Pet Sounds V Sgt Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
I am fanatic Beatles and Beach Boys fan and have been mulling over this for about 20 years now. In my early 20's I felt that Sgt Pepper was superior to Pet sounds. Having listened to Sgt Pepper recently in its entirety I've swung the other way and think that Pet Sounds has it covered by a mile.

I think that Sgt Pepper is really good concept album with the standouts being A Day in the life, She's Leaving Home, Lucy in the Sky and Getting better. Overall I think Pet Sounds has far more quality songs such as Wouldnt it be Nice, God Only knows, Caroline No, Here Today, I just wasn't made for these times, Sloop John B and You still believe in me.

I don't like comparing the two albums as Mcartney himself has said that Pet Sounds inspired him and the Beatles to write Sgt Pepper. Brian Wilson has said that Rubber Soul inspired him to write Pet Sounds. Just feel that Sgt Pepper is a little overated and dated a bit whilst Pet Sounds still easily stands the test of time

Thoughts??

I own every album by The Beatles and would say that while I love loads of their songs, there is not one album that does not have some fillers.

Truly great band, but I prefer Pet Sounds. I find myself skipping songs on Beatles albums, but not so much on Beach Boys albums.

Exile on Main Street

/close thread
Vastly overrated.

Let it Bleed, Beggars Banquet and Sticky Fingers are comfortably ahead of it. And I'd give serious thought to putting Aftermath and Their Satanic's ahead of it too.

Last edited:
Vastly overrated.

Let it Bleed, Beggars Banquet and Sticky Fingers are comfortably ahead of it. And I'd give serious thought to putting Aftermath and Their Satanic's ahead of it too.
That's the thing with the Stones - so much greatness coming out from them in the late 60s and early 70s.

FWIW Pet Sounds shits all over Sgt Peppers and anything The Beatles did. Best Beatles albums for mine are the white album and Abbey Road but both contain a lot of filler tracks - best albums are all killer, no filler.

I am curious to know as to why McCartney claims Pet Sounds inspired Sgt Pepper but it did not inspire Revolver. Revolver was released nearly three months after Pet Sounds. Only thing I can think of is that perhaps The Beatles had already recorded most of Revolver by the time they first heard Pet Sounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have both albums and I'm not a huge fan of either. There are some great songs on both, God Only Knows, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Caroline No and Sgt. Peppers to name a few, but there is also some genuine crap which has to be close to worst songs these bands ever created. Songs like Lovely Rita, Let's Go Away For A While, Mr. Kite! and That's Not Me just don't do anything for me.

It all starts to get a bit boring when threads like this become a " I can name way better bands than The Beatles" thread.

I listened to The Village Green Preservation Society just a couple of weeks ago. Great album, but there is a reason that The Beatles are held in a greater esteem than The Kinks.

I've never listened to the whole Pet Sounds album, though I know a few songs from it.

But it's certainly true that Sgt Pepper carries an aura about it that is far greater than the album actually is.

As John Lennon said of Pepper, "It was called the first concept album. It doesn't go anywhere, but it worked because we said it worked."

Before people call Sgt Pepper overrated, take a look at the track list and think how many songs most people still know almost 50 years later. Only track that never did it for me is "good morning good morning".

A1 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
A2 With A Little Help From My Friends
A3 Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
A4 Getting Better
A5 Fixing A Hole
A6 She's Leaving Home
A7 Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite
B1 Within You Without You
B2 When I'm Sixty-Four
B3 Lovely Rita
B4 Good Morning Good Morning
B5 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
B6 A Day In The Life

Haven't heard Pet Sounds enough times to compare. Has some great tracks though.

It all starts to get a bit boring when threads like this become a " I can name way better bands than The Beatles" thread.

I listened to The Village Green Preservation Society just a couple of weeks ago. Great album, but there is a reason that The Beatles are held in a greater esteem than The Kinks.

That album was the Godfather of all Britpop Albums. It is the precursor the the whole Britpop phenomenon that was still to come. Music written and based around being British.

That's why its a far better album than Sgt Peppers. By a long way.

I've never listened to the whole Pet Sounds album, though I know a few songs from it.

But it's certainly true that Sgt Pepper carries an aura about it that is far greater than the album actually is.

As John Lennon said of Pepper, "It was called the first concept album. It doesn't go anywhere, but it worked because we said it worked."

This is what helped the aura of the Beatles become the monster it did and still is.

Even if a statement is blatantly false like the bolded part if it is repeated enough people reading it start thinking it's a fact.

This is what helped the aura of the Beatles become the monster it did and still is.

Even if a statement is blatantly false like the bolded part if it is repeated enough people reading it start thinking it's a fact.
Lennon was quite the fan of his own intellect and didnt mind stating so. Repeatedly. Brilliant songwriter it has to be said.
With Brian, you got what it says on the tin. Bloke played piano in a giant sandbox.
Tony Asher, who co-wrote some of Pet Sounds was quoted as (perhaps a bit harshly) as saying
" Brian Wilson. Genius musician. Amateur human being":D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back