Competitions PHANTOM DRAFT 2014 - Carlton Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

#73 - Geelong - Ben Cavarra

Position:Small midfielder/defender/forward
Height:174cm
Weight:70kg (2013)
Born:20/12/95

Cats fans might start raising their eyebrows now, with another small midfielder, however, Cavarra has done enough at TAC and with Frankston in his first season of VFL to earn a spot on an AFL list. There is nothing wrong with developing a mosquito fleet if they can all play footy!

Clearance machine, burrowing into packs to dish off to teammates, great pace, huge second-efforts and leadership. Cavarra is an accumulator who loves the contest. Apart from his height, he also lacks a bit of polish with his kicking at times, although this is improving. It has been reported that he bursts away from packs so fast that kicking the ball is almost a 'secondary thought', so it is perhaps more an awareness deficiency than a skill deficiency.

He has won the Morrish Medal (TAC Brownlow equiv.), Easter Rangers B&F, BOG in the TAC Cup GF, B&F in his first season at Frankston, VFL Team of the Year in his first season - 2014, Frankston leading vote-getter in the 2014 Liston Trophy.

He's a player that won't leave you disappointed, because you know that every time he plays he gives it everything he's got - a more talented Davey Ellard type. Good types to have around the club!

#77 Hawks - Harry.........O'Dear he's been snatched from under our noses.

Oh well, we'll take Mark (Marc???) Pittonet instead. (His first name is spelt differently depending on where you look).
From EQ:
Born 3.6.1996, 201cm, 100kg
AFL biography:
Ruckman who is highly competitive and aggressive in the contest and directs the ball well at stoppages. Has good skills set including his overhead marking.
Mark Smart, Oakleigh Chargers, development manager: "He's really stood up in the last part of the year and he was probably our best player in the finals. He's a big, strong, aggressive ruckman and his hit-outs to advantage and ability to get around the ground with some athleticism really stood out to me. He really impacted games and he played against some real quality opponents, especially throughout the finals, so I think he stamped himself as the best ruckman in the competition."

Good replacement for Lowden/Hale and we may still delist Grimley.

HARKER I think the Lions will have two or three for more live picks even if they pick up Robinson as a DFA. I'm happy to go for a few more rounds, or can just do a few picks once this round has finished..

#75 Port - Josh McGuinness

Position: Defender/Midfielder
Height: 189 cm, Weight: 70 kg, DOB: 20/09/1995
Club: Lauderdale
Projected draft range: 40-rookie
Player comparison: Kade Simpson

A composed, high-production rebounding defender who averaged 20 disposals for Tasmania in his four games, McGuinness was also a standout at the National Championships. His performances saw him come away with All-Australian honours at half back, having averaged 26 disposals and five marks per game for Tasmania in division two. The classy tall who has a penetrating kick and rates elite in terms of his marking and rebound has a habit of being a playmaker off half back. He sets off chains of possessions with his quick ball movement as well as his run and carry. Initially overlooked last year, he’s developed strongly in 2014 and looms as a really good value mid-late draft choice, with the projection of him developing into a tall midfielder.

Pick #78 – Billy Gowers
State:
Victoria
Position: Midfield/Running defender
Born: 10/06/1996
Height: 184cm Weight: 81kg

Gowers is a run and carry player who has played for the Oakleigh Chargers this year coming off of half-back with stints in the midfield. His main strength is his kicking, and marking ability. Gowers often takes the game on but can drift in and out of games.

If Gowers can work on his match fitness and start getting more of the ball, he should be able to fill a weakness on the Lions list.

Pick #79 – Kory Beard
State:
South Australia
Position: KPD
Born: 13/06/1990
Height: 195cm Weight: 95kgs

The Lions pick up another mature age SANFL key position player. I don’t know a hell of a lot about this guy, but from what I’ve heard he is a very solid key defender who has the ability to rack up possessions and use the ball efficiently. Played some good football this year for Sturt and ended up at centre half back in the league’s team of the year.

With Patfull moving to GWS, and Merrett and Maguire another year closer to retirement, the Lions really need to bring in a mature defender to help steady the ship while they develop their youngsters.

Brisbane bring in:
Liam Dawson (midfielder/utility)
Harris Andrews (KPF/KPD)
Brett Eddy (KPF)
Billy Gowers (midfield/medium defender)
Kory Beard (KPD)
Josh Clayton (tall midfielder)

2015 Best 22

B: Jed Adcock, Justin Clarke, Brent Staker
HB: Daniel Rich, Darcy Gardiner, Liam Dawson
C: Pearce Hanley, Tom Rockliff, Allen Christensen
HF: Dayne Zorko, Daniel Merrett, James Aish
F: Matthew Leuenberger, Brett Eddy, Lewis Taylor
Foll: Stefan Martin, Jack Redden, Dayne Beams
I/C: Marco Paparone, Sam Mayes, Josh Green, Daniel McStay
EMG: Ryan Lester, Kory Beard, Tom Cutler

Last edited:
#73 - Geelong - Ben Cavarra

Position:Small midfielder/defender/forward
Height:174cm
Weight:70kg (2013)
Born:20/12/95

Cats fans might start raising their eyebrows now, with another small midfielder, however, Cavarra has done enough at TAC and with Frankston in his first season of VFL to earn a spot on an AFL list. There is nothing wrong with developing a mosquito fleet if they can all play footy!

Clearance machine, burrowing into packs to dish off to teammates, great pace, huge second-efforts and leadership. Cavarra is an accumulator who loves the contest. Apart from his height, he also lacks a bit of polish with his kicking at times, although this is improving. It has been reported that he bursts away from packs so fast that kicking the ball is almost a 'secondary thought', so it is perhaps more an awareness deficiency than a skill deficiency.

He has won the Morrish Medal (TAC Brownlow equiv.), Easter Rangers B&F, BOG in the TAC Cup GF, B&F in his first season at Frankston, VFL Team of the Year in his first season - 2014, Frankston leading vote-getter in the 2014 Liston Trophy.

He's a player that won't leave you disappointed, because you know that every time he plays he gives it everything he's got - a more talented Davey Ellard type. Good types to have around the club!

Nothing against any of your selections.....but as a group?.....really???

Your 5 selections for Geelong.......Wellar, Daniel, Lonie, Saad and Cavarra.......really?

Cmon fnm, fess up lol.....you were a rover in your day right?

Nothing against any of your selections.....but as a group?.....really???

Your 5 selections for Geelong.......Wellar, Daniel, Lonie, Saad and Cavarra.......really?

Cmon fnm, fess up lol.....you were a rover in your day right?

haha ... I recruit best footballer available! I can't imagine the Cats following the same path in reality. Saad's small but he plays the leading forward role as well, so that needs to be considered. I'd be happy enough walking away with those 5 ... Don't know much at all about Lonie though...

Watch these blokes rove Warnock's dropped marks, run between his legs and nail goals from 50 while he's still turning around to see where they've gone!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got it......Thanks :thumbsu:
Thanks for pulling together that summary.

For the Hawks, rather than take "best available" at any one point in the draft, I targetted the needs I see for the squad. I largely looked to find replacements for aging players where depth may be lacking, or replace types that were traded/delisted by the club. I focussed on players who were good kicks, but also looked for players with aggression.

I took one of the hardest inside mids I could to replace Hodge (and arguably the departed Hallahan), and took a small defender later in the draft due to his kicking skills. I looked to the future of the backline and chose a Key Defender to replace the aging Lake and Gibson (and also the traded Cheney). I also took a punt on a key forward who may be able to complement Roughead and Gunston and replace Hale (assuming he can be competitive in the ruck). I also went the other way with my last pick, selecting one of the most competent rucks in the draft - if he can add strings to his bow as a forward, the Hawks will be wrapped - he will replace the departing Lowden.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back