Petrenko yes / no?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we not justify the selection of every potential new rookie by comparing them to Banfield? Since when did Banfield became the minimum standard? He was a bust. Every rookie needs to add something, even new ones.

Yes. Was stiff to be delisted I thought. Very handy and yep, you guessed it, could potentially fill our need for a small forward.

I liked the Banfield pick at the time :oops:

I did too, remembered a couple of his games where he looked like a dangerous small forward. I was wrong but so were the recruiters given he was picked before Thomas and Miles.

I'd take Petrenko on the rookie list, actually i'd almost say he is perfect with our recruiting strategy.

These are the positives that assist his case for selection:
- Second, and most likely last chance + his feelings towards the way he was delisted = MAXIMUM motivation. If a player is ever going to gain the confidence needed to reach their potential this is the situation they need.
- 76 games in 6 years, even at Adelaide, he is no mug. May not be a superstar but the pressure he adds on the other players like Gordon and Lloyd will keep them honest and hard working. Also experience wise, he is just about to reach his peak experience which starts for most players around 100 games.
- Age, a little older than I would like but at the same token he is at arguably the age when players reach their physical peak. His best football might be to come in the next couple of seasons.
- The risk is small but the reward could be a best 22 or a solid fringe player.
- Change of scenery; top class facilities and a group of players that seem to really get along. Can only benefit a new players career.
- He also plays a position that we still need to strengthen and he has speed.

Disadvantage:
- We give up one rookie spot for a player who is probably a 20% chance of making it at best.

I'd also consider free agency if we don't pick up any other players (likely) and we opt to increase our senior list size to ensure we draft at least 4 players.

Both Banfield and Petrenko showed a lot of promise early on.
I have a lot of admiration for small guys that make it and keep improving.
Not many do.
Makes you realize how good someone like Milne was.

I did too, remembered a couple of his games where he looked like a dangerous small forward. I was wrong but so were the recruiters given he was picked before Thomas and Miles.

I'd take Petrenko on the rookie list, actually i'd almost say he is perfect with our recruiting strategy.

These are the positives that assist his case for selection:
- Second, and most likely last chance + his feelings towards the way he was delisted = MAXIMUM motivation. If a player is ever going to gain the confidence needed to reach their potential this is the situation they need.
- 76 games in 6 years, even at Adelaide, he is no mug. May not be a superstar but the pressure he adds on the other players like Gordon and Lloyd will keep them honest and hard working. Also experience wise, he is just about to reach his peak experience which starts for most players around 100 games.
- Age, a little older than I would like but at the same token he is at arguably the age when players reach their physical peak. His best football might be to come in the next couple of seasons.
- The risk is small but the reward could be a best 22 or a solid fringe player.
- Change of scenery; top class facilities and a group of players that seem to really get along. Can only benefit a new players career.
- He also plays a position that we still need to strengthen and he has speed.

Disadvantage:
- We give up one rookie spot for a player who is probably a 20% chance of making it at best.

I'd also consider free agency if we don't pick up any other players (likely) and we opt to increase our senior list size to ensure we draft at least 4 players.

Hit the nail on the head there mate.

Definitely worth a look, has a bit of an X-Factor about him, would be dangerous up forward but would need to work on his defensive game in order to get a solid run at AFL level, would like him at Richmond, but would need to be well aware of his shortfalls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who cares if he's an upgrade on Banfield?

He'd need to be an upgrade on the likes of Gordon or McDonough in order to get into the 22.

If he's not, then roll the dice on drafting someone who might be.

Last edited:
I'd probably say no. Had a look at his records and the most goals he has kicked in a season is 16, which isn't enough for a small forward. He has only gotten more than 20 disposals once in his career, which isn't enough as a defender/midfielder. Understand he has pace and is a good tackler, but not enough output for me.

Wouldn't be devastated if we picked him up but I would rather someone else.

More Crows the better.;):D

Only if they keep taking rubbish off our hands! Hampson, Grigg and Thomas, come on down! ;)

Who'd have thought they'd be so skint, they'd take our spuds just so they could get their measly 5c refunds at the local collection depot. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back