Pets

shniko11

Beneath the blue and white
Nov 6, 2015
Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mitzi is a pom/maltese and she is 5.

The neighbours had pups and we were lucky enough to get one.
20151205_193958.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we had to say goodbye to this little guy this morning. Only 9 months old. Used a different breeder than we did last time and both our boy and my partner and I suffered for it. They lied about the family history and it turns out his mum had neurological issues. We got in contact with his brother some time ago and he is having difficulties too. About a month ago he started to develop neck pain which has been managed with anti-inflammatories. On Sunday he had an episode that had he crying out in pain for 15-20 seconds (all he was doing was lying on the couch). He refused to move. It was terrible and we didn't know what to do. We rushed him to an emergency vet. On Monday he had an MRI and our fears were confirmed he had Chiari-like malformation. To make matters worse he also had an atlanto-axial supluxation of his spine. The prognosis wasn't great but he was responding well to steroids and he was in high spirits when we visited him yesterday. Unfortunately, he took a turn for the worse overnight and lost the use of his legs. After emailing his paperwork to ~50 different neurologists across Australia, United States, and England they all agreed that the outlook was not good. Hats off to all of them. I don't work in the industry, but 48 of them got back to me (including international board members). I've always said dog lovers are the best kind of people and that really hit home for me after the act of kindness from all of those strangers.This morning when we went to visit we knew what the right decision was.

The vets were great. They let us take in his favourite food (steak and a little bit of chocolate) - we never gave him chocolate, but he's always been obsessed with the smell of kit kats. Watching him go was one of the hardest things I've ever seen. It's very hard seeing our other dog walking around the house searching for him. They were best friends, despite trying to steal his food every time (we had to get him a slo-bowl because he'd finish dinner in 10 secs). I think we will have to get another dog soon just so he isn't alone again.

We used a different breeder than we did last time. Our boy, my partner, and I suffered for it. They lied about the family history and it turns out his mum has neurological issues. We got in contact with his brother some time ago and he is having difficulties too. We also found out that the council took away some of her dogs because she had harmed them. We have been refunded our money and will be looking to have her breeders licence ripped up. A person like that should not be able to breed such loving animals. We have spoken to our original breeder and the other lady had tried to find a partner for our dogs mum...so yes, she was looking to breed a dog with neurological problems again just for financial gain.

Our original breeder has also offered up a puppy free of charge when we are ready.

Rest in peace little guy. Taken far too soon.

View attachment 203021
That's terrible. I bet you're all devastated - at least your little guy isn't suffering any longer.

Not that it will make a difference to the emotions you're feeling at the moment but I hope you had pet insurance so at least you're not out of pocket.

Hopefully the new puppy you get will be wonderful (puppies always are) and bring many years of joy to you and yours.

War Machine

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's terrible. I bet you're all devastated - at least your little guy isn't suffering any longer.

Not that it will make a difference to the emotions you're feeling at the moment but I hope you had pet insurance so at least you're not out of pocket.

Hopefully the new puppy you get will be wonderful (puppies always are) and bring many years of joy to you and yours.
Cheers black shadow.

Definitely had pet insurance. Thankfully. A neighbour a few years ago was out of pocket $15 000 after their dog was involved in an accident. Obviously it's never a question for most owners but you don't want that extra pressure heaped on you impacting decisions.

Gabbie

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2004
MAGNETIC ISLAND-NTH QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Hello pet lovers, haven't been around for a while..condolences to those who have lost their best mate..I'm still doing dog sitting..Though my idea of fun is not chasing after a 10 month old bull arab/mastiff cross up the street in the early morning in my night dress in heat and humidity..He escaped and thought it was a game..caught him when he stopped for a pee.. phew.

Gabbie

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2004
MAGNETIC ISLAND-NTH QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Staffies are the way to go :thumbsu:
How are your Staffies? There's 2 where I live, escapeologists par excellent..not mine just belong to 2 different owners who I'd like to wring their necks, the owners that is...they need to lift their game in the dog stakes..I am an admin of our local lost/found dogs FB page..keeps me on my toes trying to remember who owns what stray dog at times.

Hello pet lovers, haven't been around for a while..condolences to those who have lost their best mate..I'm still doing dog sitting..Though my idea of fun is not chasing after a 10 month old bull arab/mastiff cross up the street in the early morning in my night dress in heat and humidity..He escaped and thought it was a game..caught him when he stopped for a pee.. phew.
Nice too see you around Gab, glad the sitting is still happening for you, even if it's too much fun sometimes.

Gabbie

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2004
MAGNETIC ISLAND-NTH QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Nice too see you around Gab, glad the sitting is still happening for you, even if it's too much fun sometimes.

Ha ha..I'm on a doggie break at the moment til end of March..I have my regulars who keep me busy, different breeds, blue heelers, mini schnauzer, shitzu cross, wired haired terrior, jack russells..Even have a booking lined up for last 3 weeks of SEPTEMBER..I moved house in November..now 3 mins from the beach and THE PUB..before I moved I had been kept busy for a whole month with 3 different dogs..one was supposed to stay for only a week but his owners got stuck in Bali due to the volcanic ash, It was touch and go with me worrying whether they'd be back before the removalists arrived...I had plan B, a neighbour watch him during day of shift..thankfully they managed to get back just in time.

How are your Staffies? There's 2 where I live, escapeologists par excellent..not mine just belong to 2 different owners who I'd like to wring their necks, the owners that is...they need to lift their game in the dog stakes..I am an admin of our local lost/found dogs FB page..keeps me on my toes trying to remember who owns what stray dog at times.

Mine are going well Gabbie :thumbsu:

Plenty of walks and tennis balls for em to destroy.

Gabbie

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2004
MAGNETIC ISLAND-NTH QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Hi all....after 3 years since my Clyde dog passed I decided to get a new dog. A puppy, male...just a little fella..His dad is a chihuahua and his mum is a shitzu cross something...He's a short hair and keeping me on my toes. Goes by the name of Pepe.

Attachments

• a pepe dog.JPG
    a pepe dog.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 74
Hi all....after 3 years since my Clyde dog passed I decided to get a new dog. A puppy, male...just a little fella..His dad is a chihuahua and his mum is a shitzu cross something...He's a short hair and keeping me on my toes. Goes by the name of Pepe.
Good onya Gab, Pepe looks like a nice little pup, will expect plenty of pics...

Easier or more challenging compared to Dalmatians Gabbie?

Was Pepe a rescue dog too?

Gabbie

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2004
MAGNETIC ISLAND-NTH QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Easier or more challenging compared to Dalmatians Gabbie?

Was Pepe a rescue dog too?

MORE CHALLENGING than Dalmations that's for sure..Dan..oi..they were mature when they came to me and all the hard work had been done, especially the potty training..Just had that moment when you think your dog has brought a leaf into the laundry and discover, nope, he pooped....it's a work in progress and getting better every day, now just wish he'd take to the leash..I practice with that most late arvos, at least he now lets me put the damn thing on him.. I can't take him out for walkies to the beach til he's had his next puppy vaccination in a few weeks....then in June...THE SNIP. He's almost 4 onths old and he's been with me for almost 2 weeks now...I couldn't take him earlier due to a dog sitting job I had, the thought of 2 neutered male Jack Russells and a puppy didn't thrill me and then there was my trip to Melbourne to watch the Roos stick it up Freo...I spotted him on a local buy swap and sell video and he was the more lively of the litter, also short hair a bonus. I'm now down to only one pair of rubber thongs for my feet..aarrggggghhhh...
13087380_10209775612491492_3068745831411421072_n.JPG

13095806_10209767678173139_516489124098547347_n.JPG
13051707_10209716074443078_2390050180443542266_n.JPG

Gabbie

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2004
MAGNETIC ISLAND-NTH QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
MORE CHALLENGING than Dalmations that's for sure..Dan..oi..they were mature when they came to me and all the hard work had been done, especially the potty training..Just had that moment when you think your dog has brought a leaf into the laundry and discover, nope, he pooped....it's a work in progress and getting better every day, now just wish he'd take to the leash..I practice with that most late arvos, at least he now lets me put the damn thing on him.. I can't take him out for walkies to the beach til he's had his next puppy vaccination in a few weeks....then in June...THE SNIP. He's almost 4 onths old and he's been with me for almost 2 weeks now...I couldn't take him earlier due to a dog sitting job I had, the thought of 2 neutered male Jack Russells and a puppy didn't thrill me and then there was my trip to Melbourne to watch the Roos stick it up Freo...I spotted him on a local buy swap and sell video and he was the more lively of the litter, also short hair a bonus. I'm now down to only one pair of rubber thongs for my feet..aarrggggghhhh...View attachment 243364

View attachment 243362 View attachment 243363
13094387_10209759482608255_2664109897802501202_n.JPG

View attachment 222148
My 2 and parents GH tucked in the sedan and off for their walk.....ha

We had a couple of retired GHs for many years, until they both passed away within months of each other, mainly due to old age (and cancer). Brother and sister. Together from birth. Beautiful dogs. They loved going for walks and they loved not going for walks. They were happy either way. Also loved their food. Sister would scoff hers down as fast as she could and then hover around the brother. Brother would eat really slowly and growl every now and then as a warning to the sister to step back. A daily ritual.

Viper2Jester

Cancelled
Mar 4, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We had a couple of retired GHs for many years, until they both passed away within months of each other, mainly due to old age (and cancer). Brother and sister. Together from birth. Beautiful dogs. They loved going for walks and they loved not going for walks. They were happy either way. Also loved their food. Sister would scoff hers down as fast as she could and then hover around the brother. Brother would eat really slowly and growl every now and then as a warning to the sister to step back. A daily ritual.

Brilliant story mate, i'm sure they were great company. Yes I understand the daily rituals as whilst not exactly the same for my two there is plenty of routine going on where they work things out...ha. Sad way to end but in saying that part of life I guess.

It's interesting as so many see their build and think so much exercise etc, but as you say, they are happy with or without a walk and many dogs you can't say that about! Perfect for older people and one of the main reasons my parents adopted one after experiences with mine.....

Gabbie

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2004
MAGNETIC ISLAND-NTH QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Hi Gabbie

He's a little cutie. Does he play with toys or only with things he's not supposed to play with?

Hiya Mr R. He plays with BOTH..so far I'm down 2 pairs of rubber thongs, nearly lost my '96 and '99 North GF stubby holders..for a little fella he some how manages to carry things bigger than him in his mouth..he's figured out he can jump onto the table via the chairs...arrgggghhh...love him tho.

uploadfromtaptalk1462963175164.jpg

My daughters little pooch Snowie turns 2 tomorrow, we still count our blessings that she's still with us, even if she has a bark that feels like it goes right through you.

View attachment 246715

Marvin in Zoolander mode. He's fully blind now.

Mate, he looks really happy. Does he cope by using his other senses? I know if I scatter dry dog food onto the ground my 2 find it with their noses. After they've finished I try to find with my eyes a piece they might have missed and it's extremely rare that I find one bit.

Best of luck with Marvin.

Back