Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The right decision not only for the moral and ethical reasons regarding the player's mindsets, but also with regards to the integrity of the competition. Making the final because you got 6 points from this round and SA or NSW only got 1 would not have sat well with anyone.

As an aside I was just hit on the head on the weekend. I was batting without a helmet and managed to knick a ball onto the side of my head, where it ballooned up to first slip. I managed to play the rest of the game and been to the doctors to get it checked out, but I'm lucky that the bowler was slow medium and the ball didn't hit me an inch forward on the head. Very scary in light of what's happened in the last 24 hours. I remember being more annoyed that I'd got out for 49 than the danger I could have been in.

Without changing to tennis ball or similar there is always going to be some risk of these things happening in cricket and not just while batting, fielders, umps and even bowlers can get hit by the ball, I bowl leggies abnd it gets pretty hairy in the nets when bowling to the young 1sts players who are belting it down the ground past your head with those gigantic modern bats, I basically just dive out the way.

but when you consider how much cricket is played around the world and how rarely these things happen its really a freak occurance to be so seriously hurt. Id be willing to bet that more people are seriously hurt driving to and from games of cricket.

Doesnt make it any easier when it does happen of course but we should all get out there and play how we always have this weekend.

The right decision not only for the moral and ethical reasons regarding the player's mindsets, but also with regards to the integrity of the competition. Making the final because you got 6 points from this round and SA or NSW only got 1 would not have sat well with anyone.

respectfully partially disagree there. luck of the draw, although drawing a long long bow if a pitch sustained extreme damages from storms resulting in abandonment of match then no points are awarded i assume.

but yes, calling off round for the other reasons is more than appropriate.

Speaking of past players being lucky to not have something similar happen, i am reminded of an episode of the footy show about 6 years ago or so.

Ricky Ponting was on the show and they had a segment out the back where the panel were given a chance to bowl to him. It appeared to be on a strip of carpet over concrete.

Jonathan Brown was steaming in and kept bowling bouncers at punter. Problem was, that Punter couldn't see the ball due to the lights behind the bowler. Oh and he wasn't wearing a helmet.

Certainly had all the ingredients for a disaster.

Without changing to tennis ball or similar there is always going to be some risk of these things happening in cricket and not just while batting, fielders, umps and even bowlers can get hit by the ball, I bowl leggies abnd it gets pretty hairy in the nets when bowling to the young 1sts players who are belting it down the ground past your head with those gigantic modern bats, I basically just dive out the way.

but when you consider how much cricket is played around the world and how rarely these things happen its really a freak occurance to be so seriously hurt. Id be willing to bet that more people are seriously hurt driving to and from games of cricket.

Doesnt make it any easier when it does happen of course but we should all get out there and play how we always have this weekend.

Even that isn't 100% safe
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...104381204?nk=67f1319c2858f9881a9e3f4822cff919

Yeah, exactly this.

See the case of Jeetan Patel, probably NZ's best offspinner at the moment given Vettori's age. Was smashed by the media, shamed and dropped from the test side after approaching batting against a crazed Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel on a South African greentop by repeatedly backing away behind the stumps and slashing at the ball. That's the thing, talking heads in the media will come out (and to be fair so will we as the public) and say how terrible this is but you just wait for the comments when Johnson is steaming in against some hapless tailender from a side we don't like. It's like Mark Robinson/David King types coming out and preaching for sanity after Jonathan Brown's repeat injuries from excessive courage, but are more than happy to highlight any player who's done a one armed tackle or put in the short steps to avoid a contest.

Yep. Wasn't surprised when Jeets told the NZ selectors to get ****ed when they approached him about going to the West Indies this year.

There was that Indian cricketer who died in Bangladesh in 1998; Raman Lamba was his name. He was actually hit on the head while fielding at short leg, I think.

couple of deaths fielding at short leg actually.

in junior cricket in Perth about 10 years ago a kid died when someone hit a massive slog straight into him at mid wicket, hit him right in the heart. He seemed fine for about 30 seconds then he collapsed and died of a heart attack.

One wonders how this shocking event will affect the mindset of the Aussies in next week's First Test. Dave Warner is one of Hughes' best mates: it'd surely be tough for him to keep his mind on the job at hand, and he'd be no orphan. Tough situation for everybody.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, exactly this.

See the case of Jeetan Patel, probably NZ's best offspinner at the moment given Vettori's age. Was smashed by the media, shamed and dropped from the test side after approaching batting against a crazed Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel on a South African greentop by repeatedly backing away behind the stumps and slashing at the ball. That's the thing, talking heads in the media will come out (and to be fair so will we as the public) and say how terrible this is but you just wait for the comments when Johnson is steaming in against some hapless tailender from a side we don't like. It's like Mark Robinson/David King types coming out and preaching for sanity after Jonathan Brown's repeat injuries from excessive courage, but are more than happy to highlight any player who's done a one armed tackle or put in the short steps to avoid a contest.
I think along similar lines, almost a year ago today is an interesting example. That was when members of the English team clearly experienced intimidatory bowling, yet when the English set-up leaked word of their feeling about this, got laughed at basically.

There was that Indian cricketer who died in Bangladesh in 1998; Raman Lamba was his name. He was actually hit on the head while fielding at short leg, I think.

You actually dont go to think that a fielder can get just as badly injured as a batsmen from a cricket ball. In fact, they are probably more vulnerable given the reaction times needed to evade a ball and yet catch a ball at the same time.

I am surprised we havent seen more injuries.

who is that and why have you copied her tweet?

you guys will complain about moralisers who jump innappropriately on a bad situation, but then you'll ironically do the same thing by highlighting a nobody and creating infamy for them
A feminist obviously. Came up in my news feed when someone replied to it.

Certainly had all the ingredients for a disaster.

Actually, I started thinking about the time Brett Lee bowled to Piers Morgan during the Ashes last year. IIRC, Lee didn't bowl any bouncers to Morgan... but he was aiming for the body. Had Morgan mis-read a ball off the pitch, he could have easily ducked into something.

It seemed like a stupid stunt by Channel Nine at the time. But in retrospect, in seems flat-out culpable.

ha ok

you do realise that by spreading it, you are doing exactly what was intended to happen when she posted the original polemic tweet in the first place, right?

I actually think it highlights your stupidity if anything...

Could be wrong but wasn't that because Rick nearly choked on chewing gum he swallowed after being hit?

Yep. He stopped breathing because his chewie got stuck in his windpipe. One of the Poms - Hendricks I think - belted him in the chest to free his airway and the chewie popped out.

I think SACA banned chewies by batsmen for a while after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back