Peter Wright vs Reece McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkins is a better forward than Cloke, Hawkins is as good a contested mark, is a better shot for goal and is a finals performer. Again, if McKenzie became the next Hawkins every club would be happy to draft him.

He is not a superstar. The only key forwards who could be called superstars right now are Franklin, Roughead and N Riewoldt. Cloke has been and could be a again. Pav has been. Cameron and Tippet are not far off it. To call someone a superstar implies they are among the very best players in the comp full stop, not "top 5 to 8 in their position". For instance, as midfielders I would call Ablett, Pendlebury, Fyfe, Selwood and probably Watson superstars right now. Guys like Kennedy and Dangerfield are not far off it/nearly there and they are both better players than Hawkins. Swan, Judd, Bartel and a few others have been. Sandilands is a superstar ruckman. The word gets thrown around far to often.

Hawkins is currently a better player than Cloke ever has been imo.

I would rather Peter Wright, reckon he will be the better player. Also rate Emma Q's opinion.

Ok then….

If, by your scale, Hawkins is not a superstar but Cloke was but is not now, then whom on the Pies list qualifies as a superstar.

GO Catters
My estimation is Swan was and Pendlebury is approaching that level. No one else.

Hawkins is the best in his position (Power forward) in the league.
I think Cloke and Hawkins wax and wane around a similar level. In 2013 Cloke was clearly better, in 2014 Hawkins, they have similar careers. They are the 2 best power forwards in the comp currently. Roughy is about as good in the power forward area and has many other strings to his bow so is better than the other 2 overall and Roo and Buddy are the best forwards career wise. Tippett doesnt live in this group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins is a better forward than Cloke, Hawkins is as good a contested mark, is a better shot for goal and is a finals performer. Again, if McKenzie became the next Hawkins every club would be happy to draft him.

So is Cloke

The recruiters have spoken

Absolutely. Wright is clearly the preferred option. Not sure he's 69 spots better though.

Regardless, with pick 77, McKenzie was well worth taking a chance on.

Ive seen it all before with these big massive kids. I basically see it as early bloomers who have little upside and when faced against the Scarlett/Glass types who can out muscle and then beat them on the ground, they end up struggling big time.

Hows Mitch Harvey going?

Hows that Ruck/Forward at adelaide going that had a huge vertical leap and also is now delisted? (name escapes me).

Most power forwards are the most explosive/quickest at the clubs surprisingly. Guys like Quinten Lynch. Its their game.

These days as a key forward you need to be flexible and mobile. Not many in the game arent. Trav Cloke has a massive tank.

Hawkins is probably the one that gets away with just being a massive bloke, but it probably helps when you have the ball coming in 70 times again every year since you got going with the likes of Chappy, Corey, Ablett, Bartel ect delivering it in week in week out.
Thankyoup

One went at pick 60 odd i believe and the other at pick 8. Which is exactly where they shouldve gone.

Edit: pick 77 - Every recruiter in the country agreed.

From the sound of talk in this thread I think Casboult is the best comparison. Combined with Reiwoldt and Vickery playing as a genuine 2nd ruck it could work well.
Can Casboult do a 2.87 sec 20m sprint? I think McKenzie is also a much much better kick for goal.
Poor comparison fish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back