Competitions PHANTOM DRAFT 2014 - Carlton Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

#8 Darcy Moore

Talented KPP prospect who lands at the Pies by way of F/S. The son of Brownlow Medalist Peter Moore, Darcy is an exciting KPP who could fit in either end, but will probably be best developed as a defender. Took some good scalps throughout the U/18 season, and was rated highly by several clubs which is why the Pies had their hand forced on the first draft pick

Should help refresh the Pies KPP talent and provide alongside Wright with a next generation spine.

It's funny how some players look destined for a particular club.

Duggan somehow looks..........Richmond and there's others I have nominated to look suited to other clubs. :confused:

I reckon it's because he looks and moves like Cotchin and that makes you/me think Richmond after you've watched him. Plus he seems about a teen pick which Richmond always have.

Pick 13 - Hugh Goddard

Height:195cm
Weight:93kg
Position:Key defender/Key forward

Goddard will strongly appeal to Freo as a McPharlin/Pav replacement. Bigger and bulkier than Marchbank (who I was thinking hard about selecting), and he also provide more pressure. Goddard is very athletic with a huge kick and is extremely versatile. Can't really fault his game apart from the fact he can be inconsistent at times (which I believe has prevented from being a very early first round pick; he was even touted as possibly going #1 earlier in the year). He had a great 2nd half of the year and twice kept Darcy Moore quiet. In my opinion he is a huge bargain at pick 13 and will be a great pick up for the dockers. He is an excellent swing man, is a good size, has great athleticism, speed and versatility and plays a lot like Lachie Henderson. Big tick from me.

Last edited:
Pick 13 - Hugh Goddard

Height:195cm
Weight:93kg
Position:Key defender/Key forward

Will provide a more detailed write up tomorrow arvo but for now ill say that he will strongly appeal to Freo as a McPharlin/Pav replacement. Bigger and bulkier than Marchbank (who I was thinking hard about selecting), and he also provide more pressure. Goddard is very athletic with a huge kick and is extremely versatile. Can't really fault his game apart from the fact he can be inconsistent at times (which I believe has prevented from being a very early first round pick; he was even touted as possibly going #1 earlier in the year).

More to come.
Very good pick for Freo...especially with Lyon there.

Pick 14: Adelaide – Caleb Marchbank

Position: Defender/forward
Height: 193 cm, Weight: 85 kg, DOB: 7/12/1996
Club: Murray Bushrangers
Projected draft range: 5-20
Plays like: Harry Taylor

The key position swingman has caught the eye of many teams to find his draft stocks rapidly rising. Arguably the best intercept mark in the TAC Cup competition, Marchbank’s performances at the National Championships were scintillating, whilst his TAC Cup form was consistent. He plays predominantly in defence, where his ability to read the ball in flight whether under pressure or not is exceptional. Meanwhile, his eagerness to rebound from the back half makes him a real playmaker on the counter attack. Marchbank could best be described as not too dissimilar to Jarrad Waite: he backs himself to win a contested mark, he can mark over his head when he’s expecting contact, and uses his strength in his kicking to set up further afield. He keeps opposition forwards quiet, whilst also having a big influence on the game himself – something not many key defenders have luck doing. Given his athleticism, Marchbank could really develop into a prototype utility, playing on a wing, half-forward or half-back to fill any need required: by the same token, he does look most settled in defence.

I wanted Goddard but Marchbank is a similar beast.
He will suit the crows as he can play either end but will start as support for Talia.

Pick 14: Adelaide – Caleb Marchbank

Position: Defender/forward
Height: 193 cm, Weight: 85 kg, DOB: 7/12/1996
Club: Murray Bushrangers
Projected draft range: 5-20
Plays like: Harry Taylor

The key position swingman has caught the eye of many teams to find his draft stocks rapidly rising. Arguably the best intercept mark in the TAC Cup competition, Marchbank’s performances at the National Championships were scintillating, whilst his TAC Cup form was consistent. He plays predominantly in defence, where his ability to read the ball in flight whether under pressure or not is exceptional. Meanwhile, his eagerness to rebound from the back half makes him a real playmaker on the counter attack. Marchbank could best be described as not too dissimilar to Jarrad Waite: he backs himself to win a contested mark, he can mark over his head when he’s expecting contact, and uses his strength in his kicking to set up further afield. He keeps opposition forwards quiet, whilst also having a big influence on the game himself – something not many key defenders have luck doing. Given his athleticism, Marchbank could really develop into a prototype utility, playing on a wing, half-forward or half-back to fill any need required: by the same token, he does look most settled in defence.

I wanted Goddard but Marchbank is a similar beast.
He will suit the crows as he can play either end but will start as support for Talia.
The Harry Taylor comparison is spot on. Kicks and marks just like him. Adelaide have a habit of getting some handy KPPs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Harry Taylor comparison is spot on. Kicks and marks just like him. Adelaide have a habit of getting some handy KPPs
I think Marchbank will be a 200 gamer.

Off to bed so will check back tomorrow arvo, have a good night peoples:)

#15 Gold Coast

Connor Blakely

Position: Midfielder
Height: 187 cm, Weight: 81 kg, DOB: 2/3/1996
Club: Swan Districts

Holy doolie! Is this the first bolter of the draft? Connor Blakely is definitely worthy of a first round pick. Plays almost identically like Callum Ward. The way he runs, attacks the ball and even the way he disposes. If Blakely can perform anywhere to the standard of Ward (who I rate immensely) then he will be a winner. Genuine all rounded midfielder but might lean closer to an inside midfielder. Has the potential to fill out and is a fierce tackler perfectly complementing the leaner builds of the GC midfield (Martin, Bennell, etc.). Perfect replacement for Rischitelli in the future.

Pick 16, North Melbourne:

Kyle Langford

Position: Utility
Height: 190 cm, Weight: 73 kg, DOB: 01/12/1996
Club: Northern Knights

A younger member of this year's crop, Langford is your prototype modern footballer. Tall, agile, quick and possessing great skills (exemplified by his 2nd placing in the kicking test at draft combine), Langford has a seriously high ceiling as an AFL footballer.

Comes into the AFL system physically underdeveloped (almost Josh Bootsma like according to the stats), but this probably won't deter recruiters provided that he interviews sufficiently well.

Langford is very strong in the air, despite his small frame, while he is also a very effective set shot. The risk here is that he could perhaps be lost between the half-back and half-forward lines. Although he has the tools to... dare I say it, run through the midfield in the future. Clubs may thus elect to develop him similarly to Bontempelli.

Amazing what one can conjure from a 3 minute video and brief reading of others' opinions.

Last edited:
North have a pretty good list and they can probably afford to let this guy develop. Langford's an interesting player.

North's greatest need in my opinion is a key defender. Thompson isn't getting any younger and Hansen/Grima aren't brilliant. A quick midfielder to eventually replace Wells would also be handy.

There will be talls available at 25 if necessary but perhaps too early to stretch at 16.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back