played after the league game. The colts game was very entertaining with some pretty good skills on display.
During that last qtr a young Peel player swooped on a loose ball, ran his full measure and kicked a goal from just outside 50 from the flank nearest to the swans bench. Impressed by this, I thought I would check the Budget to see who this No. 4 was, it made me think that maybe I might be reading about him in in one of Chris25's reports later in the year. Anyway, there was an article in today's paper where Noah Hura was mentioned as an academy prospect.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/29157798/son-of-a-gun-s-draft-prospects-on-the-rise/

Peel produce a reasonable colts team but unlike other WAFL teams it seems unlikely that these kids will get an opportunity in the league team later this year due to the affiliation with Freo. Having said that Winton and Walsh both got the odd game with the seniors last year. Blakely got a decent run with the swans last year and I imagine other league teams also gave their brightest prospects an opportunity for scouts to see what they can do amongst the bigger bodies. It seems a shame for the region that their better players need to move closer to the city for their development and maybe to get some better exposure. I could be wrong but didn't Blakely and Hughes both do that?
Hura can't be drafted until next season. He's a 98 birthday, and if we are looking at drafting players born in 1998, I'd be looking at East Perth's crop.

So I'm guessing Menegola is getting re-drafted this year?

Looks like he's finally put it together - averaging just a shade under 30 possies and 2 goals a game in the WAFL.

6 foot 2 and has an almost unparalleled running ability. Not sure if he's ever going to make it at AFL level but with it being mooted that rotations could be reduced from 120 to 80 next season aerobic ability is going to be at an even bigger premium for prospective recruiters.

So I'm guessing Menegola is getting re-drafted this year?

Looks like he's finally put it together - averaging just a shade under 30 possies and 2 goals a game in the WAFL.

6 foot 2 and has an almost unparalleled running ability. Not sure if he's ever going to make it at AFL level but with it being mooted that rotations could be reduced from 120 to 80 next season aerobic ability is going to be at an even bigger premium for prospective recruiters.

I wish whoever picks him up the best of luck. They'll need it.

I wish whoever picks him up the best of luck. They'll need it.

Yeah as Ross would say there is a massive difference between WAFL and the AFL, I wish Menegola well but he just wasn't good enough with the ball in hand to make it in the AFL.

How does anyone know that? He never played a game.

Just saying he had a weakness with his ball use in WAFL games and at training that I saw at Freo. I admit I have not seen him play this year but he is a big body and a elite runner so I am not surprised that he can dominate WAFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does anyone know that? He never played a game.

Saw enough of him in the WAFL (including this year) to know his strengths and weaknesses but what gives me confidence is that two very good AFL clubs have given him every possible chance and decided that there isn't any hope for him.

Saw enough of him in the WAFL (including this year) to know his strengths and weaknesses but what gives me confidence is that two very good AFL clubs have given him every possible chance and decided that there isn't any hope for him.

That can sometimes be a hindrance as you have elite guys above you and don't always get the chance. If my memory is right he had bit injury trouble as well.

That can sometimes be a hindrance as you have elite guys above you and don't always get the chance. If my memory is right he had bit injury trouble as well.

Yeah true but, we extended Matt De Boers contract Rodney while sending Menegola off. I'd hardly say MDB is elite. We also kept Ballard in favour of him and he's a very similar player with similar strengths and weaknesses.

In regards to injuries, clubs look past that and if the player is worth persisting with they'll give them time eg Morabito and Smith.
Menegola played plenty enough of WAFL while a Freo listed player.

Yeah true but, we extended Matt De Boers contract Rodney while sending Menegola off. I'd hardly say MDB is elite. We also kept Ballard in favour of him and he's a very similar player with similar strengths and weaknesses.

In regards to injuries, clubs look past that and if the player is worth persisting with they'll give them time eg Morabito and Smith.
Menegola played plenty enough of WAFL while a Freo listed player.

Yes ok but IMO a few things were different, ie De boer has always been a club favourite and was I think in the leadership group so hard to cut. Mengelola would have had to get a senior list spot Ballard stayed on the rookie and no senior spots available in Freo mid field.
Morabito was pick 4 always given more time and played last year and again I think was given an extension before got hurt again.
Smith is Kpb they normally get a bit more time exspecially when we looked short on Kpb .

Menegola had a few preseason games that showed that his endurance was about as far as his footy talent extended. He was behind too many others, Mzungu, Crowley, De Boer, and then Sheridan.

No, you're right, but both clubs had top tier midfields and it would have been very difficult to break in. At Freo he was a rookie so he wasn't even eligable. Barlow trained with 2-3 clubs? Got knocked back by all until we picked him up. He was one that could have been rated as not good enough until he got his chance to prove the doubters wrong. In saying that the odds are that his disposal would have kept him out of the team, unless he was given a run with role. He's very similar in his physical attributes to Crowley.

I could have sworn there were some NAB cup games. I do remember he'd played okay, but as a sub who came on with fresher legs.

Your right.
He played a NAB Cup game against West Coast down in Mandurah (I think) 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back