ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Question from the peanut gallery, ItsAllAboutMe

How close were Melbourne to selecting Peter Wright as a ruckman? (who also is pretty handy up forward)

Gawn is very injury prone, Jamar is 31 etc. Spencer isn't bad but Fitzpatrick appears to be going nowhere.
I am very much in the camp that NO ruckmen should be taken as a first round pick, too much risk attached and high % of Ruckmen leave there drafted club, so Wright was never an option. I would rather poach a free agent next year and get a mature age Cameron wood type as insurance

#5 Peter Wright.

The leading ruck prospect of the draft class, who had a bunch of talk about being # 1 not so long ago. Good hands and an effective forward, as well as having truly elite potential to impact contests, his U/18 form has been a little bit patchy, but the moments where he shines have been impressive to draft watchers.

He fits the Pies needs as a forward prospect, but is probably best used as a ruck prospect. While this adds to the Pies young talent in the big man department, Wright is the sort of prospect that really should not be passed up at this point, and none of the mids I might otherwise have taken have his ceiling.

*all of this is the sort of air-headed conjecture which fuels draft threads, please consume a large grain of salt*

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
#8 Gold Coast

Jayden Laverde

Position: Utility
Height: 189 cm, Weight: 82 kg, DOB: 04/12/96
Club: Western Jets

Talk about quality. Very happy and surprised Jayden Laverde has slide to pick 8. Ticks both needs and best available. Whilst the Suns midfield is already strong and full of quality kids... a case can be mounted it is short of tall X factor mids. Ticks the Suns criteria of having insane pace and is complemented by additional agility and athleticism. Laverde possesses quality disposal being able to kick of both feet and pin point passes to teammates in better positions ultimately demonstrating his high football IQ. Expect Laverde to play a similar role to Steve Johnson being able to damage up forward as well as become a receiver in the midfield. Essentially Laverde can be expected to play a few games in 2015 and if all goes well can expect to have a spot cemented in 2016 ready for the Suns premiership tilt.

Jul 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Were you thinking of taking Weller Cringle?

Did you expect Laverde to be there?
Little surprised that Collingwood took Wright but it's possible Moore may go back and then you have a quality resting forward/ruckman. Interesting.
I had Weller an another still available that I was tossing between for my pick. Was sure Laverde would be gone so had to consider if he offers more to the current set up at GC. Laverde's ability to play as a utility better suits GC who would be able to throw him anywhere desired as he is renowned to be quality all over the park. If he was to come in to the team I'd suspect he'd play as half forward which is a better suited position to him over Weller.

fnm_just a man

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The Cats have just had their draft plan blown apart by GWS taking Jarrod Pickett at #7 ... And I thought I was going to be making life difficult for Flowers!

Had a nice little piece written up about young Pickett too!

I knew this would happen ... All day waiting and now I have a commitment till 9! .. Will provide profile later.

#10 - Lachlan Weller

Height:181cm
Weight: 71kg
DOB: 23/02/1996

Position: Outside Mid

Geelong may have an ageing backline, but it’s still the best back 6 in the league, and they will have another crack while Taylor is still there at least. There’s every chance they’ll have another crack next year, depending on how their trades turn out. They need a little more offence, speed and skill in the middle at the moment. If Pickett is indeed gone by pick 10, Lachie Weller is a good show.

He brings pace, skill and a little x-factor. He is also a goal-kicking mid, which ticks the final box. With Mitch Clarke and Rhys Stanly joining the club, and Tomahawk still with his best years ahead of him, the forward line is settled for now. Whether Clarke plays as a ruckman/forward or permanent forward remains to be seen.

The baton is being passed to the younger brigade in the middle of the ground, and Weller will be a part of that. Selwood, Motlop, Duncan and Weller have the potential to be as damaging as their predecessors. Horlin-Smith and Guthrie are the next in line and they need to be. Guthrie has his strengths but is prone to turnovers, and Horlin-Smith shows signs as a clearance machine, but lacks consistency at this stage.

Weller’s kicking is elite, he has a burst of speed to create space and he kicks goals.

I suspect he will get game time in 2015 playing in a forward pocket/flank with some stints on the wing, and he’ll be learning from the best, in Stevie J.

Perfect pick-up for Geelong!! (we move on quickly)

Next: #FlowersByIrene

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
With the 11th pick in the 2014 Draft the West Coast Eagles select....

# 11 Sam Durdin (KPD/KPF)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 06/06/1996
Recruited from: West Adelaide

Firstly can I say, very upset that Pickett got selected early, he was in the gun for the Eagles and the perfect choice for their pick. Following West Coast's list closesly I think it's fairly clear that their major deficiancy is fast outside runners, which is why I was dissapointed not to find Pickett at this pick. I also note that West Coast have a pretty firm policy on West Australians only but I am reaching away from that here. I'm reaching away simply because I have to go best available, I am surprised he has slipped this far and you just have to take him.
However beyondn their need for outside class - outside of Kennedy and an undersized Darling, West Coast actually have very limited KPF stocks and with Glass retiring a youthful future gun prospect KPD is nothing to besmirch either. Durdin was just too good to pass up and I will be looking to find some quality mids later on in the draft. Durdin is so versatile and with excellent hands, they can't go wrong which is something West Coast are very wary of. Hopefully with Durdin being from South Australia there will be less go home factor (as SA is a s**t hole) so hopefully he won't be a wasted pick.

My favourite points
1. Tall - and currently not physically imposing (meaning he isnt just some man child beating up the competition) will grow into his body and continue to improve
2. Great hands - love his marking ability which is combination of reading the flight of the ball well and sticky hands
3. Has played senior SANFL footy - always an impressive feat for an under 18

Best position/role: Centre half back

Strengths:

Versatility – Plays both forward and back to a high standard. He can also pinch-hit through the ruck as required.

Strong overhead mark – Durdin marks at the highest point and has long arms making him incredibly hard to defend when played in the front half. Durdin is most threatening with his ability to mark the ball in the air and can just launch at the ball, elevate and take it one grab. He is capable of taking a pack marks. He can take front position and protect the drop zone well for the easy mark but is not so strong 1v1 that he will take advantage of his direct opponents frequently either forward or back.

Ability to read the flight of the ball – Durdin reads the flight well and uses this ability well both up forward and down back. As a forward this increases the threat of him taking his marks in the air because he knows before he jumps where the ball will land, he also uses this ability to protect the drop zone for easy marks. Down back because of how well he reads the flight of the ball and how well he reads the play he understands when he can leave his opponent for an easy intercept mark. He is also excellent getting the spoil in thanks to his ability to read the flight and is aided by his long arms.

Athleticism/mobility – Durdin moves incredibly well for a tall and has excellent mobility and agility to him and moves really fluidly around the ground. He also has good leaping ability which he uses to effect with his marking ability in the air. With his leaping ability and long arms he also has the scope to play some relief ruck minutes as required. He also has the pace to create separation on the lead and the closing speed to shut down an opponent’s lead in the back half.

Ground level ability – Durdin has good co-ordination below the knees and can pick up the ground ball and bouncing ball cleanly. He is also willing to at ground level give a contest and give the second and third efforts and tackle with good intent for a tall.

Good ball user - Durdin is a clean, efficient ball user and you can rely on him to hit his targets around the ground. He demonstrates good vision and has shown that out of the back half he can find and hit some meaningful targets up the ground.

Hard edge – Durdin in the games I have seen of him has shown a real hard edge to him. He will bury guys with force with his tackles and will stand up to contact and not let anyone intimidate him and stand his ground which has impressed me. Weaknesses:Ability on the lead – Durdin is not yet overly natural on the lead as a forward and will need to put the work in on his leading patterns and learn when and where to lead.

Production – This year Durdin has not put forward the numbers anticipated coming into the season. He seems to have struggled due to a hand injury and has not had the preparation he would have liked coming into the season which is the primary reason in my view for his below expectation performances. He put forward some lean performances through the U18 champs and has done the same this year back in SA, though showing better form late season.

Leading patterns as a forward – Durdin due mostly to being unaccustomed to playing forward has when given the chance up forward looked at times lost with his leading patterns particularly a work in progress not knowing where or when to lead to be a target up the field and as a result at this stage looks better suited behind the ball with reading the ball from behind the play more what he is suited to and accustomed to at this point in time.

What I expect will improve:I expect Durdin increases his production and if played forward I anticipate with good coaching improves his leading patterns. If he can get his improvement tracking in the right direction again next year I feel he can over time start to put all the pieces of the puzzle together and with time develop into a dominant key position player at either end.Who he can become?Durdin projects to become a similar level talent to Jake Carlisle as that tall, mobile type who can play forward or back well.

When will he be ready to play?
The first couple of seasons we will see glimpses but it will be season three that I anticipate that he will start putting some strong performances together and season four when he establishes himself as a high level key position player.

How to best utilise him? Durdin has key forward talent and the right mix of attributes to experience strong success as a key forward if he fixes up his leading patterns but at this stage Durdin is best suited as a key defender and is a safer bet to become a high level key defender.Interpretation of his numbers:He has struggled to get his hands on the footy this year both when played forward and back. His numbers due to his hand injury have been poor this season so Durdin is someone you draft based on his 2012 performance and the mix of attributes he shows in game and how that mix of attributes can translate at the next level and come together over time.

Source of majority of the write up Knightmare

Last edited:

coryne

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
After a fair amount of discussion on the Richmond board it became apparent that the Tigers require more depth through the midfield and while the primary focus was for an outside midfielder who has pace, skills and KILLED it at the combine I simply couldn't call Cockatoo's name while Duggan was still available.

Pick #12. Richmond. Liam Duggan.

Will provide a proper write up when I get a chance tomorrow as I am currently on my phone.

coryne

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
No, I had just started to think Duggan may slide lol.

All the way to #19??? Think that would be beyond even the most optimistic of Carlton supporters wildest dreams. Would need a minor run in with the law (or a yr 12 expulsion for doing naughty things at camp) for that to happen*

*please universe prove me wrong!!!!!!!

Back