PFA A-League team of the decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Goalkeeper: Eugene Galekovic

Defenders: Cassio, Kevin Muscat ©, Patrick Zwaanswijk, Ivan Franjic.

Midfielders: Matt McKay, Carlos Hernandez, Thomas Broich.

Forwards: Archie Thompson, Besart Berisha, Shane Smeltz

Substitutes: Michael Theo (GK), Adama Traore, Mark Milligan, Steve Corica, Alessandro Del Piero.

Coach: Ange Postecoglou

Referee: Strebre Delovski

"With players having had to have played at least two seasons in the A-League to be eligible for selection, the team was voted on by over 400 former and current A-League players and contains three Johnny Warren Medal winners.

As the highest vote getting former or current club captain Kevin Muscat was named as the skipper of the PFA A-League Team of the Decade."

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/...the-decade-unveiled/3wmul03ra0io15fdl05g69oe7

Thoughts on the team? Did they get it right?

Kevin Muscat as captain will piss a few people off :p

Others aren't bad, although ADP is controversial given he was only here for 2 seasons.

Maybe he threatened a few players? Number 2 for the record of A League red cards received as well! :p

Despite his reputation, was interesting to see he was the highest voted former captain which suggests he's perhaps got a lot of respect from his peers despite his combative style of play/personality.

Agreed on ADP - I somehow got the feeling they wanted to include 'big name' import to add some glam to the side. ADP's stint in Australia was a success IMO. 24 goals from 46 games is a very good effort.

Muscat gets a lot of hate for some of the things he did on the pitch but it tends to give people the wrong impression that he was nothing but a hack, he was a very talented defender who just lost the plot sometimes. Muscat's influence on Melbourne Victory as a captain and as a player was huge, he's easily the best leader we've seen in the A League IMO so I'm not really surprised he was voted in captain.

I like Galekovic being voted in as keeper despite the lack of silverware, he's easily been better than Theoklitos IMO. I can't agree with ADP though, his impressive goals record clouds the actual quality of his performances, despite his ability to turn a game he was often a real liability for Sydney due to his inability to offer anything off the ball, if the FFA felt compelled to include a big name then Dwight Yorke or even Shinji Ono would have been a much better fit here. Besides that I think the team is pretty much bang on.

Muscat gets a lot of hate for some of the things he did on the pitch but it tends to give people the wrong impression that he was nothing but a hack, he was a very talented defender who just lost the plot sometimes. Muscat's influence on Melbourne Victory as a captain and as a player was huge, he's easily the best leader we've seen in the A League IMO so I'm not really surprised he was voted in captain.

I like Galekovic being voted in as keeper despite the lack of silverware, he's easily been better than Theoklitos IMO. I can't agree with ADP though, his impressive goals record clouds the actual quality of his performances, despite his ability to turn a game he was often a real liability for Sydney due to his inability to offer anything off the ball, if the FFA felt compelled to include a big name then Dwight Yorke or even Shinji Ono would have been a much better fit here. Besides that I think the team is pretty much bang on.

Yorke is an interesting one. Arguably the most important signing in A League history (his signing helped legitimise the new competition). Only played 1 season but helped win a premiership which is a good legacy to have in a brief stint. ADP I don't think ever played finals during his time.

I agree with Galekovic as well - has been able to enter the national team picture through his performances. Interestingly, wasn't he the back up keeper to Theo at Victory before moving to Adelaide?

I suppose its important to remember this team was selected by the past and present players so its really who they rate as the best players to have played in the league - if the FFA had their say, the team would probably look more like an All-Stars outfit of big names, not necessarily the best performed players.

Eugene was at Victory as #2 before moving. Can't decide which one deserves the number one spot though. Will go Eugene because Theo seems come across as a bit of a twat. Who shortens their name ffs.

Also Del Piero and Traore being in there is laughable. Completely agree re: Muscat. Captain two league titles. Loomed large on the league up until his dog act on Adrian Zahra.

Eugene was at Victory as #2 before moving. Can't decide which one deserves the number one spot though. Will go Eugene because Theo seems come across as a bit of a twat. Who shortens their name ffs.

Also Del Piero and Traore being in there is laughable. Completely agree re: Muscat. Captain two league titles. Loomed large on the league up until his dog act on Adrian Zahra.

Adama Traore was in the A-league before Berisha/Broich and ended up being the best left-back in the league when he left. He belongs in that side.

I have to agree in regards to Traore, defenders never get the credit they deserve but I honestly think he's the best young player to have come through the A League, it's just a shame he couldn't play for our National Team.

Traore would have been a great addition to the national team set up (though we do seem to have a stack of talent now fighting for that LB spot). I believe he's since been called up to the Ivory Coast national side a few times now (though not sure if he's won his first cap yet).

Traore would have been a great addition to the national team set up (though we do seem to have a stack of talent now fighting for that LB spot). I believe he's since been called up to the Ivory Coast national side a few times now (though not sure if he's won his first cap yet).
Nope.

He's still playing regularly in Portugal though.

There's only a handful of players to be playing regularly in Europe atm that's come from the A-League, he's one.

Was having a think of the who the best A League developed exports might be - wouldn't mind seeing another best XI of players to come through the A League.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back