Peru/Bolivia

Remove this Banner Ad

Spent 3 months total in both countries and never felt unsafe. Of course these countries can be unsafe, and crimes such as pickpocketing and muggings probably occurs more frequently there, but generally if you look for trouble you'll find it. Keep your wits about you and just use common sense. A few tips to keep safer:

• To help prevent pickpocketing either don't have things in your pockets or wear shorts/pants with zipped pockets
  • Don't trust anyone, no matter how friendly they seem. It can mean they're trying to catch you off guard and lull you into a false sense of security while a companion mugs you.
  • Don't accept any offers of any kind. If you want something, get it on your own accord.
  • Don't show off belongings that you wouldn't want to lose. i.e don't give anyone a target.
  • Travel with someone if possible
  • Bag slashings can occur where items are grabbed as fast as possible. So keep expensive/irreplaceable items closest to your back in your backpack, and lesser valuable items on the outer, so if your backpack is slashed they'll just grab clothes or whatever you have put there.
  • Try not to keep large amounts of cash on you, and spread it around if possible. E.g Some in your wallet, some in your toiletries, some with your passport or whatever. Don't put all your eggs in one basket basically.
  • Do not say yes to drugs. Drugs are very accessible in both countries and Peru in particular is cracking down on drugs use by tourists. You'll most likely be offered drugs quite often, taxi drivers especially. Do not say yes. Know where it is coming from if you are going to seek it out (I'd be a hypocrite if I told you not to do any), but if you have any doubts always say no.
Obviously most of it is just common sense. Follow these things and you'll only be extremely unlucky if anything happened. If you would like any other tips or info I'd be happy to help especially with things to do etc :)

did you need a yellow fever card and needle?

I was there in April-May last year.

This was part of an overlanding tour (Dragoman) I did so all transportation was in our purpose built truck.
I got the yellow fever shot but I can't remember if I needed that in general of because I went to the Amazon
Knowing some basic spanish with help a fair bit. I picked up some helpful stuff while over there but we all relied heavily of those who spoke it well
Never felt unsafe but being 6ft and solidly built helps.

Loved Peru. Went through the following-
Huacachina. Burning around in dune buggies and sand boarding followed by camping out in the desert. One of the best experiences I've had
Colca Canyon. Condors with 3m wingspans circling within meters of the crowd
Arequipa. Ice mummy Juanita (as long as she's not hidden foe maintenance) and tried eating guinea pig for the first time
Cuzco. Really cool city to stroll around plus starting point to the main attraction of Peru
Inka Trek. Most rewarding thing I've ever done

Bolivia had some amazing highlights but overall I liked Peru more. While there I went to-
Copacobana. Climb the hill to watch sunset over Lake Titicaca. Stunning
La Paz. Just a sprawling city but from there you can do a day trip, mountain biking down THE DEATH ROAD featured Top Gear and Hamish and Andy
(just dont crash or you'll also get to see the inside of a Bolivian medical clinic like I did). I went with Gravity Downhill, very happy with that choice
Potosi. Going down into a working mine was really cool. Definitely not for the claustrophobic
Salar de Uyuni. Massive salt flat where you can take cool perspective bending photos. Train graveyard is worth a look too

The_Todd07 we had pretty much the exact same itineraries! (didn't make it to Potosi).

did you need a yellow fever card and needle?

Yeah, but I went to the Amazon as well.

I really wouldn't let any of this determine whether you go or not though. Like The Todd has pointed out, there are so many unique and amazing things to see and do that you literally cannot do anywhere else. Just in general though, Bolivia is about twice as cheap (currency wise) as Peru, and overall Peru is therefore a little less poor (this is a very general statement). As such, Bolivia is cheaper but then quality of a lot of things is less than Peruvian equivalents. Transport is a big one in this regard (mainly buses). But then that has an upside too. It means if you do want to venture out into the Amazon, for example, it is much more affordable than if you do so in Peru.

Spent around 6 months total in South America a few years back, Peru and Bolivia are sensational.

As mentioned above, they are not really 'safe' places, but I didn't encounter any troubles in my whole time in South America. Some people I met on my travels were mugged etc., but generally as a result of doing something stupid, like wandering down alley ways alone at night time. If you stick to groups and keep your wits about you, i.e. steer clear of isolated places, you should be fine.

I also had Yellow Fever shots, and had the card with me, but was never asked for it anywhere. I also spent a bit of time in the Amazon and can't remember if that was why it was required.

Similar travel routes to The_Todd07. Machu Picchu at sunrise before it gets inundated with thousands of tourists is absolutely incredible, words can't describe it. Huacachina from the top of the dunes at sunrise is also gorgeous. I also took a light plane out over the Nazca lines which was pretty cool.

One last thought, if you take overnight buses, they somehow transform them into giant freezers on wheels. Make sure you have appropriate warm clothing in a backpack on board.

Well worth checking out South America. Bolivia and Peru are great. Just maintain a basic sense of security and common sense and you'll have an amazing time.

Definitely learn some Spanish before you go if travelling solo!

Was in Peru for about three weeks three years ago. Loved it. But I really just did the typical tourist trail (except I am too unfit to walk the Inca trail). Lima - Nazca - Arequipa (nice city in its own right plus the jumping off point for Colca Canyon, spectacular even without including condors) - Puno (Lake Titicaca) - Cuzco - Macchu Picchu.

Saw a money changer get his bag snatched first day in Lima. The guy was caught within minutes. Was followed in Arequipa until the guy realised I had spotted him, then he backed off. Other than that, no incidents of any kind.

As other have said, keep your cards and cash in multiple places. A little cash and a card in your wallet to cover food, drinks, etc; some in the daypack and some where you are staying is good enough. Really, provided you stick to safe areas, and keep your eyes open, its no worse than most places. Just don't offer obvious temptation, like pulling a wallet stuffed with big notes, wearing an expensive watch, etc, and you're unlikely to be bothered.
Its mostly opportunism. If you look like you are watching your stuff, the problem will be someone else's.

Do not accept drugs. There is reportedly a scam in Cuzco where the police will (for a kickback) arrest the buyer, and hand the drugs back to the dealer. Only the tourist is arested, the police get an arrest and a bribe and everyone is happy.

Basic Spanish will help, but is not really a necessity (thankfully).

Not a lot of trains, but the premium bus service is pretty good (except for the loud movies dubbed into Spanish). Noise cancelling headphones might be a wise investment unless you love Drew Barrymore flicks.
Keep an eye on your case/pack at bus stations and the like. Often you'll check your bag in like at an airport, but there have been reports of people at interim stops walking off with what were obviously tourists bags.

If you are confident travelling in other non-first world countries, Peru will be no big deal from a safety or getting around perspective. You may need to use taxis at times within cities, local transport can be difficult to work out and probbaly not worth the effort for the average gringo on a time/cost basis. Others will have a different perspective on that though.

Food is (almost) universally awesome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back