Review PF: Port v Hawthorn Review

Remove this Banner Ad

So as someone outside of the Port bays how loud were we? I mean internally within our bays it was insane, but you can't tell if our small pockets actually generated as much noise as their majority support but it felt like we were making more noise than them.
Very loud, and very clear to hear what was going on, absolutely awesome.

And yet it was Carlile who won some terrific intercept possessions across half-back in the last quarter (including our last foray forward with 30s to go) that kept us in it.

I've gotta say that there has been some serious over-rating of Hombsch's performance in this thread, and under-valuing of Carlile.

He's an easy target for people, much as Jasper is. Both can hold their heads up high on the back of this year's finals campaign.
I somewhat disagree ... they play a different style of og game IMO. I dont see an underating of Carlile, he has been a WALL for us back there ... just a standout year from him. BUT, we all sort of expected it from him! Hombsch, on the otherhand, has been a revelation! His wonderful spoiling, his flying marks, seemingly coming from nowhere! Just a great breakout season, stamping him as a future star IMO ... So I suppose he tends to get mentioned a lot ... take NOTHING away from Carlile!

I am rapt with our back six!

Now that everything's over, as a Port man, I am bitterly disappointed that we didn't win this final and the Grand Final.

As a Port person, this will burn in the guts: I hate it and I know that the players are devastated at not winning. We held true to the Port Adelaide creed that we would never give in and even though we were honourable in defeat, we must strive harder to win Premierships.

As a Port person, even thought the pain of defeat never really heals and continues to hurt, there is no room for self sympathy and in the cool, calm, dispassionate manner we have always acted in to get results, then cruelly, the Grand Final loss by the Maggies was timely because it has got every single one of our players focussed on what needs to be done to win Premierships.

Although it would have been absolutely brilliant for the Maggies to win another flag, their loss and the loss to Hawthorn has every player feeling the same: s**t house.

It's been pointed out by a few how often our only inside 50 option was an outnumbered Neadey. It was driving me nuts all night particularly the one that went over his head in the last.

Any chance of Kenny introducing a training drill that when you trying to pick out Neadey inside 50 you want to hit his laces and not his chest.

Obviously the ideal would be another taller option so Neadey is just looking for the crumbs rather than being our go to target but when the talls have lead up the ground and he's there....

Granted he was epic against Freo to get the ball to ground in a 2 on 1, kept it in the area which lead to Chad's sealer but surely you've got to play to his strengths and would be better off having the ball bounce in front of him or into space rather than hoping for miracles from the kid.

Note: I come from a vertically challenged family so Neadey has legend status in our household.

It's been pointed out by a few how often our only inside 50 option was an outnumbered Neadey. It was driving me nuts all night particularly the one that went over his head in the last.

I've expected us often to go for Dwayne Russell's chaos ball theory often this year. Pretty much just throw in some low torps or whatever gets taller defenders off guard.

That's because your club in general has a lot of respect in Melbourne. Unlike that other team over there, Port do not have a chip on their shoulders, simply a genuine club that strives to win but is humble in both victory and defeat. A great working class club.

Contrary to popular belief Melbournians do not hate interstate clubs in general, just the arrogant ones or those with chips on their shoulders.

Your supporters were immense at the G on Saturday, and I was there supporting your team, not just for the way it plays but for the way it goes about it.

Good luck next year in all games, except those against the doggies

Cheers, likewise :thumbsu:

Any chance of Kenny introducing a training drill that when you trying to pick out Neadey inside 50 you want to hit his laces and not his chest.

Obviously the ideal would be another taller option so Neadey is just looking for the crumbs rather than being our go to target but when the talls have lead up the ground and he's there....

Granted he was epic against Freo to get the ball to ground in a 2 on 1, kept it in the area which lead to Chad's sealer but surely you've got to play to his strengths and would be better off having the ball bounce in front of him or into space rather than hoping for miracles from the kid.

Note: I come from a vertically challenged family so Neadey has legend status in our household.

The aerial entries to Neade were soul-destroying. At one point, no-foolin', I said "I'd rather have Brett Ebert out there" and coming from me that's rather telling.

Very loud, and very clear to hear what was going on, absolutely awesome.
Yea to the eastern end ? (Where the cheer squad was) it was fantastic to see sprinklings of black white and teal in predominantly Hawthorn bays leaping up and going boonta the entire game, even when we were getting swamped by the Hawks.

It was great to be the minority supporter, such a contrast to home games at the Oval. Being able to be part of a loud travelling supporter base was fantastic, I loved the swarm of our colours in cars on the drive over and all through Melbourne town, I liken it to travelling EPL supporters. Bring on more post seasons to come, hopefully we'll only be travelling in the last week after finishing top 2!

The aerial entries to Neade were soul-destroying. At one point, no-foolin', I said "I'd rather have Brett Ebert out there" and coming from me that's rather telling.
Yea going small and trying to force defensive rotations didn't really work in the 3rd because Of the way Hawthorn were forcing us to enter 50. But once we got clearances and our running game on it was key to our comeback.

Man no BF since the game, I've really missed most of the breakdown of the game! *sets up for big catchup reading and analysis session*

That says a lot - actually way too much.

The ex-umpire on the weekly umpire review on SEN didn't argue with the decision either. Said he dived on it...

Couldn't be more wrong. Firstly he dropped one knee and didn't dive on the footy. Secondly the rule was meant to be interpreted as penalising a player for deliberately slowing down the game by diving on the footy instead of moving it on. Why would we slow down the game with a minute on the clock?

The segment wasn't helped by the fact they kept on referring to Jonas as Ebert either... :S

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember when the AFL had that stupid rule about not sliding into a pack on your knees to get the ball? Completely ****ed with Josh Francou's head.

Well the same could be said about Chad when he marked and played on and missed. Against Fremantle he put his hand up after free kick and had a the set shot and goaled .. It is all a learning curve.........
If its the 1st quarter one your talking about with Chad I don't think he was aware it was paid a mark, if it was even called a mark.Having watched the replay I don't think it was paid a mark.

If its the 1st quarter one your talking about with Chad I don't think he was aware it was paid a mark, if it was even called a mark.Having watched the replay I don't think it was paid a mark.
It was a mark and the umpire who was right there called play on when Chad moved off his line and played on.

Was on fox tonight and finally decided to sit through it.

The most frustrating thing about the AFL has to be the bloody ticky tack free kicks they pay. Just give the benefit of the doubt to play on and pay nothing unless it's bloody obvious.

Drives me nuts that these guys put in months of gut busting training and countless head over the ball attempts just to have their season ended by some soft calls that doesn't belong in the game.

Sort it out and bring on rd 1 already

Remember when the AFL had that stupid rule about not sliding into a pack on your knees to get the ball? Completely stuffed with Josh Francou's head.
Remember when they had that even stupider rule about not playing on from a mark but you could from a free kick? Led to huge misunderstandings. One game (non-Port) that I was watching West Coast were behind less than a goal with less than a minute to play. One of their players half-volleyed the ball close to the ground and handballed to a player running past. The umpire called a mark and called the ball back to be thrown up, which was the rule. If they had to have that stupid rule, you'd think the ball would go to the player who marked it, not to a 50/50 situation.

I have never been more proud of a team than when they all made their way up to the end with all the supporters and acknowledged us.

You could tell they were so gutted but they did it anyway.

Classy.

"I wuz up the other end in a bay half full of Port supporters and they didn't come down and acknowledge us! Poor form Port. We made just the same effort to get to the game as those others you ackowledged did. Ur on notice that if this happens again I'll be cancelling my membership in protest even though someone on the wait list will jump at the opportunity to snap up my seat with a gusto!!!!111"

#facebook

I have never been more proud of a team than when they all made their way up to the end with all the supporters and acknowledged us.

You could tell they were so gutted but they did it anyway.

Classy.

The supporters all held their NTUA scarves up too, which was kinda cool and a major show of solidarity that we were proud of them.

Must be a Victorian "culture thing" but after the game - respect to the Hawks fans, must have been 10-15 of them that came up and said "Bad luck, you should have won it, you guys deserved it" etc. Just couldnt see that after a showdown lol. Softened the blow a bit that day, but still cut deep. Was a great day to be a PAFC supporter tho - to see the size of the march was astonishing

Must be a Victorian "culture thing" but after the game - respect to the Hawks fans, must have been 10-15 of them that came up and said "Bad luck, you should have won it, you guys deserved it" etc. Just couldnt see that after a showdown lol. Softened the blow a bit that day, but still cut deep. Was a great day to be a PAFC supporter tho - to see the size of the march was astonishing

I got that too. I wanted to hate them so much but they made it impossible not to like them. Bastards!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back