News Peter Jackson appointed CEO until end 2015 - extended to 2016

This deal would have been miles off with schwab still here
There would have been an exodus if Schwab was still there both in club staff/players and members/supporters. That guy implemented a regime and mindset that went against the very competitive nature of sport and that is before the micromanaging.

640MD

Debutant
Feb 20, 2011
Elwood
AFL Club
Melbourne
I did not understand the need for a solid professional CEO. We have been extraordinarily lucky

and thanks to the AFL for getting Jackson. We should thank him from the bottom of our hearts

and wallets with Memberships in 2014, The steps of Jackson, Roos, Assistant understudy, perhaps 4-6

(Quality) Midfielders The only way is UP.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Agreed I would be really disappointed if our membership didnt boom next year. Time to see people finally back our club in to be professional and have a much better season.

Agreed I would be really disappointed if our membership didnt boom next year. Time to see people finally back our club in to be professional and have a much better season.

Can you really blame people for not signing up this year, though?

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Can you really blame people for not signing up this year, though?
No....and i'm not sure it said that?? I'm talking of next year....I know our last few years have been horrible, but now that PJ and the team have landed probably one of the better coaches in the league I would like to see the supporters back the team and sign up.

Jaseon

Rookie
May 2, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
No....and i'm not sure it said that?? I'm talking of next year....I know our last few years have been horrible, but now that PJ and the team have landed probably one of the better coaches in the league I would like to see the supporters back the team and sign up.

Agreed. We managed to get our highest ever tally of 35,000 when Mark Neeld was signed. Surely this news points to 40k!

Yeah no I agree, and I'm sorry it came across as though I was attacking you. I guess it was more of a statement than a question of something you'd said haha. Definitely more encouraging times ahead, and people will have a reason to sign up, as opposed to a reason not to.

Viney

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2006
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jackson's vision is for us to not be an Essendon / Collingwood (in terms of size), his vision is for us to maximise what we have and become a strong cultured boutique style club who can get the most out of membership / dollars etc

Jackson's vision is for us to not be an Essendon / Collingwood (in terms of size), his vision is for us to maximise what we have and become a strong cultured boutique style club who can get the most out of membership / dollars etc

I like this approach. It means I can follow a successful club but not have to sit next to some random every week at the G.

Melbourne - the introvert's choice.

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was having a chat with a guy I work with today that knows PJ pretty well.

He said PJ told him that this was the easiest job he's ever been asked to do. Our previous system was so wrong in every single way that it was bleedingly obvious to him how he could improve things. Our structures were terrible. We had guys doing very small tasks and getting paid big money to do it.

On Neeld he said he just could not understand how he could make it through the interview process. Basically knew nothing about being an AFL senior coach.

Was having a chat with a guy I work with today that knows PJ pretty well.

He said PJ told him that this was the easiest job he's ever been asked to do. Our previous system was so wrong in every single way that it was bleedingly obvious to him how he could improve things. Our structures were terrible. We had guys doing very small tasks and getting paid big money to do it.

On Neeld he said he just could not understand how he could make it through the interview process. Basically knew nothing about being an AFL senior coach.

This is simultaneously comforting and distressing.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Gary Lyon was on the selection panel.

Was it a panel though, or was it just Lyon going run and gun to the first person that sounded awesome re: Malthouse kept talking Neeld up like he was the next bees knees. I doubt much deliberation went into that decision at all, and we were criticised at the time for how quickly we went from casually chatting to Neeld to getting him to sign the dotted line.

Deefolt

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2007
MELBOURNE
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Detroit:PistonsLionsRedWingsTigers
Was it a panel though, or was it just Lyon going run and gun to the first person that sounded awesome re: Malthouse kept talking Neeld up like he was the next bees knees. I doubt much deliberation went into that decision at all, and we were criticised at the time for how quickly we went from casually chatting to Neeld to getting him to sign the dotted line.
scared of adelaide apparently, they can deny it all they want but he would have signed there if we didnt overreact

How about joint captains (if they're not already)?
While it's not fair since he isn't playing, imagine how he'd feel if they dumped him as captain. Not really a huge vote of confidence in his rehab.
I think it's important for players with long term injuries to remain involved in the club. Like Justin Murphy is a recruiting officer for Carlton this year.
I guess as captain he is still a spokesman for Essendon, as well as being involved in the coaching side of things.

Bah! Not the original!

Though watch it just for the stormtrooper crowd surfing on Coruscant...

Back