Peter Gardner- China Death Penalty Trial(Ice Trafficking)

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll do what we should do with any other country when one of our citizens is on trial for any crime. Observe the trial, comment diplomatically if we feel it is unjust, and generally respect that nations laws, just as we would hope they would respect ours if the situation was reversed.

Unless it's someone of high government importance China would not give a * if Australia executed one of their citizens for drug trafficking. That is obviously a hypothetical considering Australia don't.

Like the Singaporeans with Van Nguyen, the Chinese don't have cameras in the jail every other day, and we don't get to know the condemned as we did Chan, and Sukamarian. It somehow becomes more detached, and dispassionate.

True. Executed quickly with no human interest angle, he is an evil drug dealer who is just sorry he got caught. Execute him 10 years later where he is noticeably more mature, is doing some good and rehabilitation is more likely AND have media access to tell the story, it's tougher to process.

Having said that, I will still feel that anxiety and anguish that goes with someone knowing exactly when they are going to die and being powerless to stop it, even if I know less about him.

Has he actually been given the death sentence? I saw some stuff when the trial started but nothing much since about the outcome.

golden hair james and charters really stitched him up yeah

I did think it would be ironic if there were a link as soon as I saw the word peptide.

Doubt it though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if you believe the story about the peptides and first run, I can organise you some supplements from charters and hird. (intentional plural on dr.ageless)

Not saying I believe it.
You just have to wonder how people end up in this crap.

Drugs are bad m'kay.

Will we withdraw our ambassador?

Or is that something reserved for nations like Indonesia?

Where exactly is the outrage and media driven frenzy about this?

I'd say the media are letting the case run its course and hoping for a non death sentence. China can't be seen to lose face over it.

We know how the over reporting and political discussions made public didn't help the executed in Indonesia.

DFAT will no doubt be keeping a close eye on proceedings, but even then they are powerless to overturn Chinese law.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back