Strategy Pendles down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our midfield is so weak that taking Pendles out of it would kill us, we'd get beat by everyone, absolutely everyone.

He's struggling with an injury at the moment, as we all know, so if he was to be placed anywhere else it would be as a forward next to another one being nursed through the rest of the season, Ben Reid.

It didn't kill us against Geelong.

It isn't such a bad idea but I don't think it should be a permanent move.

Buckley mentioned in the post match that it may be something that he can look at every 3 or 4 weeks or in periods of games. I think that's about right.

We have an extremely young back line and I think that leadership down there could be invaluable to their development. Show them how its done.

I think a backline of

Marsh - Brown - Williams
Pendlebury - Reid - Scharenberg

is that high-level, well-balanced defense that can capitalise on our pressure up the ground. If we can force low-quality entries from our midfield pressure, that half-back line has the tools, whether it be composure, strength overhead, foot skills and decision making to read the play and generate damaging turnovers. Marsh and Williams are the guys that can create run-and-carry and collect handball receives coming from the backline, and Brown blankets the opponents best key forward. It addresses a real weak point for us, and that's poor ball movement.

It also gives you that Hawthorn-esque ability to roll about 10 different guys through the centre clearances, as I see Williams, Scharenberg as capable of doing that in time, as well as Elliot and Swan on top of the full-time mids we should already be playing (Crisp, Adams, De Goey, Greenwood, Treloar). That makes you very hard to set up against and so many different player attributes and skill sets naturally gives rise to lots of tactical maneuvering and versatility: a feature of Hawthorns dominance over Sydney in the 2014 GF was the variety in the centre; they used 27 combinations, none more than 3 times, compared to the Swans who used the same set-up 7 times.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-27/gf-tactics-how-the-hawks-got-the-job-done

Wish I had posted in this thread before it needed the Nostradamus tag.

Great call and I think it should remain. In a similar way to how Bucks did it so well during his career. Our midfield gets smashed with Pendles in there anyway so why not add his class to an area that's required more desperately? In the end, guys like Swan and Pendlebury are great footballers, but I've never really thought they were the best of the best pure midfielders. As in those guys that read the ball off the ruck consistently and win the centre clearances. That's what we need more of, which is why we need Dangerfield in there.

I think adding Pendlebury's evasiveness and decision making in the backline is a great move. Make it permanent with stints through the middle only IF required.

I think a backline of

Marsh - Brown - Williams
Pendlebury - Reid - Scharenberg

is that high-level, well-balanced defense that can capitalise on our pressure up the ground. If we can force low-quality entries from our midfield pressure, that half-back line has the tools, whether it be composure, strength overhead, foot skills and decision making to read the play and generate damaging turnovers. Marsh and Williams are the guys that can create run-and-carry and collect handball receives coming from the backline, and Brown blankets the opponents best key forward. It addresses a real weak point for us, and that's poor ball movement.

It also gives you that Hawthorn-esque ability to roll about 10 different guys through the centre clearances, as I see Williams, Scharenberg as capable of doing that in time, as well as Elliot and Swan on top of the full-time mids we should already be playing (Crisp, Adams, De Goey, Greenwood, Treloar). That makes you very hard to set up against and so many different player attributes and skill sets naturally gives rise to lots of tactical maneuvering and versatility: a feature of Hawthorns dominance over Sydney in the 2014 GF was the variety in the centre; they used 27 combinations, none more than 3 times, compared to the Swans who used the same set-up 7 times.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-27/gf-tactics-how-the-hawks-got-the-job-done

Pendlebury will never be a permanent part of the back six. He is a premium mid. Against Geelomg he sat off the back of the contest, he still had the freedom to roam where needed.

Great call and I think it should remain. In a similar way to how Bucks did it so well during his career. Our midfield gets smashed with Pendles in there anyway so why not add his class to an area that's required more desperately? In the end, guys like Swan and Pendlebury are great footballers, but I've never really thought they were the best of the best pure midfielders. As in those guys that read the ball off the ruck consistently and win the centre clearances. That's what we need more of, which is why we need Dangerfield in there.

I think adding Pendlebury's evasiveness and decision making in the backline is a great move. Make it permanent with stints through the middle only IF required.
I think the game is getting driven more and more from HB and rebounding / counter attack which is why in my opinion he will be perfect down there. not to mention it would probably add another 2 years to his football career.

I think the game is getting driven more and more from HB and rebounding / counter attack which is why in my opinion he will be perfect down there. not to mention it would probably add another 2 years to his football career.

If we could clone him, perhaps. But no chance in hell youd play him back on more than an occasional basis

Pendlebury will never be a permanent part of the back six. He is a premium mid. Against Geelomg he sat off the back of the contest, he still had the freedom to roam where needed.
Absolutely correct. Big difference playing at half back on a designated opponent or playing behind the ball. Statistics still showed that Pendlebury spent about 20% forward of the ball and 80% of the time in the back half of the ground. That mix will go up or down depending on who our opponent is, but that doesn't mean the coaching staff at Collingwood are intending to turn Pendlebury into a back man.

I'm with you brother. Our midfield needs more extractors...Pendles is not really one of those and he almost always gets a pretty hard tag. The boy is getting older, let him float around the backline , cleaning up any mess that occurs and then delivering with precision to a player upfield...

I'm with you brother. Our midfield needs more extractors...Pendles is not really one of those and he almost always gets a pretty hard tag. The boy is getting older, let him float around the backline , cleaning up any mess that occurs and then delivering with precision to a player upfield...

Works for Hodge

Works for Hodge
Hodgey!!!!!!!

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAMpAAAAJGFlNjk5NTM1LWUzZjctNDMwYi1iNDc3LWIwNGVhYTUwMjIxYQ.jpg

Ok, so not that bad but what an arsehole & the club doesn't suspend him.

Who is Clarkson?
Some capable coach that had Jeff flicked when ge wanted too, we'd all be saying who the hell is clarkson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back to this.. Do you think Bucks will persist with this move in 2016 especially if we get Treloar?

I kind of hope he doesn't to be honest, i think Essendon did it once or twice but teams will start to realise it and drag Pendles back to the goal square. I don't want him there at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back