Perth Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you spoken out about Geelong? Essendon at Docklands? Anzac Day?

I agree that booked out stadiums are a problem for the game but it's a problem nationally NOW.

WA needs the new facility to draw tourists & it can do it on the back of our game IF visiting team members/fans are catered for - it strengthens the WAFC claims to manage the stadium.

Agree, all stadia need to guarantee a minimum away member attendance.

Still remember us getting 200 at Geelong during their redevelopment

The money could be better well spent on Perth's terrible roads, but #### it, us footy fans need comfort before such trivial matters.

The need to buy two beers a qrt without delays is paramount to better traffic control in this city.

The money could be better well spent on Perth's terrible roads, but #### it, us footy fans need comfort before such trivial matters.

The need to buy two beers a qrt without delays is paramount to better traffic control in this city.
Go back to commenting on Perth Now

But what about the hospitals? WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?

If only a few more WCE & Dockers supporters thought this way.

It really seems that, the so many want it to be big enough for their clubs members & no more.
Which is such a pathetic way of thinking.

I haven't heard many people say that.

If anything the common complaint is that it's too small already.

Nobody sitting inside the stadium on their wide seat (with cup-holder) and decent view over the turf is going to worry what it looks like on the outside.
Yeah good point. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that WA wanted a Porsche and not a Toyota. I think having a great looking stadium is part of that, Adelaide have pulled it off excellently, walking up to the stadium you get a fantastic fell of what the stadium is all about and that your in for a special night. To me it looks likes it's underachieving, this stadium could look ten better. This stadium we'll be the crown jewel in Western Australia's sporting crown and I think it should look that way.

Yeah good point. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that WA wanted a Porsche and not a Toyota. I think having a great looking stadium is part of that, Adelaide have pulled it off excellently, walking up to the stadium you get a fantastic fell of what the stadium is all about and that your in for a special night. To me it looks likes it's underachieving, this stadium could look ten better. This stadium we'll be the crown jewel in Western Australia's sporting crown and I think it should look that way.

I think it will be only when the thing is up we'll be able to tell whether it looks good, or crap. I don't think the models and artists impressions can really convey that right now. It might look good, it might look ordinary.

I think the design is deliberately conservative engineering wise to guard against cost blow-outs during construction. They are trying to make up for the conservative design with some "striking" visual cosmetic dressing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. I think they should make it as big as they intend (80,000) and if it doesn't fill up, it doesn't. It's not like the MCG fills up every week, but it has the space when it needs it. The problem we have now is that it is a sellout most weeks. If 10,000 supporters from the east made regular trips over, it would be great for WA as a whole.

I understand from an economic point of view that selling most seats each week means the stadium is running at peak capacity, but considering that this stadium will be there for 100 years - much like the G and Subi before it - then it makes sense to spend the money now and do the job properly.

If it is built for 60,000 (roughly the current WCE membership + in the wings members), then in a few years time, we could be in the same position we are now. Whilst there won't be 60,00 WCE members sign up immediately - a lot have these memberships precisely because they are limited - WCE don't have 3 game memberships, or other packages, and we don't have many thousands of people coming from the east because there isn't the space currently. The population has increased a lot in the last 15 years, there may be other booms in the coming years that will pump up the numbers even more.

I love the new Adelaide Oval. Great location and history with the old scoreboard and fig trees combined with the new towering stands. But looks wise it's a dog's breakfast and has the "factory" look from the outside like the MCG (not trying to say it's ugly). The new Perth Stadium is something completely different appearance wise, I'm not sure how you can say it's underachieving based off a few renders which I think make it look a lot smaller and less imposing than it will walking up to it once it's built.

As for the looks, I know it's subjective but if you don't think this is a "great looking stadium" then you must have incredibly high standards.

The%20new%20Perth%20Stadium%20and%20Sports%20Precinct.%20Amphitheatre.jpg

If it is built for 60,000 (roughly the current WCE membership + in the wings members), then in a few years time, we could be in the same position we are now. Whilst there won't be 60,00 WCE members sign up immediately - a lot have these memberships precisely because they are limited - WCE don't have 3 game memberships, or other packages, and we don't have many thousands of people coming from the east because there isn't the space currently. The population has increased a lot in the last 15 years, there may be other booms in the coming years that will pump up the numbers even more.

I think 60,000 will turn out to be the right size for the next 10-15 years at least. But I hate the look/atmosphere of half empty stadiums whereas perhaps others don't mind so much. I think the balance will shift a bit with regards to memberships as for the last 15 years you've really had to have one to get a seat which has made people hang onto them when perhaps they wouldn't have otherwise. We'll see though, perhaps another 5000 seats would have been nice but I would prefer to err on the side of a bit small than a bit big.

One view is about what's best for footy, others can't see past their club. Building a stadium that is bigger, bigger must result in lower returns to the clubs, to WA footy, the MCG scenario at best.

One view is about what's best for footy, others can't see past their club. Building a stadium that is bigger, bigger must result in lower returns to the clubs, to WA footy, the MCG scenario at best.
I read the other day that the MCG tenants receive approx. 80c for every $1 that the stadium brings in.

If the MCG can do that then I'm sure a stadium with a 70,000 capacity should be able to.

As I posted before, (imo) we don't need a MCG size stadium (100,000) but we probably need more than 60,000

For the general football fan (those who don't/can't be members) and the economy (interstate tourists)

I read the other day that the MCG tenants receive approx. 80c for every $1 that the stadium brings in.

If the MCG can do that then I'm sure a stadium with a 70,000 capacity should be able to.

As I posted before, (imo) we don't need a MCG size stadium (100,000) but we probably need more than 60,000

For the general football fan (those who don't/can't be members) and the economy (interstate tourists)

You'd need to quote a source my friend on the MCG, it's just over 50 cents - better than Docklands but when leeches like the MCC are involved competing clubs are well down the food chain.
Got a link? No way Jose !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back