Opinion Pendlebury going forward? Whaddaya reckon? (Poll added)

Pendlebury going forward, Whaddaya reckon?

• Camp him down there, the lingerie department has been a mess since Mrs Slocum left.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rotate him between the midfield and the forward line like horses on the merry go round

• Pendles the builder. Can he fix it? Yes he can! Forward, back, Peace in the Middle East

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Steelers Wheels ... Stuck in the middle with you

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Something we saw quite a bit of on Saturday arvo was Pendles up in the forward line directing a team-mate "you go that way" and somebody else "You go over there".

He was patting goal kickers on the back and having a chat with them after their successes.

I'm wondering, was our forward line benefitting from having Pendles' leadership?

Is it something we could or should see more of? Does our forwardline need the leadership of somebody like Pendles in there?

All the more so with players like Greenwood and Kennedy yet to come into the side? All the more so having Sidebottom's leadership back in the midfield?

Last edited:
Pendlebury should spend more time forward. Get as many people rotating through the midfield as possible.

If he backed himself in and played a bit more selfishly around goals he could quite easily be a regular 2-3 goal a game player. That may sound like hyperbole but Pendles is an elite reader of the play, his movement is elite and he is an elite kick and he has height, he has all the weapons in his game to really hit the scoreboard hard when resting through the forward line IMO.

I've not really been a fan of our dangerous mids resting forward but upon review I think I can see the benefit.

Pendles I think is labouring under injury and so was Swan last year. But as you say 76, the leadership is helpful there in terms of explaining positioning so the benefit fans out.

We also haven't been winning centre clearances so I actually like giving our inexperienced mids a go at it to build their skills and positional flexibility.

And one more thing is forward threats up forward. There is no doubt our structure has been a bit mad up forward. Pendles helps set-up the structure and himself is extremely strong overhead and as well in positioning. It has given us some variety in terms of options.

We need strong aerial targets and now we have some pretty bloody super ones, think about it. Elliot, Fasolo, Cloke, Pendlebury and with Goey's marking up forward a feature of his game before he was recruited. Now the mantra must be 'take the best option' not the 'best' forward.

Pendles obviously to work in the middle but I don't mind if we use him on the wing (outside the square in centre bounces) or with space to work in up in the forward line. Many benefits to be derived here.

Last edited:
I think it is fantastic, I like Buckley's attitude in giving youngsters midfield time. IMO we are not a top eight side. So developing/fast tracking Broomhead, De Goey, Crisp, Adams, Fasolo, and even throwing Seedsman in that mix as very important in returning CFC back into premiership contention. Loving your work at the moment Bucks!!!

Whether it's through choice or circumstance, I really like how we're using him this year. He's getting less clearances and tackles, but he's using the ball better than ever (career-high disposal efficiency) and kicking more goals and creating more for others (goal assist average has doubled, career-high inside 50 numbers), which indicates to me that he's being used more as a distributor than an inside ball winner, which plays more to his strengths, too. Why get a Ferrari to do the job of a tractor, right?

Getting Levi Greenwood and Brent Macaffer back at some point should open up even more space for Pendles to weave his magic, too. Exciting times.

Pendlebury would be brilliant playing in the forward line. But he is more brilliant in the midfield.

The real problem is that we only have one of him, instead of the 2 we need. Or actually, we want 3, so he can be sweeper across half-back, or actually about 16 of him, so we can play a team of Scotties plus KPDs, KPFs and a ruck.

Whether it's through choice or circumstance, I really like how we're using him this year. He's getting less clearances and tackles, but he's using the ball better than ever (career-high disposal efficiency) and kicking more goals and creating more for others (goal assist average has doubled, career high Inside 50 numbers), which indicates to me that he's being used more as a distributor than an inside ball winner, which plays more to his strengths, too. Why get a Ferrari to do the job of a tractor, right?

Getting Levi Greenwood and Brent Macaffer back at some point should open up even more space for Pendles to weave his magic, too. Exciting times.

Brilliant post this. Pre-game a few weeks ago players were asked to give their favourite/funniest footy adage and both Pendlebury and Sidebottom gave Buck's statement 'let the baker bake the bread.' In other words, let the players play to their strengths.

I reckon you might have picked up on a good point here. Pendlebury's strengths are his usage. I said after the Cats game that given Grundy wasn't winning the taps, Pendles had to work in tighter space than he usually would. He's great in traffic but maybe not in a broom cupboard.

Getting Pendlebury in space and importantly with space to deliver the set-up play - which is perhaps his greatest skill - might be a great move. He can win the ball in close but why not let the bulls feed this f*cking unicorn of the competition so he can keep shitting gold.

Pendlebury would be brilliant playing in the forward line. But he is more brilliant in the midfield.

The real problem is that we only have one of him, instead of the 2 we need. Or actually, we want 3, so he can be sweeper across half-back, or actually about 16 of him, so we can play a team of Scotties plus KPDs, KPFs and a ruck.

He hasn't been winning clearances as per usual and I think that's partly a function of the ruck situation where we don't get the ball with clean air and also Pendlebury having injury/mobility issues.

But while that is happening, why not blood young players in the middle and utilise his smarts up forward. He creates space where there shouldn't be any but there are limits. The more space Pendlebury gets the more damaging he might be and Damon's stats seem to vindicate that view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pendles and his leadership would be invaluable anywhere on the park. But forward of centre is where he should be directing traffic, since there's basically no one up forward in our leadership group.

There is Cloke, but I'm not sure on his actual leadership.

There is Cloke, but I'm not sure on his actual leadership.
I don't actually see Cloke throughout games actually getting to a player and talking tactics or directing traffic like 76 saw with Pendlebury.

With Sidey returning and when Greenwood comes back, pushing Pendles forward is a good option. He not only kicked a few last night but he set up and gave away a few others. If he played more selfishly he could easily have ended up with 5 or 6. I think giving him a break from the close in stuff every now and then will prolong his career.

I liked it and also the fact we had the midfield depth to be able to do that. Probably not a luxury we'll have against quality sides but Pendles will always be cream wherever he plays.

Yeah that about sums up my thoughts on it.

Pendles will be elite anywhere you put him. (at least anywhere except full back). Clearly he is our number 1 midfielder, and he should stay there as much as possible. But we have so many young mids coming through, that it's not a bad option to send Pendles to the forward line and give the youngsters more experience on the ball. It's also an option when he's not 100% fit or needs a breather, or at times when we are desperate for his presence up front... but lets not make it a routine thing, particularly not against top sides.

Pendleton has a good vision of the game unfolding and is capable of a couple of goals a week with large chunks through the middle.

He is also good at getting around his team mates for encouragement.

A tough match up for opposition too.

Worth persisting with for a while as could really prologue his career and fast track our youth.

Well done Bucks for giving it a go.

Maybe Trav up on a wing some times could work too.

I don't care where he plays, where ever it is he will have a great impact on the position he is that much of a gun.
He could play full back and keep his opponent to 0 goals and still rack up 30 touches.

When Levi Greenwood gets back, I reckon he'll be more forward. 3rd type Tall possible?

Back