Pendles and Elliott put paid to silly rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted this in another thread but its more appropriate here.

Very interesting interview on SEN with Dane Swan this afternoon, he confirmed the following:
- group is closer than it has been for a long time.
- the environment NOW encourages young players to contribute and that everyone has a say, not just the same people as occurred before
- young players can contribute without the fear of being ridiculed

When asked if it was true that greater closeness amongst all the group, could be because there were fewer cliques than than in the past, he said yes.

If this is how LT is changing culture at the club - its very encouraging and the pain will be worth it.

So now we have Swan, Elliott and Pendles being positive about the culture. Not surprised the haters have chosen to ignore your post. Not much you can do with facts.

3 signs of a miserable job - the model provided by Patrick Lencioni to the San Antonio Spurs coaching team
signs-model.png

• Anonymity
    People cannot be fulfilled in their work if they are not known. All human beings need to be understood and appreciated for their unique qualities by someone in a position of authority.
  • Irrelevance
    Everyone needs to know that their job matters, to someone. Anyone. Without seeing a connection between the work and the satisfaction of another person or group of people, an employee simply will not find lasting fulfillment.
  • Immeasurement
    Employees need to be able to gauge their progress and level of contribution for themselves. They cannot be fulfilled in their work if their success depends on the opinions or whims of another person.

3 signs of a miserable job - the model provided by Patrick Lencioni to the San Antonio Spurs coaching team
signs-model.png

• Anonymity
    People cannot be fulfilled in their work if they are not known. All human beings need to be understood and appreciated for their unique qualities by someone in a position of authority.
  • Irrelevance
    Everyone needs to know that their job matters, to someone. Anyone. Without seeing a connection between the work and the satisfaction of another person or group of people, an employee simply will not find lasting fulfillment.
  • Immeasurement
    Employees need to be able to gauge their progress and level of contribution for themselves. They cannot be fulfilled in their work if their success depends on the opinions or whims of another person.
Is there a point to this? Its relevance to the thread escapes me.

Is there a point to this? Its relevance to the thread escapes me.
Well yeah, that's Nathan Buckley's job in a nutshell.

If you have a disgruntled player it's because any of those 3 things are missing and that is the direct responsibility of the person in charge of him (his coach). This assumes that lifestyle issues are off the table (money, travel, family, etc)

San Antonio Spurs are considered the strongest sporting organisation in the U.S. now and this was the sole change they made to the organisation that stimulated their success, and that was purely making the coaches understand that they have to take an interest in the personal lives of their players, reinforce to them that what they do really has a positive impact on the lives of others, and be very clear what they need to do specifically in order to succeed and be reminded of that constantly.

When I hear Buckley speak I hear him talking about this (in different words, but with that intent) so I have no doubt he's the man.

Well put. Stick fat & think long term.
If there is a fallout from us being more professional in our approach & vastly fitter then so be it. We need to follow the culture shift through.

Yep. If there is a problem with the standards the playing group set, and let's be clear that's where the standards ARE set, then anyone who can't cope at 500k p.a. can * off and try that at another club. Some posters here don't think there should be expectations placed on players to improve. X and Y are precious birds, who only sap suck or do bloody whirly birds.

The quality teams not only ask their top players to seek to improve in every element of the game, they expect those players to become leaders - to throw the whole bloody lot down for the team. That's exactly what Pendles has stated.

"It always seems to come back to Bucks, which is not right, and it's uneducated for people to think that the senior coach is the one holding every single meeting. There's meetings every day with all the assistant coaches, and with the senior coach his door is always open to any player from me to a young bloke like Tom Langdon.

"If anyone says any different, then it comes back on that player to seek the feedback they're after. If you can't stand up to it then you shouldn't be playing professional sport."

Can you please explain? As I don't recall 'getting most of our players back'.
Well it's quite simple really, during our downfall/horror patch that started with the loss to the Dogs we had a stronger side than we had during our purple patch at the start of the year. And our worst injury situation happened leading up to and during the Brions game, which incidentally was 3 weeks out from the end of the season and not 6/8 weeks out as has been suggested.

I guess. I don't know though. So many departures in SUCH a short time and the way we're playing ON field is what really raises red flags. The players don't PLAY the way their words make them sound. I know it's cliche as f**k but actions speak louder than words and right now, their on field actions don't support the coach as much as their words do.

Except Pendles.

someone else has documented it somewhere but Beams and perhaps Heater are the only departees who I'd count as serious losses. All the others were too old (eg Didak) or not that good (eg Lumumba).

Agree that actions speak louder than words - perhaps the game plan is the issue?

Great to see you aren't denying you pulled the "we were flying before the wheels fell off injury wise" bit out of your clacker.

And good on you for trying to sound high and mighty and hoping no one would notice that :)

We were flying. Not sure what you're getting at. Injuries cursed us all year and became substantially worse at the back end. Not sure what part of that is going straight over your head.

Actually, yes I can.

Posted this in another thread but its more appropriate here.

Very interesting interview on SEN with Dane Swan this afternoon, he confirmed the following:
- group is closer than it has been for a long time.
- the environment NOW encourages young players to contribute and that everyone has a say, not just the same people as occurred before
- young players can contribute without the fear of being ridiculed

When asked if it was true that greater closeness amongst all the group, could be because there were fewer cliques than than in the past, he said yes.

If this is how LT is changing culture at the club - its very encouraging and the pain will be worth it.

When was it on? Not on SEN's Soundcloud account ATM.

Would be interested to listen to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a liar.
Just unreflective of all the recent actions.
In my world, actions speak louder than words.
Be it Mitch Clark choosing another culture as a preference.
Be it your second best player walking out of the club.
I am not naive enough to believe Beams is only walking due to his fathers health.
You are a fool on a fools mission.

When was it on? Not on SEN's Soundcloud account ATM.

Would be interested to listen to it.
I heard it too. Of course you have to take everything a player says about his club with a small grain of salt but he certainly painted a picture of a harmonious and united environment. Basically said there are no cliques anymore and that it's a very open environment where nobody feels afraid to contribute.

I heard it too. Of course you have to take everything a player says about his club with a small grain of salt but he certainly painted a picture of a harmonious and united environment. Basically said there are no cliques anymore and that it's a very open environment where nobody feels afraid to contribute.
And he said it is the best it has been in years

FWIW (another Footy Classified soundbyte) Caro just said that the few young Pie players that she knows "adore Nathan"

Was also interesting how clear the respect Caro and Lyon have for Bucks was, and how quickly both said they think he will be a success. Probably the most interesting thing though, and something I've thought a lot about, is the comments about how different Bucks and Mick are in their approach and whether such a significant change can be implemented without some pain.

It is great to hear players like Pendles and Elliott stand up and defend the club's approach to leadership and leading teams. But therein lies the problem. Leading teams is an extremely polarising way of doing business and motivating people.

People like Pendles and Elliott, from what I read, are extremely hardworking self-motivated guys. Leading teams really rewards these kinds of attitudes, but it creates an environment where people are free to chastise those that aren't motivated in the same ways.

Not everyone responds well to this style of motivation, in fact you will end up alienating a lot of people and creating a 'coaches pet' disgruntlement within a group. Some people need different motivations to get the best out of themselves, these are not being provided at our club at the moment IMO.

Yes our players need to be mature adults, but it if a player has enough talent to get paid to play elsewhere and doesn't like the environment, then he is going to leave. If I were Bucks, I would be looking long and hard at the leading teams garbage and figuring out if it is worth having a team of hard workers with less talent, or being able to find motivation techniques for different personality types and keeping us like Beams.

And he said it is the best it has been in years
Exactly. None the less, unless any of us has a close personal relationship with the players, we have to take everything said publicly with a grain of salt. That however does not make it valid to make assumptions that there is a problem within the playing group just because that's what we happen to perceive. To do that is no more convincing than suggesting that because players have signed contract extensions there are no problems. Where the arguments on this board start is when posters that we all know to be anti-Bucks start stating such things as fact to suit their agenda. It's just so predictable.

Well it's quite simple really, during our downfall/horror patch that started with the loss to the Dogs we had a stronger side than we had during our purple patch at the start of the year. And our worst injury situation happened leading up to and during the Brions game, which incidentally was 3 weeks out from the end of the season and not 6/8 weeks out as has been suggested.
Sorry, just words, does not explain it to me. Too obscure, check the teams playing during that time, you may be wrong.

I'm like most people who are here.... I generally hate Buckley and I still haven't come to terms with the way that he managed to push his way into the job. The Wilson article indicates that tat-loving "tell it like it is' good bloke Dayne Beams has a problem with Leading Teams and it's a pretty fair indication that just about all the players feel that way, except for some of the nerdy blokes like Pendles and Elliot. It looks to me that blokes like Beams wants to see the traditional method of running the club where the coach and the senior players set the agenda, and the youngsters keep their mouths shut ....and thereby keeping all the talking and meeting to a minimum. Hopefully, when we have cleared all the good blokes out of the club and replace them with nerdy guys who want to spend their lives attending meetings, we will be able to get it all together and make a show for the premiership.

I wonder what it would take for people to think there might be a few issues at the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back