Analysis Peel Thunder 2015 (TV schedule in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure who does the stats for the WAFL games pavsbootlace, but he definitely had at least one good tackle. I guess if he was hanging around to make sure he could tackle defenders he wouldn't be getting into space to kick four goals either.

Forwards need to kick goals. He kicks goals - sound like a forward to me. :)

Duffy has kicked 15 goals in eleven games in the WAFL this year. That's not bad, but he is hardly breaking down the door with his form. He needs to get multiple goals consistently for a few weeks before he can put pressure on any of the incumbents.

Ydraw, you have a problem with good coaches?

I think this is the guy Fred.

View attachment 147737

The little brown shirt I am thinking of is the upstart who was always reporting Freo players for trivial offences, most or all of which were thrown out.
Nick Foote is the AFL ump who handed the eagles the softest frees imaginable against Carlton earlier this year.
I was wondering if he was the guy promoted from WAFL ranks. His AFL number 2.

Duffy has kicked 15 goals in eleven games in the WAFL this year. That's not bad, but he is hardly breaking down the door with his form. He needs to get multiple goals consistently for a few weeks before he can put pressure on any of the incumbents.

Ydraw, you have a problem with good coaches?
Curious, you say he needs to get multiple goals consistently to be considered.

What are your thoughts on Ballas/Mayne and their inability to kick multiple goals consistently? Do they get a pass because it's AFL level?

What are your thoughts on Ballas/Mayne and their inability to kick multiple goals consistently? Do they get a pass because it's AFL level?

I would say he is suggesting if a player wants to replace another player in the team he has to be significantly better.

I'm definitely in the "Give Duffy a go camp" myself.

I actually caught most of the Peel game on Saturday (first time in months) and Duffy really impressed me with his improvement - moved well, kicked true, milked a free that turned into a goal - he was lively.

Rather than have Duffy behind Ballaz as the second option though, I would have him behind Crozier. Early this season Max had the goal-kicking yips and his radar was a little off (lots of shots on goal, but they resulted in lots of behinds, choosing the wrong option and reading the play too slowly) IIRC... but at the same time he was also consistently racking up solid-enough possession numbers on a HFF / midfield rotation.

Now skip forward a few weeks - he's kicked four goals in both of his last two peel games IIRC and he looked downright dangerous to me in his last game. He matches Croz for size and speed and both those guys present a scoring option... but Croz has always been the far better tackler overall and this consistently puts him ahead of Duffy.

Croz has been a tad underwhelming in possessions, scoring and tackling in his last couple of games - Duffy however has been pretty solid in two of those three at least down at Peel. I say keep Ballaz and Sonny in the team up forward, but exchange Duffy for Croz against Brisbane and see if anything develops.

AFL level is harder than WAFL level. Players who struggle at AFL level perform very well when they go back to the lower level. So to get Ballantyne or Mayne replaced in the firsts, Duffy, or any other forward, would need to perform very well week in week out. One or two good performances doesn't cut it.

It's not rocket surgery, Shane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm definitely in the "Give Duffy a go camp" myself.

I actually caught most of the Peel game on Saturday (first time in months) and Duffy really impressed me with his improvement - moved well, kicked true, milked a free that turned into a goal - he was lively.

Rather than have Duffy behind Ballaz as the second option though, I would have him behind Crozier. Early this season Max had the goal-kicking yips and his radar was a little off (lots of shots on goal, but they resulted in lots of behinds, choosing the wrong option and reading the play too slowly) IIRC... but at the same time he was also consistently racking up solid-enough possession numbers on a HFF / midfield rotation.

Now skip forward a few weeks - he's kicked four goals in both of his last two peel games IIRC and he looked downright dangerous to me in his last game. He matches Croz for size and speed and both those guys present a scoring option... but Croz has always been the far better tackler overall and this consistently puts him ahead of Duffy.

Croz has been a tad underwhelming in possessions, scoring and tackling in his last couple of games - Duffy however has been pretty solid in two of those three at least down at Peel. I say keep Ballaz and Sonny in the team up forward, but exchange Duffy for Croz against Brisbane and see if anything develops.

I think that Duffy is much more likely to replace Crozier than Ballatyne or Mayne, for the reasons you've outlined.

Duffy kicked four goals against West Perth almost a month ago, then a low scoring game and a bye before this weekend, by the way.

Mayne's WAFL record is 12 games for 12 goals, with a career high of 3.

I think that Duffy is much more likely to replace Crozier than Ballatyne or Mayne, for the reasons you've outlined.

Duffy kicked four goals against West Perth almost a month ago, then a low scoring game and a bye before this weekend, by the way.

I stand corrected. :) But I'd still like to see him have his shot at HFF - I think the forward line needs some more 'WTF-factor', besides just Walters.

Mayne is good at what he does, but the 'he will kick more goals when he goes closer to goal' thing was a pipe dream. Let Mayne do what he does best and let duffy have a go at doing what he does best. He won't lose us games if he doesn't come off, but he will probably help us win more games and win others more easily if he does. What have we got to lose?
Our midfield tends to lag off the lead up players a lot. That's their responsibility not the forward line. And if we kick goals more easily, it might help the midfield and defense as well. Especially, if they don't have to constantly win the ball back.

None obviously. He's never been dropped despite 18 months of poor form.

You admit you quoted statistics that mean absolutely nothing, then have another dig at Lyon? Is this an alias for Plugger?

Mayne has kicked 13 goals in the AFL this year, in 11 games. His performance his year is much better statistically than last year, when he managed 13 goals over the season.

Duffy has now kicked 15, in 11 WAFL games.

A bloke that averages 30 in Sheffield Shield and scores a ton is very rarely going to average 40 or 50 in test cricket if given a chance. Duffy needs to string a few good games together.

I expect changes to the forward line given the noise coming from RTB since the game re: that our offence has dropped off. Lots of focus from the media as well on where we were relatively in scoring in the early rounds versus the latter rounds. Mentions by him of Sandi playing permanently forward in the rounds ahead while Tabs and Duffy getting amongst the goals gives them options to load up on the firepower up front.

Personally, I'd like to see us revert to Clarke rucking with Sandi mostly up forward and a mix of Pav, Tabs, Mayne, Ballaz, Walters and Duffy. I think it was something like that against Geelong and the Hawks late last year and it looked worthwhile toiling with. Having the last four around the feet of the first three would surely create headaches and unpredictability for the opposition.

The Australian selectors often pick players with low averages if they think they have the talent to make it at the next level.
Steve Smith was a prime example. They give them a taste and then drop them back for a while and then bring them back etc etc.

Nothing against giving the young guns a game but Connor was not involved in the centre bounce downs but stationed in the half forward line playing the role Barlow is now playing and did a good job .I would bring Blakeley in for Crosier. Blakeley has been a lot more consistent than Duffy and deserves a shot hopefully this coming game.

Nothing against giving the young guns a game but Connor was not involved in the centre bounce downs but stationed in the half forward line playing the role Barlow is now playing and did a good job .I would bring Blakeley in for Crosier. Blakeley has been a lot more consistent than Duffy and deserves a shot hopefully this coming game.
We need goal kickers Salim not more makeshift, pretend forwards. I thought Blakely was well held by Micheal Sinclair but to his credit he kept fighting to win hard fought possessions. But he is not ready to take a forward role for Freo imo. He is not a great kick either and Crozier is.

I don't think Blakeley for Crozier is like for like. If anything we would lose speed in the swap. I think Blakeley is next in line after the clearance machines, if there is an injury. Barlow maybe?

I think Crozier is probably I'm trouble though. We could go taller in the forward line again with Clarke and Tabs coming in(Hannath going out too), or give Duffy a try.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back