Analysis Peel Thunder 2015 (TV schedule in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

We really have got problems kicking goals if you are looking at Peel for solutions, seems they are using RTBs game plan.
Peel had 328 disposals to Subiaco's 318 ,yet they get thrashed by 55 points ,doubling Peels score. Also winning the hit outs 68 to 22 ,something is wrong.

Just watched parts of the game on TV. Some observations - Peel appeared unfit with most players running seemingly at half pace. No apparent instruction by the coach to pick up the Subi player standing off the scrimmage.

Griffin - see ya
Hannath - see ya
Moller - a keeper (actually quite impressed just wish he;d show a bit more desperation)
Weller, Blakely, Grey & Ballard - keepers
Smith - undecided
Duffy - see ya
Mzungu - unimpressive today. Can understand why he's not in the "A"s
Bootsma, Jetta & Yarran - worth a look

My take from the living room (first WAFL game I have been able to watch since before my now 2.5 year old could walk):

Blakey - Looks like he will be a player. Has an odd handballing technique that worries me for reasons I can't articulate. Anyway not ready for the AFL this season but once he has core strength will be an inside machine.

Bootsma - 2 classes above every other Peel defender

Crozier - Had no idea what position he was playing and neither did he I think. Got allot of it but ineffective

Deluca - Okay

Duffy - Delist

Grey - Our best, hope he makes it

Griffen - As agile as thing that is not very agile. Dominated the hit outs if not to advantage

Hannath - Delist

Hughes - Okay

Hurley - Strong and agile, very fumbly. Seems to regard the footy as a dangerous object to disposed of as rapidly as possible. Like you have discovered the swaddling you were handed was 6 sticks of dynamite rather than a baby.

Moller - Worth persisting with. Sooner we get rid of Hannath so he rucks more the better.

Mzungu - Awful today. My hot tip is he's finished as a AFL player if he is OOC

Smith - Good lock down defender, everything else a liability. May be forced to keep due to our lack of AFL ready KPD.

Vandeleur - Delist

Weller - Classy. Faded in second half.

All other Peel players - FMD

Quote: Mzungu - unimpressive today. Can understand why he's not in the "A"s

You have to look at it from Gu's perspective, he's been killing it for weeks for Peel, finally gets a hint of selection only to be disappointed. He has now become despondent as you well understand,he's probably thinking he is wasting his time, his dream has slipped away.

It is very harsh to write him off, you have no clue.

You have to look at it from Gu's perspective, he's been killing it for weeks for Peel, finally gets a hint of selection only to be disappointed. He has now become despondent as you well understand,he's probably thinking he is wasting his time, his dream has slipped away.

You can't have the play your way in play your way out & then it doesn't happen, you can't keep lifting if there is no reward, I feel for the guy.

Agree with most views Moller should get more ruck time to limited, most time he was in ruck peel went forward, he has good hands with tap work, has to learn to take more grabs but sitting behind Griff & Hannath ain't helping his development IMO. Try Hannath at FF only for a week see how it goes.

Agree with most views Moller should get more ruck time to limited, most time he was in ruck peel went forward, he has good hands with tap work, has to learn to take more grabs but sitting behind Griff & Hannath ain't helping his development IMO. Try Hannath at FF only for a week see how it goes.
I agree, but he has plenty of time (assuming we keep him) Griffen and Hannath are next in line if needed at the next level so they need to keep their skills and game fitness up.

Exactly, Ross has pretty much dumped him for no reason.

I really hope this isn't a Luke Ball situation again because it seems like it. (Not saying Gu is any where close to Ball quality, but he is certainly better than Suban).

Weller - very good, actually stronger through the hips than I gave him credit for. Disposal is elite.

Blakeley - so so. Disposal was a bit off today by foot. Still quite amazing within the contest for a youngster.

Grey - above average game. Good at running clear on congestion, has a Kieran Jack esque side step. Puts his head where others fear to put their feet. Capped off his game with a nice snap late. If he can build his tank he could really contribute in an AFL midfield. Needs to tidy up kicking a little too.

Mzungu - massively dissapointing. Looked completely out of touch. Didn't look like a player who has BOG for a few weeks on the trot.

Hannath - very ineffectual. Does he have a contract for 2016? Would be sweating with Griffins contract extension.

Moller - a lot of hype. Not much substance. He is still very very thin. But he has pace and can take a mark. Still moved aside very easily. Wet game hard to judge the talls.

Griffin - lucky to get the contract he did. Was athletically put to shame by the Subiaco ruckman. But really worked hard and eventually dominated that contest. Griffin is a workhorse. He ground out a dominant performance after looking like he would get his ass handed too him. Not sure what to make of it.

TV - hard ass. Lacks polish but very competitive and one of the few peel players that could withstand the physicality of Subiaco.

crozier - actually very good, without being outstanding at anything.

Tanner smith - solid one on one. Disposal and decision making a little off.

Duffy - doesn't have the tank to run out a full game. Tried hard but was largely ineffective. Missed an easy shot cause he was stuffed from running to take the mark.

Ballard is a big unit with clean hands. His bullocking work in the 2nd and 4th quarter kept Peel in it.

Hurley is learning this game very quickly and looks more of a natural forward.

Ethan Hughes and Joshua Deluca can't say I saw them much. To be honest, if I bumped into them in the street I'm not sure is recognize them.

I agree, but he has plenty of time (assuming we keep him) Griffen and Hannath are next in line if needed at the next level so they need to keep their skills and game fitness up.

IMO Jack has shown not much at all his chances at next level, griff can understand though not certain mobile enough at next. IMO if there if there is a chance to get lurch a game or two he should be given them. I'll throw in Weller, Blakley, & Grey in the same boat.

I've just watched a recording of the Peel game. I wont go through all things, I would agree with most of what rgauci said above. Just my thoughts on a couple of players:

Hughes: is really impressing me. He's still off AFL level, in particular I suspect the pace of AFL would murder him. But he's got the body and aptitude for AFL and generally seems to be building a feel for the game nicely. Dropped a few that he should have clunked, but in greasy conditions lots of players did that. Long way to go, but I can see him making it, I really can.

Moller: at the start of this year I would have bet money on him ending up being a failed project, but he's coming on leaps and bounds. Again, still a long long way off AFL, but he's showing signs, no doubt about it. His ruck work is good, his fwd work is getting better (needs to get better marking hands) and it's so tough to be playing in the same team as Hannath (who was terrible) and Griff (who was good in spurts) and in conditions where you'd normally only play 2 of those 3. He's certainly improving.

Crozier: Mixed bag IMHO. Played much deeper in defence than he would at AFL level, I assume that was deliberate. He was OK playing a different role. I would expect more given his pedigree; he was quite good at times, messy at other times.

Bootsma: he would be every bit as good as your Dawson types at AFL level, with the advantage of having a pretty good boot on him. It's becoming a bit of a broken record statement around here now, but I would be amazed if somebody (maybe even us) doesn't throw him a bone with a PSD/Rookie pick. He makes good decisions, plays physical but not messy. Has that lanky reach that KPB need, but is athletic enough to cover a smallish player.

IMO Jack has shown not much at all his chances at next level, griff can understand though not certain mobile enough at next. IMO if there if there is a chance to get lurch a game or two he should be given them. I'll throw in Weller, Blakley, & Grey in the same boat.
Yeah i know, but Ross's main focus is trying to win a premiership, (probably last chance this year). So the priority is keeping the next in line ready to play. He made it quite clear that if we were 3-8 at the beginning of the year he would introduce new players. But we are 11-1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol at the folks on this board writing off young players after just one viewing. I have seen 6 Peel games this season and some of the comments have been ludicrous.

Mzungu has been BOG for Peel last few games. He had a downer today. It happens.

Aside from Griff these are developing kids. Give them time.

Bootsma could probably play 3rd tall. Mcpharlin played on cloke 196cm 108kg and Pearce played on jessie white 196 cm 102 kg.
bootsma 193cm 77kg.

lol at the folks on this board writing off young players after just one viewing. I have seen 6 Peel games this season and some of the comments have been ludicrous.

Mzungu has been BOG for Peel last few games. He had a downer today. It happens.

Aside from Griff these are developing kids. Give them time.
I was trying to find the most respectful way of saying the same thing.

I fully understand that mzungu has been among Peel's best for the past few weeks.My comments were based puely on what I had observed while watching the game on TV. I have always been impressed with Mzungu's hard running (and said so publicly) but today it just didn't appear to be there.

Watching on TV only, I pretty much concur with what RGauci and PapaJ have recently posted but I'll pass on my brief thoughts, mindful that Peel played the top team rebounding from a close loss last week:

Weller was one of the few to show some intent and put the ball in a more attacking position when he disposed of it. Has pace and chase.

Grey is the epitome of the mantra 'gives great effort'. Good to watch.

Vandeleur I thought was serviceable today. Won some contests and generally had neat disposal.

Crozier fiddled around too much in the 1st half and overused the football in the middle when he could have used his penetrating kick. Better player in the 2nd half when he kicked more.

The rest - luckily I follow the weekly posts from others on the Peel games, so I'm not so despondent, but on todays performance only, I would have some worries about the future of the next generation of Fremantle players, though not as much worry as I have about the next generation of umpires. Only two WAFL games this weekend, so I'd hate to think that those umpires out there were amongst the cream of the crop.

Last edited:
Lol delist delist delist! Seriously?! Hard game against one of the best going around without Pig and Clarke who have been leading the way the last couple rounds.
Boys will learn a lot from today.

Very uninspiring game,I can't think of any Freo listed player with anything better than a pass mark.
Pass but not at distinction level Weller,Grey,Ballard and Blakely.
Just a pass mark Hughes,Vandeleur,De luca.Mzungu,Crosier.
Below the pass mark Griff
Abject failure find another school Hannath,Smith,Duffy
Great effort a promising future but in need of extra curricular lessons Hurley and Moller.
Removed to the headmasters office for 6 of the best and 6 months detention the three out there impersonating umpires.
And all those on here who threw out their old toys for the shiny new ones do they want the old ones back.

Last edited:
If the new ones are so shite then Simon Lloyd should be punted to Carlton ASAP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back