Pelchen Goes

Remove this Banner Ad

Need for 'harder edge' in high performance prompts Pelchen to quit Saints

"DEVELOPING a "harder edge" within St Kilda's football department was one of the reasons behind the club's split with head of football Chris Pelchen.

"We've recontracted 19 of our young players now for the next few years, and we want to make sure the environment in which they work in is absolutely uncompromised in the pursuit of excellence in a high-performance sense." Finnis told SEN on Tuesday afternoon.

"[This is] in the way you combine coaching with conditioning with welfare and medical – these all require a high level of expertise in really moulding those different parts of the business together and that's what we see going forward.

"We're really strong, and have been really strong, in strategy and list and recruitment, but we felt that there was a harder edge and a bit more work we could do in terms of our football program itself and that's the change we decided to make."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-21/saints-need-harder-edge

Looks very good on the field in the future even a novice like yourself can see the list has been turned around. We have secured who we want unlike other clubs (Beams Ryder Boyd) players are happy unlike other clubs (Collingwood) Big deal that Pelchen has left for Carlton.

We are that better placed than your disjointed rabble it isn't funny.

"DEVELOPING a "harder edge" within St Kilda's football department was one of the reasons behind the club's split with head of football Chris Pelchen.

"We've recontracted 19 of our young players now for the next few years, and we want to make sure the environment in which they work in is absolutely uncompromised in the pursuit of excellence in a high-performance sense." Finnis told SEN on Tuesday afternoon.

"[This is] in the way you combine coaching with conditioning with welfare and medical – these all require a high level of expertise in really moulding those different parts of the business together and that's what we see going forward.

"We're really strong, and have been really strong, in strategy and list and recruitment, but we felt that there was a harder edge and a bit more work we could do in terms of our football program itself and that's the change we decided to make."

Ridiculous use of 'harder edge'. But sound logic behind the reason to hire a head of football with expertise in coaching, welfare, medical etc.

I mean Pelchen is a list management expert. Particularly a rebuilding expert or at least that's how he's branded. It makes more sense to have someone who knows players, development etc running the footy department than a guy with a limited skill set.

The person who should be sacked first is the common denominator to persistent problems Saints or any other organization is having. Was Pelchen that guy? I honestly don't know.

Resigned after an internal review doesn't read all that well from where I'm sitting. Pretty amazing after all the crap sprouted this time last year after Watters was given the arse. The Doggies gave it crack but nobody does a shambles as well as the Saints.
Who are you then, Ken Expert?

Don't think so. If you want to see a troll you need go no further than your brother in arms Adam H. I on the other hand am genuinely concerned and frustrated that the Saints just can't seem to get their act together, both on and off the field. No need to shoot the messenger for pointing out a few home truths.

Who's to say this wasn't part of the plan and we don't get a better candidate

Could be a lot worse, we could have self destructed a premiership list in its prime and sacked a 3 time premiership coach for an ex-captain with no coaching experience all because he's best mates with the racist club president

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks very good on the field in the future even a novice like yourself can see the list has been turned around. We have secured who we want unlike other clubs (Beams Ryder Boyd) players are happy unlike other clubs (Collingwood) Big deal that Pelchen has left for Carlton.

Yep, Goddard, Dalsanto and Mcevoy were all desperate to stay.

Heck, even Stanley couldn't wait to GTFO after 2 decent games in five years.

Overrated IMHO.

Been saying it since he was appointed.

Made a fair share of mistakes during his tenure too.

Most famous, was on the sub committee that appointed Watters, then behind his sacking & $500K payout.

Always struck me as someone happy to enjoy reflected glory, hawks fans will likely know what I mean.

Wasn't deserving of his pedastal.

If you had any real insight into the club you'd know that all of those players would have stayed, if the decision was based on their love for the club. We we're well compensated for all of them. We got a pick twice as valuable as what we originally paid for Stanley.

But clearly your just a trolling Hack.

All four attended our B&F and left on good terms. The same cant be said for Shaw Didak and Beams. Ball didnt show up either but we all understand he has no morals anyway.

Perhaps a Ross Lyon type would bring better conditioning and oversight of the medical side to the table?
Appeared to in his tenures so far.

All four attended our B&F and left on good terms. The same cant be said for Shaw Didak and Beams. Ball didnt show up either but we all understand he has no morals anyway.
No matter which way you choose to spin it, things are in dire straits down at the Saints. It gives me no pleasure to say it, but it's pretty obvious that the Saints are in for a decade of pain, both on and off the field. It does you no credit to attempt to deflect and lash out at those of us who bear no malice towards St Kilda.

We are merely pointing out some home truths, unpalatable though they may be. You need to face up to it rather than burying your head in the sand. That way the club may be able to move forward.

No matter which way you choose to spin it, things are in dire straits down at the Saints. It gives me no pleasure to say it, but it's pretty obvious that the Saints are in for a decade of pain, both on and off the field. It does you no credit to attempt to deflect and lash out at those of us who bear no malice towards St Kilda.

We are merely pointing out some home truths, unpalatable though they may be. You need to face up to it rather than burying your head in the sand. That way the club may be able to move forward.

Yes of course a whole decade.:drunk:

Last edited:
If he is getting paid out then it is unlikely he voluntarily resigned. Not surprising really. Good riddance to bad rubbish. The timing might seem odd until you factor in Matt Finnis' appointment. It looks like he's cleaning house.

Really?

I've been so hard on my club in recent times, expecting better, especially off field.

I was very critical of the weak Nettlefold/Westaway administration.

I didn't like Pelchen, and think its great Finnis has moved him on.

In light of that decision, we've seemingly got a leader now willing to put the "chief" into CEO. Not afraid to let senior staffers go and replace them with his own team.

We've had the signing of 20 young saints, invested in development & seemingly will continue do so filling this new vacancy.

There is changes in the way the club is dealing with the fans, we've gone from one of the worst, to one of the best.

Overhauling the match day experiences, capitalising on opportunities like the Lenny round.

I'm glad Alan will get someone Neil Balme like in the box, I think he honestly needs it.

I've liked the direction in recent months.

Dire straits is where we've been, I think we've moved onto "vulnerable yet steady" now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back