Pets

We call him Bruce..........

He loves NMFC , chewing s**t, chasing the cat, and eating. eight weeks old and 9.5 kilo's.

His father is a Canadian lab, all the same really just a fair bit bigger.

View attachment 112835
Bruuuuuuuuuuuce ! He's a ripper NN, Labs are great.

My golden lab retriever (Louie) was put to sleep last night.:cry::( 14 years of my life are now just memories. He was my best friend and it's difficult to explain the grief but part of me knows it was the right thing to do.

Vet thought it was the only logical option considering his age and the rapid spread of the cancer and the pain he was in yesterday. Good thing was that it was an instant, painless death and I was beside him hugging him. But the toughest part was seeing his lifeless body.

Aug 13, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NORTH! 2016,2017,2018.
My golden lab retriever (Louie) was put to sleep last night.:cry::( 14 years of my life are now just memories. He was my best friend and it's difficult to explain the grief but part of me knows it was the right thing to do.

Vet thought it was the only logical option considering his age and the rapid spread of the cancer and the pain he was in yesterday. Good thing was that it was an instant, painless death and I was beside him hugging him. But the toughest part was seeing his lifeless body.
Sorry to hear Hatchy. All the best.

Agree with the last part. I was a wreck seeing that. I hope you have lots of photos and videos of Louie!

Sorry to hear Hatchy. All the best.

Agree with the last part. I was a wreck seeing that. I hope you have lots of photos and videos of Louie!
Thanks mate. Was a rough night.

Lot's of memories to remember him by and won't be trading them for anything in the world. I'm going to frame a photo and put it on the wall.

So sorry for your loss Hatchy, it sounds like he was a loyal and faithful friend. RIP Louie.

Feel for ya mate. It's heartbreaking and I know I never really get over it. Condolences Hatchy and RIP Louie!

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Busy park day with my two clowns (Ridgeback and Black Greyhound) and bro's Doberman and parents Greyhound....ha

1384083_863634037033583_2046582160462084963_n.jpg

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Haven't been here for a while but that is rubbish news. Sorry to hear. Dogs are like family to me and I will be devastated when Ruby (and Bruce) goes as she is nearing 12 - she is in good nick but age creeps up regardless.

I hope you are ok mate. Think positive about how great it was and focus on the future is all I can say....

Last edited:
Haven't been here for a while but that is rubbish news. Sorry to hear. Dogs are like family to me and I will be devastated when Ruby (and Bruce) goes as she is nearing 12 - she is in good nick but age creeps up regardless.

I hope you are ok mate. Think positive about how great it was and focus on the future is all I can say....

Excellent advice, mate. It's a sad reality for all of us pet owners. All being well, we will outlive many beloved pets during our lives. What can you do? Be really sad for a while and then when you're ready, get yourself another mate to love while cherishing the memory of the ones that went before him/her. That's what we have done, without it being a deliberate ''plan''.

Gabbie

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2004
MAGNETIC ISLAND-NTH QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne

:(

Gabbie

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2004
MAGNETIC ISLAND-NTH QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne

Haven't been around for a while. Condolences on the loss of your best mate. It's one of the hardest decisions a pet owner has to make, heart breaking stuff.

Gabbie

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2004
MAGNETIC ISLAND-NTH QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Blood tests showed no other irregularities, so it's definitely Progressive Retinal Atrophy and he is almost blind. He seems very content with life and is lapping up the extra attention he now gets from everybody. Apart from the obvious limitations the blindness is causing him (and it's not always very obvious) the only behavioural changes we have noticed is that he seems a bit more affectionate.

Hello Baz, I am saddened to read this, I remember when Archie was a pup. Give him a hug from me.

Gabbie

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2004
MAGNETIC ISLAND-NTH QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Anika and China 003.jpg
A Mannie dog 020.jpg
Hello fellow pet lovers, long time for me to visit. I've been busy busy dog sitting for people most of this year with not much of a break between doggies. Longest stayer was a gorgeous Brazillian Mastiff girl, 3 months, great temperament, friendly with other dogs, in fact a couple of times while I had her I also looked after some smaller dogs as they got on so well. Funniest sight, me walking a dog as big as a shetland pony and a mini schnauzer at the same time. At the moment I am minding 2 Jack Russell boys for 5 weeks. Good dogs and full of energy. Only thing cheesing me off is most of the owners have gone over seas and I'm stuck here. Oh well, it's a win/win for me, I get to enjoy the company of dogs of different breeds from little ones, a 5 month old Great Dane puppy, a Red Setter, Beagles, etc.

Last edited:
Hello Baz, I am saddened to read this, I remember when Archie was a pup. Give him a hug from me.
Thanks, Gabbie. Further to this, we now have two blind dogs, Archie (Lab) who is not quite totally blind, but seems to be handling it quite well except for the occasional random barking episode and Marvin (the Pug) who is almost totally blind and is not doing so well, has to be helped to find his food and struggles to find you when called. Having said that they are both seem content and happy enough.

Gave them both a hug from you.

Glad to see you about here Gabbie and very happy to see you still doing the dog minding, you've had a real mixture by the looks of it. Nice to see you converting them to good North supporters too.

Gabbie

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2004
MAGNETIC ISLAND-NTH QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
AAGRACE 005.jpg
Thanks, Gabbie. Further to this, we now have two blind dogs, Archie (Lab) who is not quite totally blind, but seems to be handling it quite well except for the occasional random barking episode and Marvin (the Pug) who is almost totally blind and is not doing so well, has to be helped to find his food and struggles to find you when called. Having said that they are both seem content and happy enough.

Gave them both a hug from you.

Glad to see you about here Gabbie and very happy to see you still doing the dog minding, you've had a real mixture by the looks of it. Nice to see you converting them to good North supporters too.

Dogs at my house have no choice in the football matter. lol

Baz, One of my doggies I looked after was 17, he was part deaf and blind, could see shapes I believe, a trick I learnt from his owners was to whack the side of my thigh, the vibration caught his attention, only time I was thankful for not having skinny thighs, was handy when he'd go for a wander up the back yard and the dog across the back fence was going mental, barking it's head off and hitting the fence. He felt intimidated by a dog in my yard, Aaarrrgggggh!! There was nothing wrong with his nose when it came to meal times. Have a pic here of a 5 month old Great Dane, she was pushing her luck jumping on the couch. and the little one loves to bend it like Beckham, I'm not a too shabby kick the ball.
Fabio and frank 2.jpg
Fabio and frank 2.jpg

Last edited:
He's a ripper BS, what breed is he?

Edit: Sorry BS, Border Terrier as you've already said..

Last edited:
He's a ripper BS, what breed is he?

Edit: Sorry BS, Border Terrier as you've already said..
He's a ripper indeed Baz!

He's a real people dog, a pretty clever little fella and for the most part remarkably well behaved.

He learnt his first trick a couple of days ago - he'll jump up and do a 360 turn on command. Toilet training is coming along remarkably well - starting to have days where we'll get home from work and there are no messes.

He's also far too cute for one dog and extremely affectionate and playful.

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pic from earlier this year with my two...ha

With school holidays and having my daughter tomorrow for the week who I miss terribly, can't wait to relive and create similar memories!!

10390465_861330897263897_2003541560084034586_n.jpg

Is he a greyhound off the racetrack, Saintly31? They usually have a beautiful temperament, despite their fierce reputation. Love to chill.

We had a couple of greyhounds for many years until recently. Brother and sister. Never made it to the racetrack so they ended up with us. Lived their whole lives together except for the last few months. One lived until about 13 (cancer), the other old age (14).

Have fun with your daughter. They grow up so fast.

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is he a greyhound off the racetrack, Saintly31? They usually have a beautiful temperament, despite their fierce reputation. Love to chill.

We had a couple of greyhounds for many years until recently. Brother and sister. Never made it to the racetrack so they ended up with us. Lived their whole lives together except for the last few months. One lived until about 13 (cancer), the other old age (14).

Have fun with your daughter. They grow up so fast.

Mate, they are the best dogs I reckon. They look so fit etc but all they want is a 5 min run/walk and rest of day just chill. My Ridgeback has amazing pedigree from Zimbabwe, but bloody hell so much harder.....ha

Bruce was training to race and was one day before being put down along with his 12 siblings (RIP). They ran out of injections that night at a Devonport Vet so he went home with a nurse who said "he is way too sweet and good looking to put down". So they saved him and I was the very happy beneficiary.....

Sounds like you loved your time with the Greys also. Tell me more here or via PM if you want to Mr Reliable ?

I will thanks mate. Feels like yesterday she was born... I look forward to school holidays all year as Livinia is a massive sweetheart I miss, but that is life so best get on with it.

Mate, they are the best dogs I reckon. They look so fit etc but all they want is a 5 min run/walk and rest of day just chill. My Ridgeback has amazing pedigree from Zimbabwe, but bloody hell so much harder.....ha

Bruce was training to race and was one day before being put down along with his 12 siblings (RIP). They ran out of injections that night at a Devonport Vet so he went home with a nurse who said "he is way too sweet and good looking to put down". So they saved him and I was the very happy beneficiary.....

Sounds like you loved your time with the Greys also. Tell me more here or via PM if you want to Mr Reliable ?

I will thanks mate. Feels like yesterday she was born... I look forward to school holidays all year as Livinia is a massive sweetheart I miss, but that is life so best get on with it.

Well Bruce is one lucky dog then. Good for you. We did love our time with the greyhounds. We had a few hens and roosters and they'd walk right past the greyhounds and they'd just look at them. We had a Lab too and if he didn't move the hens and roosters used to walk straight over him.

Even though it's a really callous and cruel sport, the people who train the greyhounds seem to have a real knack with them. It may have something to do with the daily handling, the walks, the grooming and maybe the daily routine.

I sometimes wonder whether it should be illegal to breed dogs, cats and horses without a permit. There's too many unwanted animals and not enough animal lovers to rescue them all.

Back