Perth Drivers are absolutley s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

I used the freeway during the middle of the day today, which is not something I do often. Being that time of day, it was relatively quiet. As I approached the merge point shortly after the Murray St on ramp, I was about 20 m or so behind two other cars, which were closer together. Traffic in my lane and the lane to the right was travelling at roughly the same speed, and there were bugger all cars on the road. A car in the lane to my right could have easily merged in front of me, and we all could have kept driving along as we were.

Nope, this car decided he needed to accelerate towards the merge point despite the car in front of me having right of way. The car in front of me accelerated to beat the guy on the right, before braking because he clearly hadn't been watching the car in front of him. The car to the right also then braked, and the two of them ended up merging about 20 or 30 km/h slower than they were originally travelling, while I also had to slow down to avoid getting too close to the both of them.

I'm so glad I don't often go through freeway merge points when there is actually a lot of traffic on the road.

It's been a while since I got my license, do instructors actually teach merging?

It's been a while since I got my license, do instructors actually teach merging?
I remember when I got my license the only thing the examiner pulled me up on was to speed up quickly if you are pulling put in front of other traffic. Haven't forgotten it since, but it seems that not everyone is told about that.

Ha Ha - Give it a few years young lady. 110 is pedestrian. There really is no difference between say 110 and 130 on the open road.

Exactly, in fact with the fatigue of long drives and people constantly staring at the speedo's being more relaxed on the speeding rules would be a good thing.

Got done for 117 in a 110 going downhill in an overtaking lane by cops. Honestly 7km, give me a break.

If you cant understand a roundabout give back your license ASAP

Exactly, in fact with the fatigue of long drives and people constantly staring at the speedo's being more relaxed on the speeding rules would be a good thing.

Driving requires concentration, if you cannot maintain a steady speed for a long period of time you should take a break or hand back your license.

Nearly got cleaned up this morning by some peanut who decided after exiting the Freeway South at Mounts Bay Road that he would cut across the middle of the striped bit that divides the lanes and towards my front left.

carcrashha3.jpg

I'm the red, he/she is the yellow.

Gotta love Perth drivers.:rolleyes:

Nearly got cleaned up this morning by some peanut who decided after exiting the Freeway South at Mounts Bay Road that he would cut across the middle of the striped bit that divides the lanes and towards my front left.

carcrashha3.jpg

I'm the red, he/she is the yellow.

Gotta love Perth drivers.:rolleyes:
That is the same divider thing that bloke cut accross to stalk me! Going onto mounts bay road though..

Did you let him in, or speed up and cut him off?

That is the same divider thing that bloke cut accross to stalk me! Going onto mounts bay road though..

Did you let him in, or speed up and cut him off?

I accelerated as I was going at the speed of the traffic which was faster than he was travelling. If I'd slowed down to let him in he probably would have also slowed down and hit me side on.

Intersections like this are on camera 24/7 at main roads HQ. People like this deserve to have their rego taken and hefty fines and the loss of demerit points issued. I was fined $150 and lost 2 points for doing 77 km/h in what I thought was an 80 zone (which is *apparently* 60, despite no signs for a good few km and the remainder of the road being 90) along Dixon Rd Rockingham, where the road is a dual carriageway going through an industrial (ie non residential) area, yet peanuts who cut across areas of Perth's major arterial road where you are not allowed to drive get into off scot free. A bit of consistency in what is considered dangerous wouldn't go astray.

I accelerated as I was going at the speed of the traffic which was faster than he was travelling. If I'd slowed down to let him in he probably would have also slowed down and hit me side on.

Intersections like this are on camera 24/7 at main roads HQ. People like this deserve to have their rego taken and hefty fines and the loss of demerit points issued. I was fined $150 and lost 2 points for doing 77 km/h in what I thought was an 80 zone (which is *apparently* 60, despite no signs for a good few km and the remainder of the road being 90) along Dixon Rd Rockingham, where the road is a dual carriageway going through an industrial (ie non residential) area, yet peanuts who cut across areas of Perth's major arterial road where you are not allowed to drive get into off scot free. A bit of consistency in what is considered dangerous wouldn't go astray.

Dixon Rd? Are you talking about the very start of it, down near where all the train lines are? If so, I think it's 70. Near the bush area (where there's kangaroos and stuff living). Heading away from Kwinana?

Was at uni yesterday, and my mate was parked in a side street. Anyway, she drives a Festiva, so she was quite close to the front of the car park. She had to go pay for some more parking, but before she put her ticket in her car, we stood and watched some dumb s**t guy in a 4WD attempt for parallel park...it took him about 10 times (I'm not exagerating either) to get INTO the carpark, then a further 5 to "straighten up", as well as scraping the back of my friend's car. She just looked at him and he just smiled. The least he could've done was apologise.

If you can't bloody park a 4WD you shouldn't drive one!!!

I had similar issues when I drive my Berlina...big cars are an absolute bastard to parallel park, particularly since rear visibility in commodores is similar to 4WDs if not worse. Conversely, my work Corolla zips right in.

I never hit another car though

Ohhh Berlina's are hot! My old manager (he was a year older then me) owns one and he let me drive it. Must admit, it didn't feel as big as I expected it to be...compared to my other mate's Magna! Geez, they're a bitch to drive. Had to sit on a cushion to see over the dash :eek:

haha...they are great cars though. I don't want to sell mine but will since I have a work car now :(

I tried to convince my other half to drive it and sell her Accent but she doesn't like it - she feels she's driving a tank.

Fair enough, my work Corolla feels like a go-kart

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People take driving like a massive race, but in a continuous line of traffic there are no winners, only arseholes who are too bloody selfish to let you in.

One time some hick jumped out of his navara and punched my passenger side window because he thought I cut him off, the fact that I was in the right lane and we were approaching red lights didn't seem to register. I ddn't give him any reaction, just stoicism. He then proceeded to stalk me down the freeway from south st to mounts bay road, speeding up to drive alongside me to yell abuse, then getting in front of me and slowing down. All the while I didn't react to his provocations until the last minute when I gave him the cry baby motion and kisses goodbye as I was turning off at mounts bay road. He turned accross a line of trafic and over the raised paint of the freeway exit slip and then followed me around perth for a few blocks. It was a bit creepy.

This reminds me of a video clip on youtube explaining how back in the day Australians prided themselves on not letting s**t bother them and if anyone wanted to start looking for fights in an act of road rage they'd be locked up in a mental institution.

I have tried hard to refrain from whinging about bad drivers, but I couldn't help it from my experienced on Monday - public holiday driving at it's best.

Examples included idiots who can't merge onto the freeway at 100 then crawl along at 90, being stuck in a long queue on Armadale Road because some knob was crawling along at 70 in the 90 zone, and on Tonkin Hwy I made the move to overtake a vehicle in front of me doing 90 in the 100 zone to make the car go at 100 successfully. I didn't have any problems overtaking the freeway slowcoaches but Armadale Rd in Forrestdale is impossible to make overtaking manouveres.

My new whinge, pedestrians...

I am in the university carpark, I find a spot on the left hand side of me, so I swing the car out to create enough angle to park staright. Blonde girl who was walking along on the other side of the road about 10m away immediatly knocks on the car window as I park, complaining about my attempts to "run-down" her and here friends. Im trying not to laugh, explaining why I swung out to get into the parking bay, but she wouldnt have a bar of it. Anyway, her car is pretty close to mine, parked at a horrible angle with one tyre completely out of her car bay.

Honestly:rolleyes:

75% of drivers in Perth wouldn't get a drivers licence in Germany [or most European countries]. Guaranteed.

I lived in Germany for few years and got my licence there. I had to work my arse for it. My mum, who I love dearly, is a hazard on the road. She couldn't get the drivers licence in neither Yugoslavia or Germany, but got it at the first attempt here [thank God she's not driving anymore]. That's when I worked out that there's a flaw in this system. Very basic skill like merging seems to be too difficult for too many drivers on Perth roads. Government however, either doesn't recognise this, or they chucked it in the too-hard-basket and just keep with the empty rhetoric to slow down, speed kills, vipe off 5, bla bla bla. I certainly remember my first theory class in Germany where at the beginning the instructor says that "inability to properly drive a car when behind the wheel is very dangerous". He's right. People not able to drive a car at 120 kph in a safe manner shouldn't have a licence.

Pedestrians are much like cyclists - inept. The only difference is pedestrians don't think they are cars.

Why can't people in Perth merge? I've never understood why people have so much difficulty with this concept - it really isn't that complicated, is it?

Had to drive up to the deep North last night (yuck) about 6, and everyone just accelerates up to about 80 or so and cruises along, then suddenly brakes to a near halt once the next exit approaches, regardless of what lane they are in. It's almost as though everyone says 's**t - merging traffic - I have to stop or someone will hit me', despite the fact that for the most part the Mitchell Fwy is a 3 lane road and only the outer left lane merges. Bizarre.

It's probably a bad thing that everytime I open this thread I expect to see a reply about some ________ P plater in a white Festiva.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back